The Mall OST

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Filip, Jul 9, 2013.

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

All info on THE MALL OST:

• On May 11, 2011 it was confirmed Joe Hahn would be directing a movie titled ''The Mall''. The movie will star Vincent D'Onforio, Chelsea Handler and Eric Bogosian, the writer of the short novel the movie is based on.
    • Almost a year later, on April 10, 2012 it was confirmed the OST for the movie would be done by the band themselves. Here is a link to the Bloody Disgusting post that confirmed this.
    • The soundtrack of the movie will fall under Linkin Park's record deal with Warner, as confirmed here.
    • Shooting of the movie began in April 2012, it is unknown if it has been finished. In May 2012, selected LPU members were present on the shooting of the movie. You can view the gallery of the event here.
    • In May 2013, Joe Hahn posted a picture on his Instagram account which shows a still from The Mall. This is the only indication that the shooting of the movie has finished. The picture shows Cameron Monaghan and India Menuez.
    • In August 2013, Chester Bennington confirmed they're still working on the soundtrack with drummer Alec Puro from Deadsy in an interview with Yahoo! Music. I won't post a link to the interview since a few LP fansites got warnings from the band for posting the interview which was quickly taken down.

What would you like to hear on the soundtrack?

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
    Andreina

Andreina Proud Venezuelan LP fan. LPA Contributor

I am expecting it to have vocals.. Otherwise I couldn't say what Chester would be participating in since his major contribution to the band comes from the vocals.

Instrumental doesn't sound bad but I don't have the level of concentration to listen to instrumentals regularly. Little bits here and there are nice, a full body of work would be distracting for me.

Astat

Astat LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm guessing it'll be primarily instrumental stuff, with a big "end credits" song with vocals that will inevitably be released as a single.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Chester is going to do clapping and stuff.

Geki

Geki >.

This for sure.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'd rather it be all instrumental pieces with no real single. Tacking a Linkin Park song to the end of a movie about a mass-shooting falls between some nerd making his first AMV and a turn-of-the-millennium horror movie soundtrack on the cheesiness scale. Hopefully it won't be a generic rock score and that it also differentiates itself from the Raid OST.

Geki

Geki >.

It's actually not cheesy though. It's a great novel, I read it. Very good. It's a dark concept, but that doesn't make it cheesy. Transformers is cheesy. Twilight is cheesy. Mall is a dark story, it will basically be a psychological thriller. LP making a single for this movie would be incredible. I like the dark stuff LP has done in the past. LP doing a song for Mall has the potential to be epic.

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

He wasn't referring to the movie or book I don't think. He was referring to a big mainstream rock band tacking an original song onto the end credits of the movie they scored. And I can see where he's coming from, if the song sounds like your typical Linkin Park radio single.

But, if they did make something a little more somber or dark, which I'm assuming is the vibe of the film from what little I know of it, then I could get into that.

Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I'm not knocking the story. It's just that I've also seen an AMV of Wolf's Rain, which is considered to be a very mature and esoteric series, set to "Numb/Encore". What I'm saying is that I really don't think Mike or Chester--mostly Chester--can write lyrics that can give the subject matter an appropriate level of gravitas. Unless it's like a David Bowie/Labyrinth thing where the entire soundtrack's just an album they didn't care enough about to give a proper release, I don't think a Linkin Park song would fit the film. That'd be like if the Social Network ended with a NIN song.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
    Geki

Geki >.

LP making a dark song for a dark film is what would be best. LP just needs to mature a bit more and they would be making stuff like this, which isn't the case with stuff like New Divide or Burn It Down. This could have potential to not be like the big LP radio single stuff, which I hope it doesn't.

Filip

I know it's based on nothing, but... when do you guys think it will be out?

Vdalem

Vdalem Purrfect! LPA Super VIP

*shrugs* I wish I knew.

lime treacle

I hope it's this year. If not, then the first half of '14.

Filip

I hope so...

lime treacle

We haven't been given a lot of data. In what process are their currently in, making-of-film-wise? Has the shooting even started yet? Is it done? I've no idea.

Decay

Decay Well-Known Member

The advertising of this movie has been even worse than the singles on Living Things, which is saying a lot :lol:

Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

A couple sources, including Mike and Joe I think, have said that it's in post production.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

Yeah, they usually throw in a sentence or two that's hinted that. It's helpful collectively, but they aren't giving many details about anything anymore. Maybe they learned hyping up media doesn't always work.

lime treacle

Well then, it shouldn't be that long before it comes out.

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

I have a feeling this will be like The Raid in some ways. But nonetheless, it's interesting to see what they can come up with for a film instead of what Mike can bring up.