University/College Students?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Mark, May 19, 2006.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

So, who here is currently attending or planning to go to a post-secondary educational institution? If you're a student, where do you go? What's your major? And for those of you who aren't currently attending university/college, where are you planning to go, and what are you planning to do?

What's the tuition like? The campus? Are you going to an in-town college or an out of state one? How's the workload? Share anything about your post-secondary pursuits.

I go to Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN). It's Newfoundland's major University and currently has about 17,000-20,000 students attending. The University is located in capital city St. John's, where I live only 10 minutes from the campus.

Our University does not have an application process, nor entry exams. All that is required is a High School education with an average over 70%, and you're eligible for attending the University. Of course, you have to send off documentation saying you want to attend the University, but other than that, it's simple to be accepted.

We've one of the largest campuses in Atlantic Canada, (map). Our "student centre", called the "UC", is a huge overpass which crosses 6 lanes of highway, and connects both sides of the campus as well. The entire UC is suspended over the highway and is primarily a cafeteria which sits thousands of people. We've got a Dairy Queen, pizza place, Mr. Sub, Extreme Pita, and a Dunkin Donuts/Tim Hortons-esque coffee and treats shop. It's the main hangout for many students.

Tuition at MUN is among the lowest in the country. At $1,700 (CDN) a semester, it's nowhere near the skyrocketing prices of St. Francis Xavier University in neighbouring Nova Scotia, which charges almost 8 times that at $13,000 (CDN) a semester. Provincial government grants lower that as well.

Currently, I just finished my first year of general studies at MUN and plan to attend the Business Faculty to get a major in the Commerce co-op program. It should take me 3-4 years to get my Bachelor's degree, with my Master's degree taking one extra year. With MUN's low tuition fees, I should not have very large outstanding student loans and debts, which will undoubtedly give me a head start on others across the country consumed with student loan repayments and debt collectors. I'm confident the University's professors and Business program will give me all the necessary tools, and more, to succeed in the Business world.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

I'm a student at Red River College in the Aviation Management program...woulda gone to the University of North Dakota (for their four year aviation degree program), but the price of that is astronomical - $150,000 US plus accomodations/food >_<

As it stands, I'm dropping 50 grand here...most of that is flying costs though. I've got a year left, and then it's off to the ever-so-awesome job hunt with the airlines (which is damn tough).

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Next year, I'll be in High School, so I'm still a bit young for the whole College Issue. I would like to go to either UCLA, ASU, U of A, Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, or Yale. I want to have a double major in Engineering and Teaching and a minor and music.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

University of Missouri-Rolla. Major in Information Science & Technology. Tuition is costing me $4,000/semester, plus rent (Mine is $300/month for a house, it's about $500/month in the shitty dorms). Campus is OK, I hate the town that it's in, and when I graduate I never want to go there again and hope a tornado destroys it and every worthless white trash redneck living there. It's an out of town college (about 100 miles away from home). Workload isn't bad, and I think I answered everything :lol:

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Next year I'll be at the University of North Texas. Currently I'm undecided as to what I will be majoring. Ideally I'd like to do something with photography or music performance... but most likely I'll minor in Business Administration and major in something boring that will get me a lot of money.

I haven't looked at tuition yet (I'm more than covered... a little nestegg of cash I've had ready for this moment) and I'll probably be living home because of the whole asian parent situation.

It's a pretty nice campus, not the best, but hey, I'm not there for the campus. I'm there to partylearn.

It's in the area, but driving back and forth will be expensive, with the way classes are. I'll probably be rooming at my cousin's house since that will probably be allowed.

Holiday

Holiday Married and on a life-long adventure! LPA Super VIP

I go to the University of Nevada, Reno. It is a very nice campus. There is a lot of trees, grass, places to sit outside. Here is a map of my campus. It's really quite large which makes it hard to schedule classes because if they're too far apart, there is no way to get to it on time, even if you have 15 minutes.

I've lived in Reno for almost 9 years now. It's one of the meth producing capitals of the west coast. It is a hard town to live in, a hard town to get by in. But the university is like an oasis. My mom got her Masters from here in Geological Engineering.

An interesting tidbit is that a mining school is mandatory as written in our state constitution. haha

I just finished my second year here. In fact, my last final was yesterday. (A very traumatic story goes along with that, but I'm not going to get into that now.)

As of right now, I'm a Wildlife Ecology and Conservation major. Hopefully I stick with this one. I've changed it four times already because I’m really not sure what I want to do.

You now have to have to have a 3.2 GPA to get into the university. The prices have now raised this year as well. It's now over $120 a credit, and 12 credits it the minimum to be considered a full time student and 16 credits is what you need to finish in four years.

Last edited: May 19, 2006
    rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i always wanted to go to NYU and then Harvard to be a lawyer. but the slight problem with that is that i have no money. it costs around 650,000 to do all that. then i got into a computer school but that's another 24,500 that i don't have. so i have to go to a community college and transfer into a university, but right now i don't even have the money for that since i just got into a new house and i have all these bills to pay. and i can't get a loan because i need credit, but you can't get credit until you get a loan. it's a vicious cycle. grrrr.

but whenever i get the money, i would like to go to probably the University of Delaware because it is a really easy college to transfer into with my grades and GPA. i want to major in prelaw and psychology, and minor in music. weird combination, i know, but i will be able to do it someday.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

I'm still to young to go to College or University but you all seem really smart people, studying Engineering, going to Harvard or Yale! You get to choose all these minors like music. I don't even know if I can choose any minors in Belgium.

I'd really like to study over there in America... your education is so much more suited for me than what we do here, we hardly ever have sports, art or music.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Stay away from America as long as you can....at least until 2009 when Bush leaves office.

