Ska

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Amy, Jun 28, 2005.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Does anyone like it? If so, what bands are you into? I like it heeappsss... so lets talk about it if you like it too.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Ska was put on life support when Five Iron Frenzy broke up. Ska died when The OC Supertones annouced that they were breaking up.

Ska was a good friend of mine. I'm gonna miss him. :'(

But yeah, those were the only two ska bands I was really interested in. The eight Five Iron albums that came out were really good, but I can't really say anything about the Supertones though. Their early stuff was awesome, but they went downhill over the years.

FreeYourMind

FreeYourMind Well-Known Member

Ska makes me jumpy. And everytime when the oompah-oompah comes in, I always have to laugh. But it's fine music, when you're in the mood for it.

I really like Tokyo Ska Paradise, I saw them live yesterday!

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

What's ska? :blink:

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Brief History of Ska

Darcy (Getchoo) is in a ska band.

Atsuzen

Atsuzen Super Member LPA Super Member

Brief History of Ska

Darcy (Getchoo) is in a ska band. [/b][/quote]
    Thankyu. :D

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Five Iron Frenzy are pretty awesome, but I can only really listen to a bit of their stuff. I haven't heard The OC Supertones or Tokyo Ska Paradise. Recommend any songs??

Does anyone like bands like Catch 22, Mad Caddies, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The Porkers, Reel Big Fish, Rx Bandits, Less Than Jake... etc??

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Old Hoobustank is sorta like ska. Atleast The Dance That Broke My Jaw is.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I like reel big fish...

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

I haven't heard the Hoobastank song...

Hey Glenn, have you heard any other sort of ska bands, cause if you like Reel Big Fish you'd probably like a few others...

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

Ska is probably my favorite type of music, along with punk, reggae, and folk.

My favorite ska band/singers are: The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (of course), Streetlight Manifesto, Westbound Train, The Slackers, Goldfinger, Less Than Jake, The Aquabats, Chris Murray, No Doubt (their older stuff...when they actually were a ska band), Skatalites, Big D & The Kids Table...

I could go on and on.

My ska band is called The Renegades...or The Renegaids...or Captain Rob's Renegade band...we're in the middle of changing our name. We don't have any good recordings right now, but we've got a song here. It's badly recorded, though.

EDIT: For the love of god, don't judge us by TDS Loung Style...it's a complete joke. Also, we're re-recording TDS and recording a bunch of other songs later this week and next week...and I apologize for shamelessly plugging my bands.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

Haha, yeah I'm listening to it now. You guys sound alright. Let me know when I can hear more by yous.

I haven't heard Streetlight Manifesto or Westbound Train so I will check them out later.

Everyone that likes ska sound check out the Australian ska bands like The Porkers, Sounds Like Chicken, Loin Groin, Area 7, Bagster.. yeah bands like that.

Jila

Jila Super Member LPA Super Member

im not really into ska.

i saw the mad caddies a while back, but i wasnt really into it. i kinda liked this one pirate song by them. but only because it was about pirates.

SketchaMPM

SketchaMPM Well-Known Member

Reel Big Fish is the best ska band still surviving, no question.

They have a great ska album that just came out but if you're new to them you'll recognize the songs "Beer", "Sell Out", "Say Ten" and their cover of "Take On Me".

The band appeared in the film BASEketball in which they contributed Beer and Take On Me.

"Turn The Radio Off" is their best album, I highly recommend it but the new album "We're Not Happy Til You're Not Happy" is also pretty great.

I used to be a huge Catch-22 fan until the founding members were kicked out/quit. Catch sucks horribly now, their only good album was "Keasby Nights". If you liked Catch's old sound then look no further than Streetlight Manifesto, a band started by Catch-22's founding members.

The Aquabats are silly and fun, good party music. Less Than Jake used to be awesome but they've lost their edge and are no longer ska. Mighty Mighty Bosstones were AWESOME but broke up long ago as did the Supertones, Suburban Rythm and many other ska greats.

Goldfinger is decent if that's your thing, Mad Caddies, Big D, etc.

I've seen RBF 6 times and they'll hang out and talk to you at every show.

The best ska show I ever saw was RX Bandits, Big D, Catch-22 and LBConfusion opening for Reel Big Fish. Best ska show ever.

Amy

Amy LPA VIP LPA Über VIP

I'm hearing heaps of good things about the new RBF album so I'm really thinking about buying it next time I go into the city..

I haven't heard much of the new Catch 22 stuff, but the few songs I've heard don't sound too bad. "Keasby Nights" was hella good though, so I will check out Streetlight Manifesto.

Mr. Benzedrine

Mr. Benzedrine Rock the 40 Oz

If anyone hasnt listened to them yet, Go listen to Operation Ivy or just buy the Energy album.

Honestly, You won't be dissapointed, And im sure everyone here who has heard then will back me up.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

A good friend of mine is a huge ska fan, so he's gotten me into some stuff, and I have to say that its quite awesome.

The Slackers, The Skatalites, Mad Caddies, Chris Murray, General Rudy and some others I've listened to have some really tight players.

Actually, I'm going to see a ska show later in July, with General Rudy and a band called the Makeshift Heroes. A friend of mine knows the saxophone player in the later band so we'll probably get to go backstage :D

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I think Goldfinger is Ska. If they are...then that's another ska band I kind of like.

I'd want to be in a ska band since I play the saxophone. That would be damn fun!

Darcy

Darcy LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree. Operation Ivy is great.

I've been listening to the same Streetlight Manifesto CD for about 4 hours straight (with a bit of Sublime in between) and I'm still not sick of it. That's how awesome they are.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

I agree. Operation Ivy is great. [/b][/quote]
    I third that. Operation Ivy are wonderful. They're not really straight-forward ska though, so people in this thread may or may not like them...but yeah, check 'em out, they rock.