Stereotyping-the new black?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by BloodOnTheDashboard, Feb 6, 2004.

BloodOnTheDashboard

BloodOnTheDashboard Well-Known Member

lol i am mad but seriously.....its been on my mind ever since i started highschool and got thrown into the millions of social cliches.
    do you think anybody can ever be an individual and not be labelled? it seems like theres a label for everyone-moshers, skaters, townies, gangstas, goths, emo kids, trendies etc etc the list never ends.
    does it ever bother you can never really be YOU? and how almost everybody seems to judge you on your appearance? its human nature i guess but its never like you see in the films where the outcast always gets befriended by the popular person or somebody who feels sorry for them.
    its a sad world :(
    so whats like some of the most ridiculous labels you've been given? i have been called a goth for liking LP........... :wth:

Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

Skator and a thug :lol:

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

doesn't bother me. I'm a g-hall groupie which is exclusive for my school and a lil gothic. Doesn't bother me at all.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Labeling is always going to happen whether you like it or not, and there really isn't anything anyone can do about it.

I'm not really sure what other people label me as, but I see myself as just a rocker. I usually wear band T-shirts and whatnot, and I wear the pants I got from Hot Topic and my black JNCOs all the time. But I'll also occaisionally wear khakis and regular T-shirts, just to go for a more casual look, and so that I don't have to wear black all the time. So I'll let people label me what they want to, because it doesn't bother me.

I also label people, but everyone does, whether they want to or not.

Cal

Cal LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

i woudnt call myself anything, i dress casually, do what I wanna do, listen what I want to listen too, thats being yourself, and if someone does that, they cant be labeled

withnoapologies

withnoapologies Well-Known Member

the labels of me:

poser: last year about this time was the time when i stopped pretending to be someone else, and became my real self, because of this drammatic change, people think that i "act" like this "new" me to get attention. (i saw this shirt that said: i don't want to be different, i want to be me...... isnt that awesome..... thats what im trying to say to a croud of ignorant people, but it doesnt work :( )

punk: one of the popular guys called me a punk, how sickening, because i listen to music others dont or something like that. also because i am very political.

goth: probably because i hate the R&B, hip hop, and pop music and like stuff thats a little harder.

i am also crazy, because i have a duct tape bracellete(sp?) that i always wear, cant leave the house without it! also, at reccess, sometimes i feel like spinning, so i go in an open patch of asphault, and spin madly..... i could go on.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I hate hate hate labels. But, like Will said, no matter what they never go away.

I'm usually just "the weird homeschool chick" which isn't really a bad label.

Back when I first started dying my hair blue a couple "friends" (we no longer commicate much because we just plan can't get along) freaked out and said "Oh my god she's turning punk!" which is stupid, because even though I like a lot of punk, I don't look punk.

Another label I get quite often (especially from my family) is "smartass" but I guess that one can be pretty true! :lol:

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I could go on and on in this topic about how I know how it feels, but I have no energy, and I want to keep it short... Hopefully.

People say I'm full of crap, but I usually never label anyone. When I look at someone, I'll never say "She's a rocker because he's got chains" or "He's a baller because he wears that sweat thing on his head." But unfourtunately, I've been labeled a lot. Every clique in school has a name for me. Overall, they all refer to me as "goth" or "ass" (sometimes adding "hole" to the end of it). Even the other 'rocker' people in school label me. They call me a poser because I shop at like, Hot Topic. It really is a drag, and it's hard going through every day life when people all around you keep insulting you and everything and it seems like no matter what you do, they don't change the label. Sometimes it changes, but in my experience, it never did.

It seems funny how I'm an "ass" or "hater" when I barely speak in school, it's also funny how listening to bands like Slipknot or Linkin Park get me called a poser, the funniest one yet, though, is that people think is that I got the nickname "f**ker" for trying to help my class out :lol:. It's just funny how the silent one, who doesn't do anything to provoke others is always the worse person in school where you see a kid beating the crap out of another kid, and he's considered cool.

LornVourkolakas

LornVourkolakas About To Blow Chunks

I totally agree with you. I mean, when I'm talking about someone, I always go "Oh, the ghetto Michael." And stuff like that. It's sort of my way of putting my friends apart when they have the same names. I get labelled a lot too. Mostly as the white kid, or hot guy... :wth:

But I do think everyone labels other people. You just don't notice it when you do.

Anya

Anya Lost LPA Super VIP

I've been called Goth, Punk, and Emo. :lol:

Well I do happen to be emotional for alot of things. But emo to me really isn't a label. To me I'm just regular 'Anya'. I'm my own label. You wanna know me, you have to BE me.

That's the way most of America should be but too many people are hooked on being a prep, punk, goth. They're all trends no matter what you say, even if your saying you not following a trend. In a way you just are if you set out to be one of those people.

I say just give up and don't try to be anything at all. Just do a random sort of things, whatever makes you happy is what you are and there's nothing anybody can do to change that but yourself.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

I'm grouped in with the skater kids, because my friends skate.

But I'm nothing like them. They like Blink182, and I like Tool. :mellow:

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

n*gger, wigger, gangster, skater, ... i'm sure there's more people have said about me. :wth:

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

People always say I look fried all day because my eyes get red because of the weather and lights.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

how can you be a wigger & a n*gger at the same time?

Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

Im labeled alot. Punk, n*gger, poser, alot of stuff. I can wear a Rocawear shirt one day, and my LPU3 shirt the next, all while wearing DCs. I really don't care what people say about me. I just think that I annoy people that think I have to fit a mold.

Aaron

Aaron Foundation LPA Super Member

Emo. And that's it. But it was only for a while.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

To be honest, I don't really know what people label me, and I really don't care. I'm me, if people want to think I'm something else, fine, let them.

Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Sucks. When guy getting his ass kicked fights back and whoops the other guys ass, he gets labeled a freak (i'm sure you've heard about that darned peter parker kid).

I'm lucky to be categorized in the exclusive group of "those guys" or "that one guy". No one knows my name but I don't care. F*ck East.

John.

John. i am corruption LPA Super Member

how can you be a wigger & a n*gger at the same time? [/b][/quote]
    its what some 'label' me

for the record: i am white, i am not a wigger, i do not talk/act black, i just wear clothes of the urban culture ;)

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

its what some 'label' me

for the record: i am white, i am not a wigger, i do not talk/act black, i just wear clothes of the urban culture ;) [/b][/quote]
    You'd fit right in at my school, just don't forget your bling bling on your first day :lol: