Official LIVING THINGS Review Thread

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Ben, Jun 15, 2012.

1. Nobody Can Shave Me Now

Nobody Can Shave Me Now Formerly known as Ron Jeremy LPA VIP

I love it. I'm not even going to rate it. Just love it. Thats all.

2. Kmid24

Kmid24 Well-Known Member

LIVING THINGS Album Review

I had very high expectations for LIVING THINGS and it delivered. Linkin Park has made yet another master piece, a very brilliant collection of songs. These songs are all so good it's hard to give any of them a bad rating. Only Linkin Park can create an album with multiple genres and make it work so well. The album isn't as much of a firecraker album as I expected based on the reviews, it's more midtempo and ballid strick'n album. I must say that the songs are in a very good order sort of like ATS they flow very well into each other. My song ratings...

BEST - WORST
    1. LOST IN THE ECHO: 10/10
    This is easily Linkin Park's best album opener (intro). The intro insturmentation sounds like battle music, it sounds like going to war, and that's a good thing. It creates the mood for Mike's very solid, creative rap he delivers with the perfect tempo. My personal favorite chours of this album comes in with Chester singing pitch perfect a very catchy and creative selection of lines "In these promises broken /deep below/ each word gets lost in the echo" in a way only Chester can. This song I believe is a confidence booster, and it's definitly something I can listen to over and over again for years to come. It surely is classic LP in there prime.

2. UNTIL IT BREAKS: 10/10
    UIB is just plain incredible, never a dull moment, a song I will always be in the mood to listen to. Mike owns this song with 3 very hard rap verses which are some of the best he's ever done. Chester prays for the strength of the rising sun and BRAD SINGS! Brad Delson is actually a good singer, singing a genius lulaby to close the song with the peaceful sound of rushing wind behind him. Mike's rap is something I head bang to it's just that hard, his 3rd rap verse is like a very polished mix of Rap, Rock and Reggae. The beat sounds like a hard synth with a ton of reverb. This song could possbly change music forever, it's almost like they cheated. Truth is there are no rules to music but if there were this would break a ton of them with what sounds like 4 seperate songs attached together and three vocalists. great lyrics, great raps, amazing song, and very unique.

3. ROADS UNTRAVELLED 10/10
    RU is a beautiful song with a beautiful meaning. This track starts with what sounds like wind an unending wind pattern layered with beautiful piano chords that matches the songs melody. Mike sings in a voice I've never heard him with, and it's very pure like it's coming from the heart. Whoa oh ohhh oh whoa's come in to let you swallow the stunning vocals and lyrics you have just encountered. Chester comes in and I swear when the line "May your love never end and if you need a friend there's a seat along side me" comes I get shivers. Chesters voice is most prominent but Mike sings in the background with an unearthly angel's falsetto voice. The song sounds dark but to me it's a very optimistic number which I with love forever. The lyrics speak to me, as I'm sure the do with many.

4. CASTLE OF GLASS 10/10
    COG moves along really well from start to end. Mike sings beautifully with beatiful lyrics intertwinned very well with Chester's voice. The harmony and interplay between the two is mid blowing. The touch of folk is a big step in the right direction, it's what makes the lyrics so believable. With lyrics starting off "Take me down to the river bend, wash this poison off my skin, show me how to be whole again" you think that's the best they've got but they only get better. Beautiful lyrics, and a beautiful meaning. This song's theme is nearly unbeatable. Just imagine a Castle of Glass, that's how beautiful this song is.

5. IN MY REMAINS 10/10
    Starts off with genius DJ work from Mr. Hahn leading into Chester singing about promises that were never fulfilled in his life, and never will be. Chester's verses are catchy and his chours even more with an incrediablly good melody. Mike sings "like an army falling one by one by one" which starts off a little errie and changes from that to epic when Chester steps in to sing with him. It reminds me a when Mike sang "lifts me up let me go" on The Cataylst and Chester stepping in to sing it with him (louder) The outro made this song as good as it can be. Chester sings great lyrics with a voice as good as it gets while you still hear mike repeating "one by one by one" echoed out in the background. Very, very good song.

6. SKIN TO BONE 9.5/10
    Mike sings very softly "Skin to Bone/Dust to Dust" on top of a never ending beat. Mike progressivley gets louder repeating this along with other clever analogies. Chester matches Mike's tone and sings along with him "Ash to Ashes/Dust to Dust". The beat is fantastic by the way, the instrumentation alone would sound very well. This competes with the like of COG and RU because it's a soft errie folk rock song (hard to explain). It's very good but COG and RU are a little better. Perphaps these lyrics were a little too repeatative.

