The Official Rap/Hip-Hop Thread

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Paul, Jan 4, 2007.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

I'm following the trend of these and creating a Rap/Hip-Hop thread. Yay! But for some reason, I think this thread is going to fail. Oh well.

Hands down, my favorite rap album of 2006 would have to go to my hometown hero Lupe Fiasco and his album Food & Liquor. I call it a modern day Illmatic (Yeah, I said it). It was just...amazing. From the beats to the lyrics, I could not find one flaw in this album.

Another one of my favorities go to The Clipse and their album Hell Hath No Fury. With their 4 year long absence, these guys fell off the face of the earth for a little while but came back with some of the best lyrics I've heard in a while. The Neptunes even provided some great beats too which came to a surprise to me because in my opinion the Neptunes are the most overrated producers behind will.i.am.

As for 2007, I'm looking forward to Dr. Dre's Detox. I know it was suppose to come out like 2 years ago, but Dre said it himself it's coming out September 2007. And let's face it, it's Dr. Dre so you know it's going to be a classic.

What were some of your favorite albums from 2006? What are you looking forward in 2007?

Another thing I should add is that Eminem is slated for an album this year?Now Silm Shady has made some amazing songs ('Till I Collapse, Lose Yourself, Rock Bottom) and he has made some horrible songs (Just Lose It, Puke, 80% of Encore), but with the recent slaying of his best friend Proof, his second divorce to his wife Kim, and his drug addiction, do you think Marshall will make his return to the old Slim Shady?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2007
    Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

aesop rock is pretty nice.
    old jay-z is good too.
    so is old ll cool j.
    lupe fiasco make some good stuff too.
    and i dig this dude named peanut butter wolf.
    and living legends is really good.
    hip hop is amazing.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

I wanna hear some people's take on this.

Do you agree with Nas' and Jay-Z's recent claims that Hip-Hop is dead (Nas' new album was amazing BTW)? Even though both Nas and Jay are one of my favorite artist, I have to disagree with them. 2006 was an amazing year for Hip-Hop is terms of quality of the music.

Chris Luke

Nah, hip hop isn't dead. It's just that 80% of what's mainstream sucks. And Jay-Z's new album was amazing. That and The Blood Brother's Young Machetes are my offical favorites of 06.

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

Go underground.

Testament

Testament \m/ LPA Super Member

I dig Nas, NWA and Wu-Tang Clan, but that's about it. other than that, I don't really care for rap.

Dean

Dean LPA Addict LPA Addict

I'm not a massive fan but there are some artists I really like. Public Enemy, Dilated Peoples, DJ Shadow, Mixmaster Mike (with or without Beastie Boys) and Outkast for instance.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

Lupe is tight. i love what he does. i followed his progress from this 3 mix tapes and joints he did on the side to food and liquor. his man is the future i say! lupe the gorilla was awesome

check out a uk artist called 'sway,' his stuff is worth a listen...

Jay-Z is the all time hero - his older stuff is much better i think. anyone who likes music such listen to a track by him called 'dead preidents 2' its so good. everyone i played this track to all said they loved it :)

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I'm a mix between some mainstream and some underground.

I'm big into the Roots, Jurassic 5, Jedi Mind Tricks, Zion I, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Aesop Rock, Nas (Jay-Z disappoints me these days), Lupe, Wu-Tang, Apathy, Saul Williams, some other random stuff.

Chris Luke

Oh I forgot about Talib Kweli and Saul Williams. Damnit. >_<