What do you think about Meteora

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by lime treacle, Mar 21, 2012.

?

What do you think about Meteora?

1. It is the best Linkin Park album yet

12 vote(s)
    11.3%
  2. It's a great album

49 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. It's okay

31 vote(s)
    29.2%
  4. It's bad

9 vote(s)
    8.5%
  5. It sucks

5 vote(s)
    4.7%
  1. ChuckCheese

ChuckCheese Did somebody order some cheese? LPA VIP

It's the album that got me into LP, and music in general. Looking back at it now, of course a lot of the lyrics are bad. But it still packs a punch, and you can't help but sing along and bang your head to this shit when you hear it. This album is by no means a masterpiece but it does have a special place for me.

2. Rocky

Rocky Well-Known Member

Nah, "overproduced" is a term that is used by people who don't know styles of production/mixing and don't appreciate the lack of rawness in "pop" production.

3. shinformant

shinformant Banned

Meteora's "close attention to detail" is bordering on the autistic. :p The drums sound like biscuit tins, the vocals have shitloads of layers for no reason at all and they may as well have not had a bassist at that point in their career.

4. Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

When have they ever needed a bassist?

5. Fury99

Fury99 4EVER LP

I love all LP albums. I can't choose one over the other, Meteora is definitely my work out album, though. It's their hardest album in my opinion.

6. Promofrog

Promofrog Banned

I think Living things could be your new work out album :)

7. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

I voted Meteora as being bad. Really I think the only people who can mindlessly listen to music. Like Mike has said in the past is that Linkin Park is "good at polishing a turd." They can make a "bad" song like Somewhere I Belong SOUND like a good song even though the lyrics are terrible and it's structure is taken straight from In The End.

But the lyrics themselves aren't bad because they're angst-ridden. The problem is that they're angst-ridden while seeming to be forced and written by a 14-year old. I will never forgive Don Gilmore for butchering the lyrics on that album by making Mike and Chester re-write the lyrics over and over so some slow-witted 13-year old in Ohio can get it.

Take the Faint demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PtqVUsOQtrw

Mike's lyrics aren't mind-blowing in this demo by any means but it feels real and his rhyming is a bit more clever. Faint is one of the songs I can still listen to on Meteora but the energy is night and day. Don Gilmore made them re-write the lyrics to the point that they made Linkin Park a caricature of themselves and it's impossible to tell what these songs are about other than trying to recreate the magic of HT.

Look at the lyrics on Forgotten vs. Somewhere I Belong. How anyone can say Meteora isn't worse lyrically is beyond me.

Forgotten

There's a place so dark you can't see the end
    (Skies cock back) and shock that which can't defend
    The rain then sends dripping acidic questions
    Forcefully, the power of suggestion
    Then with the eyes tightly shut looking thought the rust and rotten dust
    A spot of light floods the floor
    And pours over the rusted world of pretend
    The eyes ease open and its dark again

SIB

(When this began)
    I had nothing to say
    And I get lost in the nothingness inside of me
    (I was confused)
    And I let it all out to find
    That I’m not the only person with these things in mind
    (Inside of me)
    But all that they can see the words revealed
    Is the only real thing that I’ve got left to feel
    (Nothing to lose)
    Just stuck, hollow and alone
    And the fault is my own, and the fault is my own

"I had nothing to say and I get lost in the nothingness inside of me." Really? :facepalm:

8. Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Hold on now, forgotten was like the one song of HT that didn't sound exactly like meteora, if we're excluding demos. Other than forgotten, hybrid theory is lyrically no better than meteora

9. ZoeLinkingal

ZoeLinkingal The Unforgiving

I voted Meteora as "Okay".

It was not really the music that got me into the band, even though Numb was the first song I listened to. It was the live performance that got me into the band. The Numb I heard was also from Live in Texas video and from there, I went to watch their whole Live in Texas show on YouTube and that was what got me into the band. To be honest, it is unlike me to like a song from a band and check out their other stuff. Usually, I will just settle for 1 or 2 songs and that's it but Linkin Park was special to me.

I'm neither a Meteora supporter or hater but I disagree that Meteora was a twin of Hybrid Theory. They are similar but definitely not twin or the same. Meteora was abit more melodic while Hybrid Theory was more rap/rock hard beat, that's what I think :) Peace~!

10. Xodus

Xodus Well-Known Member

Disagree. Here's In The End which SIB was a direct rip off of:

(It starts with one)
    One thing I don't know why
    It doesn’t even matter how hard you try
    Keep that in mind, I designed this rhyme
    To explain in due time
    All I know
    time is a valuable thing
    Watch it fly by as the pendulum swings
    Watch it count down to the end of the day
    The clock ticks life away
    It’s so unreal
    Didn’t look out below
    Watch the time go right out the window
    Trying to hold on but didn’t even know
    Wasted it all just to
    Watch you go
    I kept everything inside
    and even though I tried, it all fell apart
    What it meant to me will eventually be a memory of a time when I tried so hard

Not Mike's most clever rapping (even on the three versions of this song--the demo and the remix are far better lyrically) but even in this version there's a decent rhyme scheme and a bit of imagery. Nothing as comical as being lost in the nothingness inside of you.

So I'm not only using Mike's lyrics as an example I'll post some of Chester's work too. This time, Runaway.

Graffiti decorations
    Under a sky of dust
    A constant wave of tension
    On top of broken trust
    The lessons that you taught me
    I learn were never true
    Now I find myself in question
    (They point the finger at me again)
    Guilty by association
    (You point the finger at me again)

Again, while not the most incredible lyrics I've ever heard, far more impressive than anything on Meteora. There's imagery and a bit of poetic value in these lyrics. Runaway, In The End and Forgotten may all be about the same thing as a number of songs on Meteora but if you're gonna be angsty at least they were a bit more skillful in their angst on Hybrid Theory.