7. I'LL BE GONE 9.5/10
    Very solid song, everything a song needs to be good is included in this. It includes an insturmental intro, verse 1, chours, verse 2, chours, bridge, chours, and an insturmental outro. Instantly the intro draws you in. The lyrics like every other song on the album are great and Chester's vocal's soar singing "I'll Be Gone". The melody to this song is one of the best on the album, catchy as hell. I can imagine gazeing into the stary night sky istening to this song and I probably will. This will surely be a repeat in my iTunes.

8. LIES GREED MISERY 9.5/10
    LGM is just awesome. Starts off with a really cool sound scratchy sound on top of a cheery upbeat beat, leading into an explosive rap verse from Mike. Mike's rap on this is really cool, it's another distrack with just as much creativity as his previous distracks. Chester comes in singing "I wanna see you choke on your lies, swallow up your greed, suffer all alone in you misery". I love how it sounds so cheery while the lyrics are so harsh/dark. Chester lightly repeats you did it to yourself, until he screams it. Short song but very action packed.

9. POWERLESS 9.5/10
    Great Song. These lyrics are emotionally relatable. The intro's lyrics I thought were fantastic "You hid your skeletons when I have shown you mine" and "10,000 promises, 10,000 ways to lie". The piano work is beautiful, great beat. This track reminds me of Iridescent with the piano, lyrics, and ballad like feel. It's just a moving piece that's hard to forget. The ohh, oh, ohh's in the background really help well, and the way Chester sing "Powerless" at the end was finaminal. Powerless, far from it. POWERLESS is Powerful!

10. BURN IT DOWN 9/10
    BID Is an incredibly solid song. It has everything it takes to be a good song plus more. It's got a nice rap from Mike matching the vocals, and the song's meaning quite well. The synths are outstanding, I was blown away of how good LP worked them into the song. I remembered the first time I heard this I genuinely smiled, LP really delivered a great song. I was a little concerned that this one would be the best, but I was seriously wrong. This is a great song but it's definitely not LT's best. It's just not creative enough to be the best. The verses are great lyrically, the chours is rocking, the rap is pretty good and Joe has a nice outro in this. Overall a very good, solid LP song.

11. VICTIMIZED 9/10
    This track starts off with hard drums/beat and ends hard. Mike's singing is genius, has a great melody, in which I'm disappointed in of how short it is. When Chester screams it is very hard but not as hard as I expected. Chester's screams are enjoyable yet, bad lyrics and bad melody to them. Mike's rap in the end is one of his best he's done but it doesn't fully repay the continuous repeat of the word victimized. Overall I admire the creativity of the track as a whole and in context with the album. I admire it's uniqueness dearly. Victimized is a great track, I do actually love it but it can't compete with the rest the album has to offer.

12. TINFOIL 8.5/10
    Pretty damn good. Definitally LP reconizable. Hypnotic, atomoshereic It sounds like a few songs on the album and creates a nice mood in preperation for the Powerful POWERLESS. It is a short inturlude however, and nothing about it made me go "wow". Still very nice.

Linkin Park never seises to amaze, inspire and make me love them even more with each new release. These songs will always remain with me at all times, not only on my iPod but in my heart.

LIVING THINGS 10/10

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012
  3. Pay-per-cut

Pay-per-cut Well-Known Member

I feel the same way bro, when I listened to the album all the way through. I helped me actually charish my current relationship. In Roads Untravled, when Mike sings:

Weep not for roads untraveled
    Weep not for paths left lone
    Cause beyond every bend is a long blinding end
    Its the worst kind of pain I've known

Lately I have been crushing for a girl outside the relationship and well, I never thought of it that way where all relationships have the same results. Why end something that isn't broken and start from square one?

Very good album.

4. millertd0513

millertd0513 Member

Which is a good thing. I'm a bit tired of hearing political preaching in my music. I loved ATS and to a lesser extent MTM, but they got a bit preachy.

