The Catalyst Out Now!

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Aug 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

As an old school fan, they haven't lost me at all. And I don't see them trying to increase their fan base as much as (my opinion) weed out closed-minded fans that just want Hybrid Theory Pt. 3.

And I'd say that (again, my opinion) The Catalyst is vastly superior to What I've Done.

2. Shadow

Shadow The Evil That Men Do.. LPA VIP

I also think that the reason this track lacked substance in the lyrical department was to make it easier for remixers to do. If they went all out crazy with the lyrics (as they are hyping us up about and what we've seen M2M) . I any day choose the lyrical material in M2M, much more definition, the tracks were my big downer because they lacked power. In The Cataylst, is the other way around; the track sounds like it fused the best of Hybrid and M2M and had a baby. Sadly I can't say the same about the lyrics, but this is just one song! I am not putting my hopes down.

Changing while retaining your entity I am all for. Changing and losing your entity I am not for. I am pretty sure LP is much smarter than that. I have hopes for ATS. This will go down as the first single in LP history that has caused such a fuzz among the fan community itself. Whereas in the past it was more of the fan community vs the world lol.

3. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

No. They are doing this because they feel like writing new music. It has nothing to do with us or any other fans.

4. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

lol when i was a kid i couldnt find anybody who wasnt a LP fan. Now when I go to school I get bashed on because I am a LP fan and cant find anybody who is still a LP fan. I think they lost a huge majority of there fan base

5. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

@ Shadow: Thanks for the very well thought-out response. I understand what you're saying in all instances, I'm praying that A Thousand Suns brings the "staying power" you referred to though. I'm aware that Minutes To Midnight wasn't their most well received album, so what I want more than anything is for this next release to stabilize their name.

@ hybrid.theory7: I'm aware they're losing old fans, I saw quite a bit of that on the YouTube video I watched. And, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I believe that if the sound of The Catalyst accurately portrays the sound of A Thousand Suns in its entirety, then Minutes To Midnight couldn't hold a candle to it.

6. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

There's no denying Meteora was successful on the Modern Rock Charts. Hell, I covered Billboard stats for years and saw it first hand.

However, again, mainstream success does not make the quality of the music any better. Sure, it may be catchy and radio-friendly, but Meteora was the band at its creative worst, and this shines through in the forced angsty lyrics and the simple powerchords.

I'm glad they're stepping outside of the box. It's exciting to think about what they could possibly come up with!

7. Shadow

Yes, at the end of the day. You write new music to reach out to new people, get more fans and of course spread the message of your music (again get more people = more fans). Which there's nothing wrong with all. Isn't that what one wants to achieve as a musician? Have your music be heard by the masses? To known.. to be like with reason, to be loved and remembered? To leave your mark in history...

8. deftonesfan867

deftonesfan867 976-EVIL

You're point being?

Fuck the kiddies straight up.

If that's how you define what to listen to then you will always live a sad existence.

9. ALivingGrudge

ALivingGrudge We are saints made of plaster.

Only if you're doing it for all the wrong reasons. Any honest musician will just want to make music that he/she/they are proud of, and if other people love it, then awesome. If not, at least you can say you were honest with yourself and any fans you had.

10. Minus

This man speaks truth.

11. Pedro18

Pedro18 Well-Known Member

Those are nu-metal fans and Hybrid theory / meteora fans, i wouldn't categorize them as an lp fan, and why the fu** should people bash on your taste in music? and why should you care? if anybody at your school didn't like your girlfriend, would you dump her because of them?

P.S: the answer is no

12. Minus

Depends on how much of a bitch the bitch is, but I digress.

13. iNuBBiN

iNuBBiN Well-Known Member

Hmmmmm thats not how i define to what I listen to.... Beause i love LP?

@Mark
    I actually think Meteora is there best work(dont yell at me). I feel so much energy and creativeness from it. I find it completely different from HT. Like they were going for a personal best not best selling. But i love the electronic feel of Meteora and the energy that comes flying at me. Like BTH and Numb, and the intro to somewhere I belong are all brilliant. I didnt become a hard core fan till i heard Meteora

14. Mark

I think any band will tell you that if they can make music they're satisfied with, they've won the battle. If the success and the fame and the fans come, then it's a cherry on top.

LP now have to perform ATS songs live for years and years. Do you think they'd rather perform something they're all kind of "meh" and not proud of, or something they laboured over and truly enjoy performing?

I'm betting the guys die a little inside every time they play One Step Closer or Somewhere I Belong.

15. Shadow

I am down with you about this Mark. While "Meteora" did do fantastic as previous poster and you pointed out, it lived off the shadow that Hybrid Theory is. My point was that M2M did not have the same mainstream success as you said. And while what you say is true, mainstream success is as important as the quality in the sound. It's like Quantity vs Quality. At this point in the game, this album should trounce over their previous work. They are older, matured, and are much better; so technically shouldn't this be superior sounding? It should also have the ability to captures everyone's attention the same way Eminem did with Not Afraid, which shows he's aged, matured, sounds better and has outdone himself. Why can't we expect the same from our gods "Linkin Park". They are as big of an entity as he is.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  16. Pedro18

Pedro18 Well-Known Member

She's no bitch, she just changed her air colour, from black to blond, but she stills looks fuck**g awesome

17. Ben

Ben Well-Known Member

Why One Step Closer? Just curious. I remember years ago watching an interview where Chester said he hates singing that song live. But seeing as it was off HT which we could assume is something LP "wanted" to create, why would they die inside from preforming this one?

18. The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Probably because they've played it....probably over a thousand times. Literally.

19. Mark

You're obviously entitled to your opinion, and I'm not going to yell at you! :p

It's just that I came to a point where I listened to Meteora and got nothing from it. Sub-par lyrics, same old song structure and formulas, predictable and unimaginative guitars. Rob was really the only one who stepped up his game. It was Linkin Park at its catchiest, yet its most shallow. Some people want energetic songs and don't care about simplicity or depth. Cool. Others want something with more substance. That was my main gripe with the album.

20. hybrid.theory7

hybrid.theory7 Well-Known Member

i disagree with you what ive done was the song which the masses liked,and its also my favourite song ,whereas TC is only liked by a few,im not saying i dont like TC but it is nowhere in comparison of songs like what ive done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.