What movies did you recently watch?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Hybrid Soldier, Jun 29, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

probably not. people go into Michael Bay movies expecting way too much, like holy shit, seriously. if you want dope cgi, explosions, babes, then fucking A, enjoy the movie, otherwise you're an idiot.

2. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

But what if I think explosions are cheap ploy and am attracted to men?

3. hawk

$165 billion cheap? what about Mark Wahlberg?

4. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Damn it! Alright, I'll give you Wahlberg. It doesn't make up for Michael Bay's directing though.

5. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

I dunno. On the one hand, yeah, you probably shouldn't even consider seeing Transformers if you aren't into just seeing shit explode and CGI and the oversexualization of an actress who was born in 1995.

On the other hand, that logic is kind of like taking a bunch of rotten eggs, moldy flour, pepper instead of sugar, spoiled milk, and baking the foulest cake ever, but topping it with the freshest, finest chocolate icing and saying "well, fans of chocolate will enjoy it." Yeah, I guess. Still doesn't make it a good cake. The crap beneath the chocolate is kinda hard to ignore.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2014
  6. Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

You can have a movie with "dope cgi, explosions, and babes," while also being an intelligent movie. The fact of the matter is that Michael Bay movies, specifically the Transformers movies, are utter crap. Being all about action and explosions is no excuse for being a shit movie. I shouldn't have to turn off my brain, or dumb myself down to enjoy something.

7. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Boom this. Except I think the Chi of a movie is very important :kappa:

8. lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

I need to watch more films!

9. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

So she's legal?! :quagmire:

10. Delicious Dave

Delicious Dave I'm gonna drive you into your own anus.

Lockdown was the best villain out of all four Transformers movies. He's what Megatron should of been. He was scary and intimidating while Megatron was just a clumsy growling monster with sharp claws and pointy teeth. Lockdown's creepy humanoid face helped make him appear more menacing. His introduction scene with Ratchet was great. The best thing about this movie besides Lockdown is that the Autobots are more unique and have more screen time, they don't all look the same and have personality. I loved Hound and Drift. The dinobots were pointless though. They were only there to make money and not needed at all. They just show up out of nowhere and these supposedly ''legendary knights'' just wonder back into the wild at the end to live like animals? . It was too long though, the original running time was 2 hours and 7 minutes making it the shortest Transformers yet, but they just HAD to make it longer. I hope Bay makes the next one shorter, around the first movies' length.

Besides that, I've been watching It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia on Netflix. Brilliant show.

11. hawk

wait ... you've got three past Transformers films which are all essentially the same 'unintelligent' crap, and you're still complaining? shouldn't you expect this by now? people are way too critical of these films man, fuck, i come for the explosions, cgi and shit and i ain't complaining at all. i don't have to turn off my brain, nor dumb myself down and if you're implying that's how one must enjoy it, then fuck man you're calling out the millions of people who go and watch these films.

12. Gibs

That's exactly what I'm implying. I'm not purposely trying to come across as a pretentious ass, but that's how I feel.

13. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

That's just not my shit man. If I go to a theater I'm looking to be challenged, where as Transformers is almost like an insult to anybody who actually pays for that crap. I can get explosions and shit from someone not named Michael Bay and possibly have a decent storyline behind it and don't have to risk a seizure from the God damn shakey cam. I've seen high end effects and explosions. That gets old pretty fucking quick unless you give it some sort higher stakes. There are no stakes in transformers, it's just the same regurgitated crap. I've seen the others, I would never waste cash on it though. I might watch this one if it's ever on HBO or something just for the purpose of watching the things I trash so its just not jaded Internet bullshit. But explosions don't impress me without the writing to back it up. The last last Transformers was them throwing money at it. What am I supposed to be impressed by. Yeah it looks fucking great cause it had a multimillion dollar budget. I am much more impressed by the small budget film that manages strike a note with me on a deep emotional level.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2014
  14. Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

Way to overreact. You both do know the films target audience, right?

It's a Transformers film, if you're expecting an amazing plot based on a kids cartoon then you're watching it for all the wrong reasons. Who goes to see a Transformers film for the plot? The film is made to entertain little kids and teenagers. It's nothing but a glorified two hour and thirty minute commercial for Hasbro's toys/cartoons. The most excited person to see the film in my family was my seven year old cousin and his father, that's the audience the film is made for. You have the Transformers that the little kids go to see it for, and the typical blockbuster flim teens go to see it for. It's your typical hollywood blockbuster movie made for those just looking to watch something fun, it's not meant to be complicated or sophisticated, it is what it is, Transformers made into a big budget live action film. Yeah, sure it's simpleminded, but that's what it's going for.

If you're looking for a big-budget film with giant things and a half decent plot, go watch Godzilla or Pacific Rim. Leave Transformers for the kids.

15. Gibs

Once again, it being "simple" or "targeted for kids" is NO EXCUSE for a shit movie. There are literally TONS of kids movies they are excellent at entertaining them, sell toys, while also being fantastic movies in themselves. Ever heard of E.T.? Or The Iron Giant? Or, any Pixar movie? Hell, The Clone Wars TV show SPECIFICALLY targeted young people, and it sold a hell of a lot of toys and merch. But the catch? It's still an fantastic series! People like it better than the damn prequels!

And what about action movies? What about The Lord of the Rings, or the original Star Wars trilogy? Or Harry Potter? or any Batman movie? (minus the 2 movies that shall not be named). They're still action movies, with lots of fighting and explosions, yet ARE GREAT MOVIES.

These lists of movies could go on an on. We shouldn't be subjected to dumb downed crap simply because "it's targeting a specific group!" Because of this, shit like The Smurfs and Movie 43 get greenlit all the time, yet there are tons of ideas not being funded because of shit, like the damn Smurfs and Movie 43!

16. hawk

jesus christ bro, chill. i think you need to rethink your stance on this shit. :lol:

and once again you're complaining about a film series that just had the biggest opening of the year and is already working on TF5, like it actually matters. i get that you "seriously fucking hate" these films but damn dude, you're going OUT of your way to attack them now. :lol:

the world doesn't revolve around you. you may not like the film, but millions of others do. you're acting childish.

17. Gibs

I would love to see this imaginary post where I said the world revolved around me....

Apparently having a strong opinion over the current state of Hollywood and Cinema is childish? And since when was "millions of people like it" a great gauge of the quality of a product?

18. hawk

you don't like the film(s), cool bro, that's fine man, i know they're not the best, but y'all quickly jumped the fuck on the hate wagon rather than just leaving it be.

19. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I can't believe people are suddenly debating over Michael Bay after posting my review :lol:

20. hawk

gg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.