Your Favourite Current Songwriters

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Methybrea, Jul 19, 2006.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Who writes songs (musically and/or lyrically) that you really appreciate? Are they innovative, can you relate to them, or do they just plain rock? Well, post them here.

To keep it simple, let's mention our favourite CURRENT songwriters so that we don't get into classic rock and all that, because it would be come too difficult for me at least. Anyways, here's mine:

- Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree): For both his music and his lyrics. His music ranges from the electronically dominated space rock of his past to his pop experimentations to his currently prog-metal tinged writing. Also, his lyrics are dark, clever, and very deep.

- Daniel Gildenlow (Pain of Salvation, ex-The Flower Kings): Like the man above, principal songwriter/lyricist/singer/guitarist behind his respective band Pain of Salvation. He has a unique writing style that can churn out the most beautiful captivating melodies and then on the next song the most technical, challenging music that keeps you listening. Their last album included a 10-piece orchestra as he delved into some of his deepest subject matter yet.

- Kevin Moore (Chroma Key, OSI, ex-Dream Theater): After writing much of Dream Theater's early material, which is some of the best progressive music since the genre began, he branched out into a solo career, which was much different from his past band. He focused on ambience and feel rather than technique, creating unique soundscapes with keyboards, samples, and loops. His sublime vocals and dark grooves have created a style that is undoubtedly his own. His OSI project has him teaming up with guitarist Jim Mattheos, providing great atmospherics and subtle keyboard textures over his guitar work. Easily the most underrated songwriter ever!

- John Frusciante (Red Hot Chili Peppers): In my opinion, John ranks as one of the greatest songwriters of ALL-TIME! Indeed, few can argue his knack for creating (or co-writing) classics such as "Under the Bridge", "Scar Tissue", "Californication", "Around the World", and "Venice Queen" with the Red Hot Chili Peppers. His contributions to The Mars Volta studio albums are stunning. But very few know of his solo career which has solidified his reputation as a great songwriter. In 2004, he released no less than SEVEN solo albums with over 5 hours of material, at one point recording an album a month. Even more staggering was the fact that each album is a musical statement in itself with a different style from one to the other. He can write amazing chord progressions and melodies, using subtle but effective textures from his guitar and keyboards. His vocals are some of the most emotional, with exceptional delivery that makes it perfect for each song. If you want a taste of Frusciante's excellent songwriting, get his album "Shadows Collide With People" or any other solo album he has, they are all amazing.

- Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, ex-Bloodbath): Hands down, most talented songwriter right now, PERIOD. This guy knows virtually no traditional music theory yet he can write not only complex compositions but also some of the most emotional, interesting songs in modern music. This is why this progressive death metal band has made it onto a major label and is selling the way it does. Brutal and crunchy death metal sections lead way to amazing acoustic interludes. Mikael's soloing style has become more refined and is showing his jazz/blues influences on his new material. I can't wait to hear the new stuff he has in store for us!

Honourable mentions:
    Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (The Mars Volta)
    Neal Morse (ex-Spocks Beard, ex-Transatlantic)
    Herbie Hancock
    Roine Stolt (The Flower Kings, Kaipa, ex-The Tangent)

Cale.

Cale. Banned

Chris Cornell pre-Audioslave.

Sure Audioslave are good but the song structure is the same every song. Chris Cornell's songwriting throughout Soundgarden, Temple of the Dog and Euphoria Morning is sublime. He wrote the music and lyrics for most Soundgarden & TOTD songs aswell as the entire Euphoria Morning album. Skilled in songwriting is this man, not to mention an amazing singer.

The variety he has displayed when even just looking at the evolution of Soundgarden can't go un-noticed.

El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Reznor. Trent Reznor.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

EDIT: Making a decent top3:

01.Jared Leto (30 Seconds To Mars)
    02. Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)
    03.John Frusciante (RHCP)

Past:
    100% Kurt Cobain.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2006
    Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Max Bemis (Say Anything) - Some of the lines he comes out with are just amazing and extremely original. If I've read up correctly, he wrote all the instrument parts for their last album ...Is A Real Boy except for the drums. Also, the guitar parts he writes are fairly complex considering that there's like, no solos and such in the songs.

Other than him I'd say that whoever writes the lyrics in Forgive Durden is awesome and some of the lyrics by Cute Is What We Aim For are great aswell. I could go on for ages about bands that have lyrics which I think are great though.

I'd say I appreciate NFG's stuff because it's just fun music.

Evil Angel

Evil Angel Ambient

steve harris-iron maiden.

anysong which this man composes turns into a classic.simply amazing sense of timing knows music theory well

james hetfield/lars ulrich-this duo produced probably one of the best metal songs ever.

chris cornell-skywalker took the words out of my mouth

Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Mike Shinoda (I don't know but I'm addicted to his lyrics)

...Lauren?

...Lauren? Sadist Sagittarius

*blank stare* I can't believe it, but I actually don't know who the main songwriter for Mudvayne is.

I think it's Chad Gray, so I'll just say Chad Gray. The stuff from Lost And Found is my personal favorite, but the stuff from End Of All Things To Come is pretty awesome too.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

John Frusciante definitely. His stuff is quite amazing.

Caitlin

Caitlin Guest

Daniel Johns

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Lyricists;

01. Dallas Green (Alexisonfire/City And Colour)
    02. Jared Leto (30 Seconds To Mars)
    03. Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
    04. Maynard James Keenan (Tool/A Perfect Circle)
    05. Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters)

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

John Petrucci (Dream Theater, Liquid Tension Experiment)
    Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth, Katatonia, Bloodbath)
    Maynard James Keenan (Tool, A Perfect Circle)
    Josh Homme (Queens of the Stone Age, Eagles of Death Metal, Kyuss)
    Omar Rodriguez Lopez (The Mars Volta, At The Drive-In)
    Devin Townsend (Strapping Young Lad, The Devin Townsend Band, Devin Townsend)

Of Old:

Dave Mustaine (MegaDeth, MD.45)
    Zach de la Rocha (Rage Against the Machine)
    (Can't think of anymore right now, and I have to go, edit later :p)

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

01: Scooter Ward (Cold)
    02: Shaun Morgan (Seether)
    03: Mark Saaresto (Poets of the Fall)
    04: Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails)
    05: Corey Taylor (Stone Sour/Slipknot)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

To have a more comprehensive list...

Daniel Johns (Silverchair, The Dissociatives)
    John Frusciante (solo stuff, RHCP)
    Trent Reznor (NIN)
    Billy Corgan (Smashing Pumpkins, Zwan)
    Dave Grohl (Foo Fighters, Nirvana)
    Scooter Ward (Cold)
    Omar Rodriguez-Lopez (The Mars Volta)

Probably more when I think of'em.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

Mikael Akerfeldt and Devin Townsend are two of the best songwriters ever, IMO.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

In no order:

Corey Taylor - Slipknot/Stone Sour
    Mike Shinoda - Linkin Park/Fort Minor
    John Frusciante - Red Hot Chili Peppers
    Matthew K. Heafy - Trivium
    Steve Harris - Iron Maiden
    James Hetfield - Metallica
    Billie Joe Armstrong - Green Day
    Liam Howlett - The Prodigy

Evil Angel