Where Are The B-Sides?

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by The_Cool_Cow, Jan 23, 2009.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

Linkin Park is the only band I know who almost never releases B-Sides. Look at bands like Muse and Weezer; they have dozens upon dozens of b-sides, a lot of which are better then the album tracks. Linkin Park has... actually, I don't think that they have any. Maybe 2? I'm not sure.

In any case, its not alot, and I know for a fact that we've only gotten one out of MTM. That really upsets me, because, considering that they made about 200 songs, i'm sure that theres some great stuff lying around in the vaults there. I really want to see what the stuff from this era sounds like, because this was a time when the band was experimenting. Also, Rick Rubin is known to give songwriting assignments (write an elton john-esque song, write using really simple words), and I would really like to see if he gave anything to LP.

I really hope that at some point we get a b-side disc from the band, like The Killers' Sawdust, or Smashing Pumpkins Pisces Iscariot. I really want to know what they have lying in the vaults. Anyone else agree?

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm sure there's plenty of stuff locked away in Warner's vaults for them to release on a compilation years from now to make some more money off of Linkin Park's name. Even once LP's contract is up, if they decide not to re-sign with Warner, Warner will still retain all rights to any material recorded while they were under contract with them, which includes any unreleased material. Warner's probably just planning ahead and will release that stuff after LP's done with them.

LP has released 7 b-sides, by the way: High Voltage (Remix), Buy Myself (Marilyn Manson Remix), Pts.Of.Athrty (Crystal Method Remix), A.06, Announcement Service Public, QWERTY, and No Roads Left.

The_Cool_Cow

The_Cool_Cow Well-Known Member

Still, it's not alot. And 3 are remixes. In regards to the Warner thing, I believe it, but its still strange. I've never encountered another band with that problem.

Also, i'm pretty sure that they could buy back the rights to the material.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Does Standing in the Middle count as a B-Side? I'm guessing not.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

If the band didn't think those songs were good enough for release, I trust them on that. :sleep:

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

How long is it until they're allowed to leave Warner?

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

My December is also a B-Side.

Astat

They could probably buy the rights to their material, but the asking price would be extremely steep. It's actually extremely common for major label contracts to include clauses that the label automatically owns anything recorded by that artist during their tenure with that label. Korn is a band that springs to mind, their Korn Kovers EP is most likely never going to come out because they recorded the material before they left Sony, and Sony still owns the rights to it.

No it's not, not in the sense that we're discussing here anyway. My December was a b-side to a single, but it's not a b-side to any album because it wasn't recorded for consideration on any album.

Standing in the Middle would be a b-side to Reanimation, but since Reanimation was an album of remixes and SITM is an original song, it never would have been considered for the album, so it's not a b-side either (the same can be said for Sold My Soul to Yo Mama in regards to Collision Course).

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2009
    minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Wow, "Sold My Soul" was recorded during the "Collision Course" sessions? Damn, it seems obvious to me now ...

And, though the point has probably been made, a B-side is a track that's recorded for an album but subsequently cut from the album.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2009
    The_Rising_Tied

The_Rising_Tied Well-Known Member

OK.. so high voltage (remix) shouldnt be considered a "b side" since it was released under the one step closer single??

Astat

It was recorded for Hybrid Theory and didn't make the cut. It's a b-side.

Sonic

Well, to be fair, I didn't say it was a b-saide to any particular album, because I know it's not, I just said it was a b-side, which it is. I really thought we were jsut discussion b-sids in general, not to just studio records.

B7rent

B7rent Guest

you would they'd take atleast the 5 or so that just barely missed the cut on the MTM album and throw it on an Underground album...

The_Rising_Tied

The_Rising_Tied Well-Known Member

True say. ur 100% right. myy baddd lol
    just realised it..

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

Come now, not all bands release hoards of b-sides. A lot of bands just go into the studio knowing what songs they're putting on the album, I know we've still got what 4 songs that were in consideration for Minute To Midnight that haven't been released. But really 4 songs isn't going to change your life.

And I doubt Meteora had any b-sides worth listening to. There are songs on that album that could've been left off in the first place. I don't think there were any leftovers from Hybrid Theory that haven't been released either, not that I know anything more than anyone else.

Sonic

A.06.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

I have no idea why everyone orgasms over that song. It's (if i remember correctly) one riff!

Oh and that's already been released, i'm talking about unreleased b-sides.

Sonic

I was just referring to b-sides in general, which is why I only quoted one line from your post.

Jordan

Jordan Secret Robot

no problem.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I think it could just as well be another Warner thing, like how they end up releasing about half of each album as singles and so on.

Taking a glance at Wikipedia, lots of Warner bands tend to release live tracks and remixes as their b-sides with only the occasional "new" song, just as they seem to have a penchant for milking as many singles from each album as possible.

Having said that LP do have a pretty sub-par record for releasing unique studio tracks as b-sides, whoever's fault it is.