Do You Think Linkin Park Will Last?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Gloomy Mushroom, Feb 22, 2011.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Music is music. You can always compare.

Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

Maybe, but seeing the way things turned out for DBS I'd say otherwise.

SecondCityKids

SecondCityKids Hey John, What's Your Name Again? LPA Super Member

Yeah the large majority of people didn't find anything all that special about DBS. I personally found it pointless. It was boring and had no replay value but that's just me

Jake

Jake Give me reason

I like Fort Minor, I like DBS. Both had weak tracks and strong tracks.
    I think DBS was never promoted well enough. That's that.

Back to the point, Linkin Park is here to stay.

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

In this instance it is necessary, as some people are of the opinion that LP wouldn't have been successful without Chester.
    I simply compared Linkin Park's success to that of Dead By Sunrise, which also had Chester in it; which failed in comparison.

P.S. Fort Minor is awesome

Like some comments above, I actually think Dead By Sunrise failed because of its terrible promotion.
    Fort Minor had alot of it, especially with their single Where'd you go.

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

^^^^^^

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

DBS was just not that great. I'm sorry. It was way too dark for it to be popular.

I guess Let Down could have had potential but that's about it.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

It wasn't a great deal different to a lot of rock music that does get popular, so maybe it could have. It's not like everything that does do well commercially is unquestionably good.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Promotion issues aside, DBS just isn't that good a band. Walking in circles and a few other tracks were good but tracks like Crawl Back In, and all the other heavier ones just were too bland and flat.

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

For Foo'ksake dude, I agree with you! I loved Out of Ashes. I personally love DBS as much as FM. Course you can't compare them, there both completely different. Its just the promotion & the mixing that I disliked about the project! :lol:

TimeSpree

TimeSpree Banned

I didn't like what they did to Let Down, when the acoustic version was on Myspace it sounded awesome, but then they over produced it a year later, took the soul out of it and tried to turn it into some Depeche Mode track, that disappointed me, not to mention the awful music video for it, it made them look like a parody band or something.
    I thought that overall the album sounded a little dated and above all, a lot of the material just sounded a little pretentious and too cliche to me.

Benjamin

I actually like Let Down. It's pretty decent. I also like Crawl Back In and Walking in Circles. The rest is actually not terrible but not that great either. Except Give Me You Name was poison to my ears.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Manu

Manu Seeking tenderness with a dagger

What he said.

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

This. In the long run of things, I don't really listen to Dead By Sunrise all that much. The only songs I really feel are worth listening to are Walking In Circles, Fire, In The Darkness, and Into You. The other songs, like Crawl Back In, tend to really fade away after awhile, and I really kinda lost interest in them.

Dean

The thing is though, bands such as Nickelback and Disturbed and Red aren't exactly undoubtably good and they do okay in the charts in America. I listened to the DBS album once then deleted it from my computer, but I wouldn't say it's any better or worse or has any less commercial potential than those bands.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    Benjamin

First of all, Nickelback does more than "okay" here :lol:. And I haven't heard a DBS song that sounds remotely like Photograph, If Today Was You Last Day, etc. Nickelback's latest stuff especially screams mainstream and a lot of the songs are obviously intended for teenage girls to jam out to. Out of the Ashes not so much.

Dean

Yeah, Nickelback are pretty big in a lot of places (shut up). I know they aren't precisely the same but putting it broadly it is pretty much all straightforward hard rock that shouldn't find it too hard to get a decent amount of airplay on the right radio stations. And none of those bands are universally loved or anything.

The difference is that they actually have sales that outnumber the amount of people who talk shit about them on the internet, whereas DBS probably didn't sell many more copies than the amount of people talking shit about it in this thread haha.

ThaHandyman

ThaHandyman Banned

Did no one like fire? I thought it was clearly the best choice for a single, and if promoted properly would have gotten DBS somewhere. I thought it was a great song.

p.s. My mind was blown when I heard 'Too Late' on college radio the other day. Good stuff.

Dean

If Fire is the opening track then that's really good and could probably have done alright as a single. For me the rest of the album didn't really live up to it though.