5. OmarAbaza999

OmarAbaza999 Active Member

well its gr8 to here a feedback and not just the regular "all u say is crap" kinda replies
    the only reason roads untravelled didnt get a higher rating is as i mentioned bad production to this specific song and unnecessary experimentation with brads voice which i found kinda irritating tbh. anyways i agree with you that castle of glass is generic and whatever people say this is just an opinion and i would be happy to read theirs even if it is against mine. Thank you krylon, rock on :headbang:

bro if you look up my review in the prvious page you will find a description by me of why this song deserves a 9/10
    let me know what you think and if there is anything more to add :)

6. mastae

mastae Some Honky

Victimized is now the most misunderstood Linkin Park song lol

It's iight if you don't like it, however to say "it's just a really messy song" is to miss the point.

7. lpfaneki

lpfaneki i don't know what's worth fighting for

Man, this album is THE album.... i had something like you, but i was with my girl , 3 years......

so for me .... Powerless may be a song that felt my heart .... lyrically....

oh God ..... THIS ALBUM........

8. Spiderguy252

Spiderguy252 Awaiting LP in India

9. Sunset

Sunset Well-Known Member

It's 10.000 ways to lose

Nice review, I agree with almost everything in the first lines

10. Spiderguy252

My thoughts are below. I ain't big on Victimized either.

http://spydistrict.com/2012/06/living-things-by-linkin-park/

11. Qwerty19

Qwerty19 Well-Known Member

Yep, this :)

12. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

1. Lost In The Echo - 9/10 - big opener, which mixes the harder sounds of Hybrid Theory and Meteora with the electronic noises of A Thousand Suns
    2. In My Remains - 9/10 - big intro, awesome chorus and an awesome outro make it great
    3. Burn It Down - 6/10 - this is a little too poppy for me, like the electronics, and the rap
    4. Lies Greed Misery - 8/10 - nice, Skrillex-y electronics, and a big, catchy chorus make it great
    5. I'll Be Gone - 9/10 - another high-energy song with an awesome chorus, electronics and guitars
    6. Castle of Glass - 10/10 - I believe this is what they call absolute, mindblowing perfection, perfect from the top to the bottom
    7. Victimized - 9/10 - Holy Crap!
    8. Roads Untraveled - 8/10 - perfect lyrics, and a choiry chorus are just awesome
    9. Skin To Bone - 10/10 - so awesome! folk-electro, big beats make an amazing song
    10. Until It Breaks - 7/10 - along with BID I consider this the weakest song of the album, but, it's growing on me
    11. Tinfoil - 4/10 - LP's worst instrumental ever
    12. Powerless - 9/10 - an amazing finish, with awesome lyrics, and a great ending, this is the perfect end of Living Things

Album: 8.7/10 Living Things is really a great album, but it's cant be compared to HT, not because it's not good enough, but because Living Things feature more electronics, and softer songs, which turned out to be mindblowing. I'm really excited to see the professional reviews of it.

13. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

BURN IT DOWN is like that boring guy no one wants to hang out with now. :lol:

14. Filip

hahahaha, so true!

15. -NodA-

-NodA- Well-Known Member

I think we can't evaluate Tinfoil as an intrumental (even if it basically is). It's just an intro to Powerless. So if we compare Tinfoil, it's more to an ATS instrumental than CFTI or Session.

With that said, Tinfoil totally blows Empty Spaces :headbang:

ROFL Totally agree with your comparison !

16. Spiderguy252

Thanks for the opinions so far, folks. A little surprised to see that most disagree with my review, tbh.

I didn't bash the album up that bad did I. After all, I gave it a 4/5 rating. :cool:

17. Filip

I couldn't disagree with you more on some points of your review.

Anyway: bash Linkin Park = Get bashed, they have a pretty cruel fanbase for haters. :cool:

18. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

Nah, it's cool. It's nice too see a well-written fanmade review as compared to the OMGDISALBUMAWESOME.

If I would rate ANY LP album, i wouldn't give any album a perfect score. :lol:

19. Stino LPLeaks

Stino LPLeaks Well-Known Member

I was going to say "good review" until I noticed the spelling mistakes in it. Just read it once more and correct them. Credibility you know... ;)
    Now about the review itself. I have to disagree with you on some points.

VICTIMIZED is one of the songs you need to hear a few times before you like it. It's okay if you don't like it but calling it an interlude? (Hint: listen to the first album of The Vaccines, full of your so called "interludes".

SKIN TO BONE too chaotic and noisy? Imo, it's exactly the opposite.

And again, IN MY REMAINS is so underrated

20. AaronJxD

AaronJxD Well-Known Member

Yeah it was the same for me, I got out of a near 6 month long relationship at the start of this month and felt terrible, I was depressed, pushing people away from me, locking myself in my room for days etc. but when this album came out I felt great, it's really helped me.