Christopher

Christopher Über Member Über Member

:p Well, your right I'll just have to take a two year break before going to College then.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I just finished my third semester at the University of Wisconsin at River Falls. I'm double majoring in speech communications and journalism, with a minor in music. Read: I will be in school for five years rather than four. River Falls is a little town of about 12000, and the campus itself is about 5000 students total, including graduate students. Most of the students are there for either the agricultural science program or the elementary education program, although the journalism department's pretty good too. For me, it's out of state, although it's only about twenty minutes away from my hometown, and since Minnesota and Wisconsin have a reciprocity agreement, I pay in-state tuition. So it's costing me about $5500 US a semester, including room and board. The workload this semester wasn't too bad, but that's because I tested out of the math competency requirement. Next semester, though, will be tough. Chemistry 110 and lab, Speech 314, English 310, Journalism 255, and the usual applied voice and guitar lessons.

I'm hoping that the degree I get will help me land a job in radio, especially considering that I host a student radio show and make regular appearances on a friend's show.

A note: Occasionally, when I opened the window of my room, I'd catch a pretty strong whiff of manure. If any of you choose to go there, I recommend air fresheners.

the_king_of_all

the_king_of_all LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

In September i'll be going to Worcester Tech college (England, not Massachusetts before anyone asks :lol:). It's a really nice college, lecturers are friendly, plus this college is right next to town, which means i can just take a wonder if i have a free, or go to BK or something for lunch. it's great. I'm hoping to study Business studies, Accontancy, Sociology plus Applied ICT. Can't wait to get there. I think i'll really enjoy it.

Shade

Shade Well-Known Member

I go to Virginia Tech (Go Hokies!). Just finished up my second year there in Computer Engineering. Love the college, hate the administration of my department but that's another story. Tuition for in sate is around $5,000 and with room and board it's around $10,000 a semester. Out of state is about double in tuition costs. The campus is set in Blacksburg Virginia, which is basically the middle of nowhere, but is quite nice nonetheless. Nightlife basically consists of parties, which there are no shortage of. Its a very beautiful area, perfect for hikes, walks, biking etc. My friend, who is a photographer, takes amazing pictures from areas surrounding Tech, they can be seen at http://gaiapersephone.deviantart.com/ Workload for Engineering students is absurd. You better really love what you're doing because it's a hell of a load the department throws on you.

Minus

This is now out-of-date.

I just recieved a full ride to University of Texas at Dallas starting the fall semester. Most of everything else will still be the same, except that nestegg of cash will be MINE... ALL MINE...

And I will be living there as per the terms of the scholarship.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Hey! Congrats on the scholarship!

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Next year I'm going to Humber College for their new Bachelor of Applied Music degree. Humber has one of the best jazz programs in Canada and as a saxophone player the degree is the one I want to get me into the music business. It has some of the best faculty of any music program in the province with players like Alastair Kay, Alex Dean, Pat LaBarbara, Ted Quinlan, Kelly Jefferson, and John McCleod.

I am really excited about this program because it is very performance intensive so I will be playing and practising more instead of listening to someone go on about music history and theory all the time. Also, between 3rd and 4th year there is a Co-Op placement where I work in a music-related work placement which is sweet. And by the end of the course I will have a press kit and full-length recording to help me gain exposure.

Its a really nice campus by the Lakeshore of Lake Ontario in Toronto but overall its gonna be fairly pricey. The residence with meal plan is about $8,000, with the tuition for both semesters being a bit over $5,000. So about $15 000 a year for four years which is a large investment but I think well worth it. I also got an $8 000 scholarship over four years so that'll help!

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

i go to Sunderland University (UK) and i study Photography, Video, and Digital Imagary, first year. only another two more years to go. one great thing about this course is that you get to have quite a few hours a week to yourself - this is when i get my work done so i dont have to worry about it and do it at a later date.

the lectures a really laid back and i enjoy them - i have gotten to know a lot of stuff that i didnt learn at college. im almost finished this year, i only have another week or two to go then im done for summer.

this first year was all about gaining experience using the equipment and generally getting to know one-another. second year is all about grades... im not worrying about that just yet. if anyone wants to see my work i will be sure to scan it in to show you.

the place where i go is seperate from the main campus - this is slightly out the city centre and its a lot easier to get too. the main part of town is only a few minutes walk away. i live at home so the location for my college is fantastic, its so easy to get too. i drive, and there is plently of car parking spaces which is helpful.

fee's for my course are expensive but its worth it in the long run. i have to pay roughly £1,000 for mine. however if i was born a year later things will have all changed. the prices would have rocketed to a staggering £3,000! if that was the case for me - i wouldnt have been able to go. thankfully mine will stay at the £1,000 mark for my three years :)

one thing though - if you are considering to go to uni/college i would move away. if i had the chance to start a fresh i know i would.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I am going to be attending Kent State University this coming Autumn. I do not think I have to explain much about the college, because most everyone has learned about it in at least a small portion because of the National Guard shootings in the '70s. I am going there with two of my friends (which is down from going with six of my friends) and we are going to have a blast.

Minus

Thanks =]

Even though I'm not the first of my group of friends to graduate, the situation with the dorms will mean that I'm the first to be living 'on my own' as it were.

phillylovesLP

phillylovesLP Member

I'm going to Temple University this August I am really excited. I'm majoring in communications hoping to go into some type of sports broadcasting. When I say Temple most people are like whoah! North Philadelphia, dangerous stuff. But it's really not dangerous, theres tons of campus police, stadium lights at nightime on campus, and as long as your not an idiot you should be safe. Temple has really upgraded itself into a strong University.