[SPOILER ALERT] The Dark Knight Rises

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Agent, Oct 27, 2010.

1. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Saw the movie a second time and it got worse for me.

2. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

Sorry? The entire thread is now marked with "[SPOILER ALERT]" in the title. I don't know who put it there but it makes it pretty clear what you should expect in this thread, does it not? That's why I stopped being vague and non-spoilerish.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  3. hawk

hawk because the internet LPA Super VIP

Kicking ass, motherfucker.

The Dark Knight Rises is a prequel, right?

4. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

No. It's set eight years after The Dark Knight, which itself is set less than a year (I believe) after Batman Begins.

I mean, I understand why it's called The Dark Knight Rises, but I still think it's stupid. A lot of people don't even know Batman Begins is part of the trilogy (if they're casual viewers) because of the different titles, which is why I thought it'd be cool if they gave the third movie another completely different title. But alas.

5. hawk

You missed the sarcasm. My fault.
    It would have been cool to get a third, different title, but there wasn't much up for offer without it sounding somewhat less serious.

6. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

:lol:

Yeah. I missed the sarcasm. I'm tired. Forgive me.

But I agree with what you said. There really isn't anything else they could've called the movie, although I'm sure they could've come up with something. The only thing I can come up with is The Caped Crusader and that sounds stupid and doesn't fit. :lol:

-edit-
    Actually, calling it The Batman would've been kind of neat. :lol:

7. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Some people don't automatically turn off their reading ability when going through the activity stream. It's like the whole "don't think of an elephant" example but with words.

SPOILER
    penguins eating yogurt

NOT SPOILER
    And that's why I think the movie is SPOILER penguins eating yogurt

Despite all your best efforts, you probably read what was underneath the word spoiler.

8. StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

Regardless, it's rather tedious to put a bunch of spoiler text in front of every single post in a thread clearly marked [SPOILER ALERT]

9. Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

The LPA should really invest in one of those one click spoiler tag things that I've seen in a few other forums. Then everyone will be happy!

Anyway, its a shame to see a lot of people being disappointed with Rises, but I loved it. It was the perfect end to the trilogy. And although it does have a few flaws a lot of you have mentioned (I felt Bane's defeat was a little anti-climatic too) but It was still one hell of a movie.

SPOILERS: I just wish we saw a shot of Bane being dragged away by the police back into Blackgate. Being killed by Selina just doesn't cut it :lol:

10. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Copy paste is your friend.

11. Brandon

Brandon I was Ree's 100th follower on Twitter.

No, I understand. I guess if a mod doesn't want to be spoiled they should avoid using the activity stream on this particular thread if such a thing is possible. If it's not then I guess I'll type "SPOILER MOTHERFUCKER" over and over for a good amount of lines. Also, sorry to Ree.

12. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Stop worrying about spoilers (people using the activity stream should be as vigilant as they are on FB/Twitter if they really care about spoilers) and get back to talking about this incredibly clunky movie.

13. Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I think it's safe to say a lot of people had some pretty unreasonable expectations for this film. The Dark Knight and Inception both had their share of plot holes and leaps in logic, so it surprises me that people were so bothered by them in this film. When it comes to summer blockbusters, Christopher Nolan is top notch, but the fanaticism some people show for him leads me to believe that they hold him to a higher standard than he probably desires or deserves. Don't get me wrong, TDKR is definitely flawed, I just think that when compared to other comic-book films, it was stylish and entertaining enough to make up for a lot of them.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  14. travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Because TDK and Inception were top-notch films, as are most of the films he writes. I've seen 6 of 7 of his movies that he's written and all of them but TDKR have been extraordinary. The quality of this movie was so much worse that I can't believe he even wrote it.

15. StaticOnTheWay

StaticOnTheWay Makin' you all say "woah"

Thank you.

16. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

A bad case of tunnel vision.

17. hawk

The Batman sounds pretty good, actually.
    It is odd looking at it now: Batman Begins; The Dark Knight; The Dark Knight Rises. The second two films look linked, whilst the first is somewhat of an outcast. Then again, The Batman would probably leave The Dark Knight an 'outcast'.
    Nevertheless, it ain't about the film name, it's all on the film itself.

18. shinformant

shinformant Banned

Inception is comfortably the most overrated mainstream film in recent memory as far as I'm concerned, but I'll concede that was at least pulled off with enough aplomb and slickness that taken at face value it stands up well. TDKR isn't horrible by any means, but it doesn't have that benefit either.

19. Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

No worries, I saw the spoiler on Friday in the Activity Feed thinking that this was the shooting thread in Serious Chat. It was the comment about Robin a few pages back, haha. But it was ok as I managed to avoid all other spoilers and I was completely surprised at the twists at the end of the movie.

I agree with Mark, it would have been awesome if we were only shown Alfred acknowledging someone in the cafe but not actually shown who he was acknowledging :leo:. Marion's dying scene was terrible. I didn't like the Talia/Bane twist at the end. Also, I barely understood what Bane and Batman were saying half the time, I definitely have to watch it again.

Anne Hathaway looked so damn sexy, she was brilliant. Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Tom Hardy were great too.

8/10

20. Snail

Snail LPA Super Member LPA Super Member