WHY SO MUCH HATE ON UNTIL IT'S GONE ?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by shinavn, Jul 1, 2019.

shinavn

shinavn New Member

I know it's a little late, but i want to know why there's so many hate on UIG on LP fansites.

There's so many people right now saying UIG is shit, comparing it with the new songs intending to say LP always had bad poppier-cliche-repetitive songs.

I know the lyrics are very simple and repetitive, and i know the song is not complex at all. But hey, this is Linkin Park. The sounding of the music is pretty good, guitarzz and synths.
    Shina

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

When your album's lead single in 2014 is based around a figure-of-speech cliche that already served as the chorus to a single by Cinderella from the peak of hair metal in 1988, you've cemented yourself firmly in cringe territory. Any other aspect of the song is secondary by default.

Truly one of the band's low points, and oddly enough it's on an otherwise-fantastic record. It still pains me to know that this song was basically only put on the album because it was rejected from Transformers 4 and probably bumped a superior track off the album in the process.

TV

TV tov LPA Super VIP

I like the song but it gets a lot of criticism for its simplicity and straight forwardness. I think its completely valid if someone dislikes the song - there is not much there I guess. I just like the dynamics and melodic content in it.

I don’t think a cinematic, progressive or experimental approach to songwriting automatically makes music good. I’m often put off by those things because they can sometimes be cheap tricks to distract from a lack of songwriting skill. Sometimes you get interesting and moving pieces of work from that, most often not imo. But I am getting off track in a bizarre way. This has nothing to do with UIG huh?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

It's all because there's not enough screaming :halfkappa:

Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

The second verse makes the song imo. For an album that is mostly full of aggressive lyrics, the second verse was simply self-reflective and delivered better than most of their conscious songs at that time. "Cause finding what you got sometimes, means finding it alone. And I can finally see your light when I let go." Something about that verse resonated with me compared to any of the other lyrics on LT and THP.

minuteforce likes this.
    Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Because you don't know what you've got, no you don't know what you've got, 'cause you don't know what you've got, yeah you don't know what you've got until it's gone.

To be honest I really like the song... The vocals and instrumental are fantastic.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2019
    minuteforce likes this.
    LiveLP08

LiveLP08 Member

Great track imo, and this track is exactly what the "LP have sucked since Minutes To Midnight" fans wanted. I don't see why it would get hated on?

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

It's too similar to songs the band had written prior, the "Some What I've Done shit" was kind of a meme for the fanbase following MtM and then comes UIG, and it's almost exactly a less good version of What I've Done. Coupled with the fact that it was clearly written for a Transformers movie and the feeling that it really kills the flow of THP when it starts, and you get an unpopular song.

I don't hate it, but if it wasn't on the album and was released as a B side on an LPU disc a year later, I wouldn't have been like "Holy fuck, they cut this?!", I would have understood completely.