Wireless Sucks...

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Andrea, Jul 22, 2006.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

A couple days ago we had a storm here and our power went out because of it. Ever since then, my computer hasn't been working right in terms of speed and connectivity. I have Comcast High Speed Internet with 2 computers in the house. My dad's is in the computer room not that far away from my room, which is where the other computer is. His has a NetGear router which makes mine wireless.

It's been working pretty decent but ever since the storm, my computer has been pretty much useless. My signal strength and speed keeps dropping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...elessSUCKS.jpg (pardon the JT desktop, lawl)

See what I mean?

I have been told from the people that work at Best Buy that there are ways to fix it and I have actually tried pretty much everything. From using different routers and other things to make the signal strength to go higher, but nothing has worked. I was also told that it might be something in the house that's making the signal strength act like that.

I may have made a similar post like this in the past, but I can't really remember. Anyone care to make some suggestions? Anything I can buy? This is pissing me off.

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

Bought any new wireless devices recently (cordless phones, non-IR remote controllers)?

One solution might be to change the channel on wich the router broadcasts. Enter the router's IP address (192.168.0.1 if I'm not mistaken) and you should find the option in the wireless parameters.

You might also want to reset your router. There should be a reset button behind it; press it for about 30 seconds. Usually, you'll need a paper clip or something sharp for this operation. This will bring your router's configuration back to the factory settings.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Have you tried a new wireless card?

LinkinJunior

LinkinJunior LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

Is a key required to connect to the router? Is there perhaps other computers illegally connecting to the router?

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Justin's doing it. He's fuckin wit' your wireless.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

There's your problem right there :lol:

(Yes, I did have to say that)

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

He can fuck wit somethin' else. har har.

Anyway, I'll look into all the suggestions listed. I'm not computer savvy, so I'll see what I can do. It's actually working better now. I unplugged the router for like 30 minutes and plugged it back in and it's not messing up as much anymore...but the signal strength can still improve.

Thanks for the suggestions.

androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

I hate wireless too, it disconnects randomly. The only reason Im happy I have it is because I own a PSP