LPA Monthly Mix-Up March 2015: Dubstep / Hardstyle (Remixer's Choice)

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Mar 3, 2015.

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

[thumb]http://www.lpassociation.com/upload/images/081411-161806_lpamixup_stamp.png[/thumb]

What Is the LPA Monthly Mix-Up?
    LPA Monthly Mix-Up is an ambitious concept intended to showcase the massive amount of musical talent currently unheard among the Linkin Park fan community. Every month, we will be challenging fans to compete and show off their musical skills, using any and all tools available to them to create their entry. At the conclusion of each competition period, our staff will then go through each entry submitted, and pick our absolute favorite to be featured on the site as the "Winner Of The Month". To promote fairness, runner ups will also be shown, but only one lucky Linkin Park fan will walk away with the honor of being featured as the "Monthly Winner". Now that we have that out of the way view this month's theme below.

Our official theme for the month of March 2015 is:

DUBSTEP - OR - HARDSTYLE

Some of you wanted something new, some of you were okay with the existing genre we had chosen (which was Dubstep) therefore the choice is yours. Dubstep or Hardstyle, we'll accept both genres. To preview what Hardstyle sounds like, go here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLci6ErUugM

Also, we will open this to DBS, Fort Minor, and even A Light That Never comes. So if any of you have acapellas of any of those? Today is your lucky day.

Deadline is March 31st 2015 11:59 PM PST.

Good luck. Please note that since this is not a free-for-all month, mashups will not be allowed this round.

OFFICIAL RULES

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

"mashups will not be allowed this round." IF STEVE AOKI CAN, SO CAN WE. YOU'RE NOT MY SUPERVISOR!

jokes aside, this'll be interesting.

Derek

Also, we will open this to DBS, Fort Minor, and even A Light That Never comes. So if you guys have acapellas of any of those? Today is your lucky day.

Elaine

Elaine The One They Call Elaine. LPA VIP

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    lukiaffe

lukiaffe Active Member

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

#MMU2K15 #RUNTHETRVP

brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

/late

:kappa:

Captain-EO likes this.
    A Wretched King

A Wretched King Foreword

lol dub step

Terrible choice

Hybridora

Hybridora Well-Known Member

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

Why is it a terrible choice?

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Don't wanna jump on any hate band wagon, but I have to agree. Not so much a terrible choice, but a redundant choice, at least in terms of electronic based music.
    Most entries if not all usually end up being some type of electronic sound. Now while every now and then we find some that stick out and sound very well made, it would still be nice to present a more organic based MMU, at least imo, or something that stands out. No problem with introducing music with slight synth interplay, but something perhaps more, say rock based, would certainly test the capabilities of some of the remixers on LPA because its out of their norm. Apart from that, LP news-wise, lets face it, as catchy as Horizons is to many of us, the other half certainly wants nothing to do with it. I can't speak for all this forum, but it does seem like many people have already taken in a nice dosage of electronic music since the release of Viscera.

Zak

Zak HEY, EVERYONE! GET IN HERE!

The problem here is that a lot of people think all of electronic dance music = dubstep. Your Horizons comparison is moot because Horizons isn't dubstep. You're also assuming that just because dubstep is an electronic genre that a lot of the MMU regulars would be comfortable with it. I can think of many MMUers that do not or have not ever made dubstep e.g. Lizzi Cloverman, Glenn.

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

That was actually a point I forgot to make, and you covered it. Regardless if you wanna call people uneducated or judgmental about their lack of knowledge toward electronic music, the truth stands. There are plenty of people that simply call all electronic based music something like dubstep because it sounds the same to them. I chose Horizons because its the newest track available to us and a good example. Of course something like house sounds pretty much nothing like dubstep, but whether its ignorance or zero comprehension on the topic, it still stands that many people consider it to be just one big redundant genre, and in some instances I'll admit I'm on the same boat. Recharged is a highly disliked album for the fact that its entirely electronic based, not because its got edm here. a bit of dubstep there, or occasionally some drum and bass.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

It's been 3 years since we last had a dumbstep MMU, let go.

Derek

Actually over 3 years. Almost four.

No offense, but did any of you actually read the description or did you just jump on the hate bandwagon because it's a 'redundant' genre? Because if you had you'd understand why this is being done. We haven't had an MMU for about two months, so to 'reboot' the MMU and "start it over" I'm starting it where it began, which was with Dubstep all the way back in August of 2011. It's been nearly 4 years that the MMU has existed, and this is a way to look back.

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Also , if you dont like it, why do you care. Just wait for the next MMU then . Just my 2 cents. :shrug:

Captain-EO likes this.
    the enigma

the enigma The Routine Scar

I'm officially placing a vote for an acoustic MMU.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

To go off on this tangent ... those people are frankly stupid to have expected anything other than electronic music on a remix album. :sleep:

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

As I stated, I'm not on any hate wagon. Not jumping the gun and picking on people or saying anyone is either, and I get where you're coming from, but rather than looking back, we can keep looking forward. Pick new genre to touch base on outside of the box, as well as working with the new LPU14/MALL material, and finishing up the rest of the THP tracks we didn't cover. Newer genre/themes/approaches/etc are what would truly help in reigniting a spark for the MMUs, at least imo :)

Back in September 2011, the MMU was to do an acoustic/unplugged cover of an LP track. This, imo, was a great round because
    it introduced the vocal element into play which made the entries that much more interesting, only problem was the lack of entries.
    http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34789
    Regardless, I like the suggestion, its more so outside of the box as I was mentioning before :lol:

I have to agree. I brought up that point because its an obvious one.

MagmaXtreme

MagmaXtreme Well-Known Member

Totally agree with this, people should try different things and I think that could be outside mainstream electronic genres. The MMU should challenge the community and help them to grow/evolve as musicians, as well as bring something interesting to the table for listeners to consume and elaborate with their ears.

There are so many things that haven't been done yet, and those are the way to truly drive this forward (imo). You could do something crazy like have an MMU based on making songs from samples (chillwave/vapourwave) or give themes such as:

-organic/raw
    -Atmospheric/ambient
    -Jazz & hip-hop fusion
    -Experimental pop (or just experimental)

And maybe before introducing these new ideas you could have the community vote on a topic which they would like to participate in. I won't be surprised if there aren't that many entries for this topic...

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015