Which songs have you changed your opinion on since Chester's death?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by kcg, Aug 30, 2017.

kcg

kcg Well-Known Member

Are there any songs that you once had an opinion on that completely changed after Chester died?

The two songs that I've definitely changed my opinion on are Heavy and Easier To Run.
    I remember how disappointed I was when Heavy came out back in February, I remember complaining about how it sounded like generic Top 40 pop and how bad Chester sounded. All of the sudden after Chester's passing, I began to love the song, even though I said on these forums that it would never grow on me! Now I find myself singing it throughout the day. It's still unbelievable to me how much it changed. The music video in hindsight is particularly difficult to watch now.
    For a very long time, I thought Easier To Run was one of the weakest songs on Meteora and sounded too much like Crawling, but now whenever I hear it, I just burst into tears. The lyrics are so powerful and heartbreaking, because it perfectly explained what was going on in Chester's mind throughout his life. Ever since A Thousand Suns came out, many people, myself included, thought Chester's worst days were behind him and that the song was just an angsty nu-metal ballad that we grew out of and only listened to on occasion for nostalgic pleasure, but now we know the truth that his demons never left him and continued to haunt him until his final moment, and the song is just like a suicide note. Now whenever it starts playing, no matter what I'm doing at the moment, I just start crying.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Heavy
    Leave Out All the Rest
    Shadow of the Day
    Halfway Right
    Crawling
    Given Up
    In Pieces
    Nobody Can Save Me
    Valentine's Day
    One More Light

Edit:
    I've always liked these songs, even love some, but I just view them differently now because of their content.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Sorry For Now.

That's pretty much it. I always appreciated most of their songs, and still dislike the ones I do, but SFN grew on me alot.

Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

None tbh. but I have trouble to listen to One More Light (the song).

StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

I've taken a shine to "Sharp Edges" since he passed. It's a great pick-me-up after getting emotional listening to "One More Light".

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Same. Didn't really care for it when it dropped but the upbeat nature of it is awesome, it feels like some of the most hopeful/mature/peaceful lyrics Chester's ever sang.

Sasuke likes this.
    Dannyc

Dannyc Well-Known Member

i still hate ATS and OML with a passion (sound wise not lyrically) but songs like with you, easier to run, in the end, crawling, hit more harder than ever before

Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

Heavy is, well a lot heavier now and more sincere than it ever was before.

Same with their nu-metal material. Songs I cringed at for their lyrics over the last few years are now incredibly powerful again. Hybrid Theory is now legendary IMO.

BTorio likes this.
    Mysticliz

Mysticliz Well-Known Member

The only song I can't listen to is bleed it out...
    All the other I still like and view as I did before... New found love for castle of glass and burn it down now thou...

Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

There are 0 songs that are better or worse to me because of Chester's death.

But the one thing that did change is I can't sing "Bleed It Out" anymore

Sasuke likes this.
    StrictlyJohnD

StrictlyJohnD Go Texans & Rockets!

"One More Light" means even more to me. Not just with Chester dying, but the fact my city was under the mercy of Hurricane Harvey.

Doridorica

Doridorica Well-Known Member

Like Blake said, I can't listen to Bleed it Out anymore as it was the last song at the concert I went to and also met the bend.
    I pay more attention to NCSM, BS and Heavy lyrics now and they hurt.

BTorio

BTorio Well-Known Member

Yeah, the one song that I felt like didn't age well and got kind of cringey was crawling for me, but looking back at their piano performances and also the fact that so many artists chose this song as the one to play for a tribute made it really awesome.

Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Sorry for Now. I thought it was a catchy little tune. Seems a lot... harsher? I guess is the word I'm looking for? In hindsight.

I thought it would have been a successful single, much better than Invisible. Not anymore.