Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014)

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Jesse, Mar 22, 2012.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Micheal Bay is set to direct the new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie, but says that the turtles will be aliens. I have a big problem with that, obviously. And so do a lot of others. Read here and here.

1. Aliens. Why have mutant in the title? Unless they are mutated aliens? Still the title should read Teenage Mutant Alien Ninja Turtles.

2. Ninja.

What is a ninja? A person skilled in ninjutsu.

What is ninjutsu? It synonymous with Ninpo, which is a group of relevant martial art traditions that have been developed since before the Hogen Rebellion (12th Century Japan) or more familiarly known as "The tradional Japanese techniqe of espionage, characterized by stealthy movement and camuflage"

So, unless there is a country on this planet the aliens come from, called Japan, and in that Japan there is a fighting style called ninjutsu that mirrors the same exact one on Earth, while also being characterized by stealthy movement and camouflage, called "Ninja" they can not be Ninja.

So, the title should read Teenage Mutant Alien Fighting Turtles...

3. Turtles. How likely is it that turtles would exist on this alien planet? I'd say extremely unlikely! Perhaps they'd look like turtles but wouldn't BE turtles. It's the same as a piece of poison looking like a slice of cheese. Just because it looks like cheese doesn't mean it is.

So the title should correctly read Teenage Mutant Fighting Creatures

4. How does time go by on their planet? Is a day an earth year? They could be considered thousands of years old here. But I will let this one slide, although it is definitely sketchy.

Final thought, once you change a series so much that the very title it's based on doesn't apply to it anymore, and become totally irrelevant, you are doing something wrong. Period.

Yes, I understand the substance (goo) that mutated the turtles is canon, and that it was alien but the turtles themselves were not from another planet.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2012
    Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

First, the movie is titled simply Ninja Turtles, and I'm assuming they're going to be an alien race that was discovered by some scientists, taught how to fight using ninjutsu as their style, and they're going to be referred to as "turtles" because they'll superficially look like turtles.

Don't get me wrong, I don't agree with changing the canon at all, but one of the original writers of the original comics is helping Michael Bay, so all hope is not lost.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Sweet. Another movie that will most likely suck ass that I'll go to anyways because of the awesome CGI.

hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Shredder is going to attempt to assplode the world with extremely large bombs and shit.
    The teenage mutant ninja alien fighting turtle-looking guiz will be all up in his shit with bombs of their own and hot sexy girlfriends.
    They'll each have their own personalized cars.

Jesse

Will, the creators sold out a long time ago. All you have to do is read the comic and then look at the late 80's- 90's cartoon. They've been steadily selling out a dying brand for years, but at least the original animated series actually had it's name apply and was good.

If you want to read a better adaptation, go with IDW's reboot.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Jesse. There's selling out, and there's Michael Bay selling out. You never want to Michael Bay sell out.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

My childhood has once again been raped. Here is a random thought... If they were aliens, why wouldn't they just use laser cannons and lightsabers and shit? I do know that this post is pointless. Needless to say, I'm sure the movie will be as well...

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Fuck this shit, the ninja turtles used to be fucking awesome. They were my favorite. But This sucks balls. Michael Bay suck it as far as I'm concerned.

Jesse

100% true.

First lesson of any directing/screen-writing career should be "Do not be Micheal Bay, and if you watched one of his movies and can't remember it or thought it was good, do something else"

Furthermore, to expand upon my original post, even if the movie is only called "Ninja Turtles" the title would still be misleading, as they are not ninja, nor are they turtles.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

[video=youtube;GFLGRidfFo4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFLGRidfFo4[/video]

Vanilla Ice or GTFO.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Your point is invalid; Raphael uses sai, which ninjas never used.

Doesn't make Bay's reboot any less of a travesty. But your point is moot.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

XD yes!!! :awesome:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

The creators have wanted to go back to the original style of the original comics for a long time; that's why TMNT was darker than any other movie that's been released for the franchise. It's just that kids have grown accustomed to the goofy-ass turtles from the cartoon that most studios are reluctant to take on a project that involves the darker storylines.

Jesse

Micheal Bay. That's it. What more do you need to convince you that this movie is likely to suck? :lol:

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

To be fair, it's my understanding that Bay is producing the film with two others so it's not entirely his project. Granted, his reputation doesn't give too much hope for this reboot. However, I'm excited to see what comes of it. I'm a huge Ninja Turtles fan and a live-action reboot is something I've wanted for years. I'm not going to judge this "aliens" bullshit yet because nobody has any idea how it will even be done. I'm down and I'm not being critical about it yet. Just looking forward to seeing what happens with this.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

shinformant

shinformant Banned

People forget that there has been tonnes of garbage associated with this franchise forever, and even discounting that it's just something we liked as children. No need to shit the bed. :)

EVIL_ASH25

EVIL_ASH25 Member

I just hope that the turtle's aren't cg. If they are i hope it's motion capture. not like bay's shitty bayformers.

Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

So more details of plot came out about this and I have to admit that my knee-jerk first response post on here was pretty closed-minded and misinformed. So the whole idea of aliens as their back story lies with the aliens responsible for the mutation to the turtles. The turtles took exception to what the aliens did to them and vow to protect the planet from the aliens and their mutated creatures. To me, that actually sounds like a cool little twist on the classic story.

That being said, I'm just gonna leave this here:

[Thumb]http://wac.450F.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/comicsalliance.com/files/2014/01/y4rGiis.jpg[/thumb]

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Still not board, mostly due to the fact that some of my favorite childhood characters are in the hands of Michael Bay...