Straight Edge

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Nowhere Kid, Mar 27, 2004.

Nowhere Kid

Nowhere Kid Well-Known Member

Okay, first of all, for those who don't know that the term 'Straight Edge' is all about, I will explain. When someone is Straight Edge [AKA sXe] you do not smoke, do not drink, and do not have sex unless you are in a commited relationship such as marriage. It's basically keeping your body free of all poisons. A way to tell if someone is sXe is if they have Xs drawn on their hands usually with a black marker. There is a history behind that that goes back to the 70s and I won't bore you to explain that.

Secondly, I am sXe. I made this decision last year when people around me and my friends started getting heavy into drugs and I saw how badly they were screwing their lives and relationships up and I didn't want to be like them. The idea of surviving to see my adult years was appealing. I used to drink years before, but I stopped and realized what it was doing to me and that it was in fact not making me 'cool' or whatever people see it to be. So a year later I drew the black Xs on my hands and swore not to break edge.

Anyone else sXe?

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I'm straight edge and I love the fact that I can piss people off by saying that I'm straight edge. People at my school always make fun of me for it by saying that I'm too scared to drink or smoke or have sex when that's hardly true. I could ruin my body by smoking or drinking, but I choose not to. I also don't plan on having sex until I'm with the girl I plan on spending the rest of my life with.

Andrea

Andrea best friends. LPA Addicted VIP

You know what's weird? My friend Jay has straight edge patches all over his clothes and bookbag, and yet he brags to me and his other friends about how he has sex with his girlfriend, smokes pot and drinks alcohol a lot. :rolleyes: Unless he is lying or something. What a hypocrite.

Anyway, I'm not straight edge. I occasionally drink and have sex. People think that makes me a bad person but I'm not. It's my choice and that's how I want to be.

I highly respect people who are straight edge, like Will.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I'm not straight edge. i don't have a problem with those that are, except for the ones that say "straight edge means i'm better than you".

good for them if they don't want to smoke pot. they're better off. I wish I could be like that, but i've been doing it for so long now that i can't.

Nowhere Kid

Nowhere Kid Well-Known Member

I know the type. People who think they or whoever are better than everyone else just because they are Straight Edge is wrong because they're not. We're all the same. Decisions we make may be better than other peoples', but it doesn't mean we're any better than anyone else. Just better off. ;)

TeMpEsT

TeMpEsT Live To Thrash LPA Super Member

I was that way, then the girl cheats on you afterwards. :whistle:

I guess I could be sXe, except that I wouldn't mind to have sex. Still a virgin, but I'm still kind of staying away from girls for the time being. Been hurt too much.

May

May Ambient

I'm not straight edge. Not going to get into but I don't do drugs. I've been offered but I always turn it down. For those who are straight edge I have a lot of respect for since it's really hard to be straight edge. So for those who are way to go! :)

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

We had a thread about this a few months ago, but it got closed because people started fighting over weather or not drug use was okay.

I follow all the "straight-edge guidelines" but I don't X up because I'm a law-abiding 14 year old who has no idea what her position on drinking will be when she's 21, and sXe is supposed to be for life.

I have tons of respect for anyone who has decided to follow the sXe lifestyle (my best friend is straight-edge) because it can't be easy to say no to so many things that are the "norm," especially in the punk & hardcore scene.

Meteora89

Meteora89 Well-Known Member

I guess i could say im straight edged meaning that i will never never do drugs or drink but i have no problem with having sex but as long as its a girl that im gonna stay togther with for the rest of my life.

Magick

Magick Ambient

I am. I've always been clean, but I claimed edge in my freshman year of high school. I only have two other friends who claim to be sXe, and the rest drink & smoke basically every day.

Just some notes on some replies in the thread:
    - Have sex, but just don't go whoring yourself around each night; no promiscuous sex.
    - Straight edge is associated with hardcore, but of course, not all kids into hardcore are sXe, and vise-versa
    - You can't just "guess" you're sXe. It's a life commitment. Do not claim if you don't think you can stay true.

Hybrid Theory

Hybrid Theory Well-Known Member

Then I'm not straight edge. I know I'll have sex before marriage. I will never smoke and I might/might not drink.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Ok. I guess I'm not straight age then. I don't drink, smoke, and have sex (I'm 14) but I plan to drink and have sex in my later life.

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

What people don't understand is that the idea of straight edge is against promiscuous sex, meaning you can have sex, but shouldn't go around doing it with the first person that walks by... It should mean something.

And it really pisses me off when people claim be edge and then they continue to do drugs, drink, whore around, etc.

It doesn't matter if you've done all of that in the past. Anyone can become straight edge once they give up the 'poison' and start living a healthier life syle.

K.Porter

K.Porter Banned

Calling those things 'poisons' kind of makes it seem as though they are very bad meaning people who do them are also very bad. I don't drink nor do I do drugs so don't think i'm just defending myself. It just seems wrong to call them poisons. :wth:

coley8605

coley8605 Guest

... That's why I put it with the quotes around it... Either way, we all have obviously been told they're not good for the body, so it makes sense anyway.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

I'm not straight edge. I've got nothing against those who are though.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

I'm not straight edge atal. I don't smoke or do drugs or anything but i do drink quite alot.

Nikki

Nikki I have no idea what is going on LPA Super Member

I don't see the point of drawing big crosses on your hands. It reminds me of the tape Nelly has on his cheek: Bleeding pointless.

The Straight-edge idea is great, though if I'm honest I don't think I'd fit into it - but drawing crosses all over you is just bizarre in my opinion.

Nothing against those that are - in fact I'd give props to them if I could be arsed.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I'm not straight edge, even though I don't drink or do drugs and I'm still a virgin. I'm just "kind of a prude", to quote an acquaintance of mine.