The War on Drugs - For or Against?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Moridin, Jan 31, 2015.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

This topic is inclusive of all drugs.

What are your views on the War on Drugs?
    Worthwhile or waste of time?

What are your views on drugs themselves?
    Would the world be better of without them or has it benefited from them?

What are your views on drug users?
    Are they criminals that should be stopped, or is it none of anyone's business as long as they don't hurt anyone?

hybridsoldier1989

hybridsoldier1989 strange things are afoot at the circle k

It's a waste of fucking time and resources.

I'd rather they regulate the shit out of the stuff. Take away much of the taboo and you may see a reduction in drug-related crime. Take Prohibition, for example. What a glorious failure that was.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Legalized, unregulated, and untaxed. This is how every business should be run though, not just drugs.

I view drug users like I view gay sex, skydiving, eating tofu bacon, or anything else I choose to not participate in. If it doesn't infringe on anybody else's rights, you have the right to do it. You are big boys and girls and can decide for yourself if the risks are worth it. The non-aggression principle is pretty handy when it comes to morality and civil rights. Unfortunately no governments abide by it.

outcastboy

outcastboy Sure God's all powerful, but does he have lips?

travz know what he says. i agree 100%

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

War on drugs is a farce. It's complete bullshit.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

I got all excited because I thought this would be about the band. Oh well.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

Very much against the war on drugs. Moral arguments aside, I don't think drug prohibition can be seen as anything but an abject failure, just like alcohol prohibition. All drug laws have succeeded at is sending an absurd amount of non-violent addicts to prison and making drug cartels a lot of money. People are going to do drugs regardless of laws, so we might as well accept that and at least try to make it safer.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I can only understand the objections toward "illicit" hard drugs to a certain extent, and that's not enough for me to understand why some things are illegal beyond "that's just the way it is".

Literally everything is dangerous in the right amounts.

That probably deserves a whole other 'Serious Chat' thread of its own :kappa:

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

Very interesting to see that there is unanimous opposition to the War on Drugs, yet it has been happening for decades. Maybe our generation will be the ones to finally correct this travesty of a social policy.

My view on the use of drugs is that it's a personal choice with mostly personal consequences. Prison should be a place for real criminals, like murderers, rapists, pedophiles, robbers, etc. I don't believe people should be in jail for getting high.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Not to mention our prison system is so fucking overrun. The last thing we need is to be imprisoning for trivial bullshit. There other ways of fixing this issue.

Evan

Evan Well-Known Member

Pretty much what you guys have all said. The war on drugs is a fucking joke.

There's this really interesting documentary about this on Netflix called Breaking the Taboo. The facts it presents are pretty alarming. After seeing it, I have no idea how anyone could defend the idiocy that is the war on drugs. Plus, it's narrated by Morgan Freeman so yeah, you really should watch it. :whythefuckistherenomorganfreemansmiley:

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I always find it a bit baffling that things such as weed are illegal but alcohol, cigarettes, and fast food are not only legal but make up a chunk of the economy - despite arguably being more harmful to people. You could theoretically go and pick up a litre of whiskey, a carton of smokes, a supersized big mac meal and a bag of weed and the least harmful product that you would have purchased could throw you in jail depending where you are. That's nuts. It's also hilariously confusing as to why weed, despite being legal in 4 states and available for medicinal use in numerous others, is still a schedule 1 drug.

I say legalize drugs and take the distribution of them out of the hands of crime. I'm not saying make it legal to pick up a few tabs of LSD from your local 7/11, but make them available from pharmacies and limit peoples usage with prescriptions. The fact is if you're a junky you're gonna get your fix somehow, and will likely use even if you have no idea what is in the substance you're about to put inside your body. Legalization can help ensure that the substance is pure and less likely to harm you.

People need to let others get on with their lives the way they want. If someone wants to shoot up, thats their problem not mine. The fact is that I've been smoking weed on and off since I was 13 and it hasn't had a negative impact on me at all. I actually accredit it to improving a lot in my life. It's made me less socially awkward, more creative, less stressed and made me more of a critical thinker. We all spend our lives at work and we have to pay taxes, insurances etc and frankly everyone needs something to help cope in this day and age. I'm willing to bet far more psychological problems exist as a result of the way the system is structured to siphon all our money and productivity than drugs ever could.