ARTISTdirect Review of Linkin Park's The Hunting Party by Rick Florino

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, May 30, 2014.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

ARTISTdirect have posted their "First Reaction" to Linkin Park's new album The Hunting Party and you can check it out below. The impressions are written by none other than Rick Florino who is known for his previous articles related to the band at ARTISTdirect. Does this make you more excited for the album? Read the article below and share your favourite quotes on the LPA Forum.

Linkin Park deliver a new kind of heavy on The Hunting Party. Now, this isn't simply a retread of their first two classics Hybrid Theory and Meteora. No, it's actually fiercer, fierier, and more fluid. This is a band sharpened by years of experience on the road and five previous studio albums. These are men on a mission. Mind you, they succeed with flying colors too, redefining what heavy can mean in the process as all timeless hard rock records should.

"Keys to the Kingdom" begins with a warbling and warped scream from Chester Bennington before galloping into a distinct deadly Brad Delson six-string crescendo. Rob Bourdon bashes out a bruising groove like his life depends on it, while Dave "Phoenix" Farrell deftly throws down on the bass punctuated by Joe Hahn's electronic wizardry. Mike Shinoda drops his signature fire as all of the elements forge together into a teeth kicking opening anthem a propos for any festival worldwide.

The pummeling continues on "All for Nothing" with a little help from Helmet's Page Hamilton. A towering wall of distortion can barely contain Bennington's feral howl, and everything punches with undeniable potency. The first single "Guilty All the Same" enlists an incendiary verse from Rakim, while Shinoda and Bennington fire back and forth punishingly. Airy and atmospheric, a minute-long interlude "The Summoning" sets the stage for the band's most explosive salvo to date, "War". Gnashing punk grit clashes with cybernetic thrash for a two-minute onslaught fortified by impressive soloing from Delson—who truly steps into the spotlight on this album as a modern guitar god. Bennington's screams pierce in the best way possible as well. Shinoda grabs the mic again on "Wastelands", lyrically lighting up some of his best verses since "Nobody's Listening", while the single "Until It's Gone" functions as a bombastic and booming call-to-arms.

Another standout, "Rebellion", sees Linkin Park team up with System of a Down shredder and singer Daron Malakian. He provides a distinct Middle Eastern groove as everybody teams up on a united vocal that's powerful enough to incite revolution. This is a special moment as it codifies the lasting power of the turn-of-the-century rock scene which spawned both groups. One more legend, Mr. Tom Morello pf Rage Against the Machine lends some mind-bending fretwork to "Drawbar", an entrancing instrumental emblematic of their diversity.

"Final Masquerade" should serve as the soundtrack to a film's climax it's so cinematic and chilling. Once again, the boys expand their songwriting seamlessly, drawing true emotion from this moment. However, "A Line in the Sand" is their most epic cut to date teetering between subtle balladry and volatile vocal explosions to a backdrop of instrumental intricacy.

Linkin Park promised a heavy record. Not only did they make good on that process, but they also changed the game in the process. This isn't just a party for longtime fans and heavy music lovers everywhere, it's one of the best albums of the year.

Source: ARTISTdirect via Seanlp608

Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

I am sure that this will be my favorite song on THP. Finally i get the HYPE again *CHOCHOOOOOOO* :worship:

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

LOL!

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

"cybernetic thrash".

Jeff

Jeff WORSHIP LPA Addicted VIP

Brad Delson... a modern rock god? Seriously? :rofl:

Broman

Broman Well-Known Member

Pathetic.

Alexrednex

Alexrednex Well-Known Member

Yep I am not going to fall for the hype train again :D
    Pretty over the top reaction but at least we get some!

Also this: lyrically lighting up some of his best verses since "Nobody's Listening" - WTF

Haha I bet Mark the graves will be the best song on the record since he didn't review that one :D

Faker

Faker Well-Known Member

This isn't just a party for longtime fans and heavy music lovers everywhere, it's one of the best albums of the year.

THIS

Keyboard Warrior

Keyboard Warrior Well-Known Member

Worst review i've ever read.

"Rob Bourdon bashes out a bruising groove like his life depends on it, while Dave "Phoenix" Farrell deftly throws down on the bass punctuated by Joe Hahn's electronic wizardry. Mike Shinoda drops his signature fire as all of the elements forge together"
    Could he be more fucking vague? I still know nothing about the song other than it starts with Chesters screaming.

Try-hard Chimi

Try-hard Chimi Well-Known Member

makes me cringe everytime

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Gonna add it here tonight. :)

Rick Florino doing his stuff as usual.

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I just woke up and see this!

I love this time of year cause of all the news :)

abbaslp

abbaslp Fortyoneaxes

?

where is mark the graves?

lpmadness

lpmadness Well-Known Member

It got lost in the echo

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is ridiculous how over the top this is, and how predictable he is as a journalist. Every album review is the same thing and every album "changes the game". Three albums in a row now.

Dimitris "the Parker"

Dimitris "the Parker" "One For The Road"

Poetry and very metaphoric review,not the best i think to describe a song !

Faker

Faker Well-Known Member

guys why you kill the hype ?

Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I think the best way to look at this review is just checking his descriptions for stuff we've already listen to and compare them with what we've got. Think he was too excited writing this lol..With that said I'm still confident I'll love this album front to back, I can't wait to listen to it, just a couple more weeks away.

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Either this is the biggest overstatement of the year or we are in for the biggest surprise of the century.

...I'm going to have to go with the former option.

Mercedes AMG

Mercedes AMG Vrooom vroooom!!

Weird review but oh well, at least we got to read something lol
    On a side note -
    IMG_20140530_193327.jpg
    Don't know about the odds but hope they play a new song live tonight. :D

Attached Files: