The DAW questions thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by minuteforce, Oct 30, 2013.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

With the new "A Light That Never Comes" remix competition and also with LPA's MMU/Playback rounds already, there are a lot of questions bouncing around about how to do this or that with certain music production programs. I wanted to start a thread to see if it could all be kept in one place.

So, if you have a question that you haven't been able to find an answer to elsewhere, please post it here and wait patiently for someone with the relevant expertise to stop by and answer it for you. I suppose that this is bound to invite general DAW discussions but we'll figure out how to manage those as they come.

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

Hi. I just wanted to know how to properly use Stagelight. Remix some things for fun. I mad a (shitty) song in there already but couldn't figure out how to get it into .mp3 form at all. I just want it to mess around with my kid. I can figure things out how to make sounds on my own but I feel their tutorial isn't very good.

RyRy

RyRy LPA VIP LPA VIP

What would be a good program to start with? I've never edited audio besides simple cutting and pasting on Audacity but I wouldn't mind starting.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

I dig Fruity Loops with Mixcraft on PC and/or GarageBand on Mac. If you've got the power and space to run it, Logic on Mac is killer.

Kevin

Kevin A Pattern To Be Followed. LPA Administrator

The power of Fruity Loops and tablets
    [video=youtube;DQT6DyA-ZDI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DQT6DyA-ZDI[/video]

minuteforce

I'll get back to you later once I'm at home but I believe that you'd have to export in WAV or whatever and convert to MP3 afterwards.

EDIT: ^ yeah, I was right. So: file > mixdown > entire song > [save dialog] :)

Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Mixcraft is an ideal starter. I'd say it is easier to use than Garageband, but opinions vary.

minuteforce

I don't have any experience with GarageBand but I've heard nothing bad about it from beginners. It's probably far sturdier than Stagelight, which is supposed to be its Windows equivalent

UNiPersona

UNiPersona previously known as STARKINATOR

Well, perhaps I'm too used to Mixcraft, or I'm not used to Mac OS, I would prefer Mixcraft to Stagelight and GarageBand as a starter. But yeah, I'll definitely upgrade to Logic.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

FL Studio is pretty straight forward. Lots of tutorials if you get lost. It's the cheapest major DAW you can buy I believe. Or it's all over torrent sites if you want to go that route. The only bad thing is they haven't released a stable 64-bit version yet. It's been "coming soon" for like half a year now.

But basically all major DAWs are the same. You just need one that fits your eye and sparks your creativity. I've tried other DAWs and felt helpless and scared. Find one you like and master it. No DAW produces better quality songs than any other DAW. You just gotta have skillz.