"Session" - Song by Song, Let's Talk Linkin Park

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by hawk, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Victimized was a big surprise to me when i listen too at the first time. Something fresh and heavy.
    My favorite part of the song is the folkish singing of Mike in the first verse. Really, really great. The dark atmosphere that turns in one of the most brutal LP riffs, wow. Chesters part isnt that special, just screaming VICTIMIZED 4 times in a row, but it adds the brutal vocals to the brutal riff. Thats fitting. There is something in Mikes second verse that makes me a bit grinchy, but the lyrics are cool thought.
    Sadly the Victimized/Qwerty Mash Up wasnt played on the THP Tour (the European one for sure :kappa:), it would fit perfectly. Nevermind. Perfect cut for the VISCERAL SIDE OF LT and a good way to start the more mellow part.

The only questionable thing on this song for me is the intro. JUST TELL US MIKE, :WTF: is THIS!

Captain-EO likes this.
  2. Tocaraca

Tocaraca A part of me screams away silently

I'm pretty sure the intro is Mike singing. He sings it live in a distorted voice, which I think fits really well in the song.
    I love the rap verse, and I'm glad no one has critisised it yet.
    If only there was another rap verse and a proper bridge. The song is always over too quickly, and I can't miss any of the song wihout me missing 2/5 of it. Good song tho'.

3. Michele

Thats the meaning of "punkish" songs, short and IN YOUR FACE :lol:
    You could also see War as an example.

Captain-EO likes this.
  4. Captain-EO

Captain-EO Also Prog Nerd Now, Thanks Gibs LPA Super Member

:facepalm:
    There's a reason why it's called punk-influenced.

5. Michele

To his defence, i am sure he isnt that much into punk stuff :lol:

Captain-EO likes this.
  6. Captain-EO

I'm only kidding. I thought caustic sarcasm was the standard here.

7. Josh

Josh Met LP 8-13-14 LPA VIP

Victimized was one of the great songs during the LT era and arguably now.

Chester and MIKE are very on point for the song, very well done. I wish it was a little bit longer or more of an ending. But the song was made to be quick like a punch.

I am still kinda surprised that victimized made it onto LT somehow. I always wonder why they went with it on the record even though it's kind of out of place. In the end, who cares, it's badass.

8. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

The folk influence is more a reference to the gang vocals found in Battle Axe that sounded very folky, but later transformed into the opening we have now.

And no, it does not ACTUALLY say "Linkin Park going back to their roots" - it was just what fans interpreted when they first heard it. I just thought it was a cool interpretation considering the song is easily the heaviest the band had in years and displayed a lot of traits found originally in their roots.

9. TheZlajaZlo

TheZlajaZlo Closing LPA Super Member

The heaviest song they have made IMO, it's a banger. Love it. But I don't agree with Chester's quote that Mike's rap on this is some of his best. It's pretty basic if you ask me...

10. Tyler

Tyler Well-Known Member

Victimized is great for being less than 2 minutes. A bunch of fun different sections to it, not spectacular but still fun. I wish they would have kept the gang vocals or included it on the remix. They should do one or two short songs like this on the albums. Rob's drumming is great too.

Mike's remix is repetitive but it is very energetic. Joe incorporated it into his Medley last year which is pretty cool.

Live, Mike can't sing, but the rest sounds good. Brad and Dave do a lot of the samples, so I wonder what Joe's job is on it. When it turns into QWERTY, that is just awesome.

And here's a video of the recording of it with gang vocals:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3ykZgTtfls#t=675

Some of the early lyrics:

Build me up from the depths of my despair
    Make me whole and deserving
    And then I'll take back the
    Make me

At the start I was [full of something true]
    In the end I was nothing
    [And I will promise you one thing]
    [I will never be fooled again]

From the start I was [helpless in your hands]
    After all I was nothing
    And I will promise you I'll never let again
    Won't be hurt again

And it sounds like they each did a different take on it.

This post is longer than Victimized

11. Michele

Wow , that intro were amazing, hopefully we will got smetimes a Demo with this version!

Captain-EO likes this.
  12. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Victimized is a total fucking banger. All those different elements pieced together fit so fucking great. The remix is a monster aswell.

13. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Victimized" is one of my two or three favourites on "Living Things". :) Chester delivers great vocals, Shinoda delivers a decent (if brief) verse, IMO, one of his best in the last few years; there isn't a single moment of the song that I dislike.

14. GraveDigger388

GraveDigger388 Nothing's gonna top my Jacky

Ah...Victimized.
    Honestly,this song doesn't really get my attention.I read a youtube comment once,said something like "Victimized sound's like an 8 year old just banging the drums,so all over the place".And honestly,I think he has the point.I'm not saying I don't like this song AFTER I read that comment,but in fact,that comment pointed out what I felt uh...Not right with this song.It's a banger of course,especially when it's combined with QWERTY.But that's it.I don't feel anything special.The only thing that saves this song for me is the intro.Not rap,not the screams,not the instrumentation.

15. American_Idiot07

American_Idiot07 Member

I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't like this song. It's one of the wost songs of LT. In fact, I actually consider it one of their worst songs along with crawling. I just think it's too cheesy and wierd for some reason.

16. minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

"Cheesy" is rightfully a negative descriptor but, with Linkin Park, anything that could be considered "weird", or at least more than ordinary, is good to me

17. Bawa

Bawa Could wait to see tomorrow.

Totes death metal :kappa:

18. Captain-EO

Just let it be, if that's what he wants to think just let him think it.

But we know in our hearts what is true.

19. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Yes, i understand that it is not actually death metal... But when Chester himself describes Victimized as "folk, then rapidly dips into hip-hop, punk rock, death metal and back to folk music", I'm going write that yes it carries certain ELEMENTS of the genre in the song. Even if they aren't readily apparent at the surface.

20. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

Victimized may include elements of Metal, but in no way is it Death Metal. Even if Chester thinks it does, I think it just goes to show his ignorance of the genre. If anything, Victimized is influenced by Hardcore/Metalcore

[video=youtube;JgmIHhGv_Wc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgmIHhGv_Wc[/video]

Totally sounds like Victimized man. :kappa:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2015
    Captain-EO likes this.