United 93

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Jimmy Mac, Apr 28, 2006.

Jimmy Mac

Jimmy Mac Well-Known Member

Ok... call me crazy... and I probably am for thinking this...

But does anyone else think that there is a possibility that United 93 is getting such fantastic ratings because no big-name critic wants to be the "un-patriotic asshole" ? Becuase, all across the board, big name critics in big name cities are giving this flick fantastic ratings.

There does remain the distinct possibility that it really is that good of a flick, but to me it was made for one of two reasons: to capitalize off a tragedy or to make a flag-waving propoganda film, and to make a film this close (5 years, relatively close) is wrong.

Call me crazy.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Or to make 9/11 seem real to people again just when they were starting to question whether the government's story is really what happened...I agree, it's propaganda in blatant form, probably some last-ditch effort to get people behind Bush and the war in Iraq again.

I haven't seen it yet, I do plan on it though. And I'm looking forward to it, hoping that it really is a good film. But it's not going to sway my opinion of what really happened on 9/11 or the government's actions since then.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I'm not putting a penny towards that movie. I think it's rather sick that some asshole would make something like this so they could capitalize on the death of over four thousand people.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

*shrugs* Every movie about Vietnam or WWII or any historical event where a lot of people died is doing the same thing, just that this movie was only made 5 afters the event, and it's about something that took place during our generation and therefore seems more real to us. I guess it's kinda the same reason a lot of Vietnam vets I've talked to refuse to see movies about it.

I'll probably end up downloading the movie or borrowing it from someone or renting it, I'd feel guilty about it if I purchased it or paid to go see it.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Did you see the movie Pearl Harbor or Titanic?

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I will not pay to see this movie. Tasta said what I was thinking. And I agree that critics are afraid to give it poor/average ratings. Maybe it's because they are so obsessed with their American pride and are being extremely biased. I just hope more opposition happens and gets more attention due to this film.

User Name

I never payed a penny to see them, but yes, I have.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Well you do know that the director of the film presonally went to the families of all the flight members to get an OK from them, right?
    ---
    I'm hoping the movie will be good, because if it's bad, think of the families. I'm pretty sure they don't want their husbands or sons or daughters to be remembered as being portrayed in a crappy movie.

So I'm just going to go with an ounce of faith and say that if the director was confident enough with the movie that it justified and did justice to those who sacrificed themselves, that it truthfully shows their bravery and such, then it SHOULD be pretty good.

User Name

Actually, I wasn't even aware of that. That's good of him to do something like that.

Minus

I didn't know about it either until one day when I was in the theatre and saw an interview with the director with cuts from many of the families saying such. Apparently he wouldn't have gone through with it if even one family refused or objected.

That's also what got me truely interested in the film.

lpboarder

lpboarder Well-Known Member

It was about 2300, not 4000....but that's old news. I think this was made with a bigger picture in mind than making money and that is so none of us forget what happened that day. Yes, it is cliche to say we will never be the same but its true, that day showed how vulnerable we are to attack. This is they the immigration debate is so hot and why oil and gas prices are so high. It all relates, yet we somehow forget what happened not quite 5 years ago. This movie had to be made and why not now? The families gave their blessing and from what I seen in the interviews, they are proud of it.

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I don't think people forgot about something so huge that was only 5 years ago.

EDIT: I'm watching a thing on the movie on CNBC now, the "mother of a passenger" is a guest and she was smiling and not looking serious at all when questioned about the film and the event. She also said that this movie is more accurate of the events than what were already presented. Her lack of seriousness and belief of it's more precise accuracy of the events bother me.

I also thought I'd point out the huge propaganda tool, the Freedom Tower, that is being built on the WTC site. The name tells it all and it's height, 1,776 feet, is a tribute to the Declaration of Independence.

Last edited: May 1, 2006
    Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I think we need to put everyone in Hollywood making money off a national tragedy onto a plane and crash it into an open field.

Omar

Omar Administrator LPA Super Member

I believe there's a certain period of time before you revive bad memories. But w/ Americans' memory spans getting shorter and shorter, this was bound to happen soon enough.

I will not see it, or Oliver Stone's film either. It's completely disrespectful to make this movie so soon. Like anyone forgot what happened already.

And get this, the guy who plays a terrorist in the film (he's a Londoner) wasn't even granted a visa to come to the premiere in US. Talk about bullshit.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

You're fucking kidding me. We've gotten so paranoid that we can't offer a visa to an actor who played a terrorist in a movie?

Maybe tom cruise will play a terrorist in his next movie :D

Oh, and according to Wikipedia, they donated 10% of the proceeds to build a Flight 93 memorial. But the good news is, these Hollywood assholes can still use their remaining 100 million dollars to build huge houses and buy Ferraris. :rolleyes:

Minus

Well you do know he ASKED the families of the victims of Flight 93 for approval first, right?

It is a compelling story and he is respecting the wishes of the families.

I know I said this already, but it appears as if people are judging the movie before they actually take a good look at it. The guy was extremely respectful and made sure he had approval first, so obviously if the families of the victims wish it to be made, then it should be made. These people probably took the pain the hardest, so really, you cannot (my apostrophe button is screwed up at the moment) hate the man.