Should People Pay For College?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Chris Luke, Aug 27, 2004.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

Thats what we've been saying.....why should you be denied a college education because you don't have the money?

Its very ironic though, in terms of money and influence, corporations are much more powerful than governments.....but with that power comes NO responsibility! Corporations don't know what to DO with all the profits! I think Corporations who receive hundreds of millions in profit should shoulder some responsibility and get taxed on this in order to make college more affordable.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Casey, unless you want to actually put up a debate on this other than your opinion, please don't post anymore :mellow:

Will

Will bread crumbs & white stones LPA Addicted VIP

Because the government is "too good" to pay for the colleges themselves and the colleges need to make money somehow.

RememberingNever

RememberingNever Well-Known Member

I think I know what you would say. But thats because you're very close minded about this whole subject. You arn't poor and you never where poor (or lets just say "family low on money.. very low".. so you have no idea how it is to have to struggle for the things you need.

and oh yeah.. I edited my other reply so you can read my continued reply on that one too.. if you want. ;)

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Yeah, because automatically being "rich" means you have a silver spoon in your mouth and you get everything you want, right?

WRONG.

RememberingNever

No duh.

... I have silver spoons. :rolleyes: :whistle:

That's not the point though.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Well, what is your point then?

Because I have money, I don't know what it's like to work for things?

RememberingNever

No.. not at all. You see, you have money and you don't want to go to college so you will never understand my point.. I should just give up on explaining things to you.

goso88

goso88 Well-Known Member

Yep, thats the cold, hard fact. But, the question is, SHOULD it be that way?

I don't think it should. Being poor shouldn't deny anyone of the opportunity to pursue their passions/education/chance to escape poverty. Its unfair and cruel. But we live in the real world. Woopdie-doo.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

People who want an education but can't afford it should not be shut out because of their financial status. Everyone should have a right to education if they want it, and that's why grants need to be given out more often to the middle and lower class citizens that the government has raped of money.

Methybrea

Because the government is "too good" to pay for the colleges themselves and the colleges need to make money somehow. [/b][/quote]
    But that doesn't make it right.

"The colleges need to make money?". A basic right is being run as a business. All of the sudden, the quality of the service doesn't matter and exclusion doesn't matter, as long as there is profit involved. Thats why basic rights run by corporations don't make sense because they aren't doing this solely for the people.

A publicly run facility does all it can for the people because it is funded BY and FOR the people and corruption within government as you well know can be rooted out a lot better than it can in a business. Also, no profit needs to be generated. As I was saying, since corporations have the rights of individuals they should also be responsible for basic rights.

And who would you vote for in the upcoming US election? :whistle:

Yes it does, if services are limited to only those who are able to pay. And by knowing that you are under 20 I know that you didn't work to get that money, its your parents who got you to your current status.

Do you want me to get into Democratic Equality and all of its theories? I don't think so :p

$pvcxGhxztCasey

No.. not at all. You see, you have money and you don't want to go to college so you will never understand my point.. I should just give up on explaining things to you. [/b][/quote]

I don't want to go to college because I'm already sick of school as it is. I have other plans.

Will

But that doesn't make it right.

"The colleges need to make money?". A basic right is being run as a business. All of the sudden, the quality of the service doesn't matter and exclusion doesn't matter, as long as there is profit involved. Thats why basic rights run by corporations don't make sense because they aren't doing this solely for the people.

A publicly run facility does all it can for the people because it is funded BY and FOR the people and corruption within government as you well know can be rooted out a lot better than it can in a business. Also, no profit needs to be generated. As I was saying, since corporations have the rights of individuals they should also be responsible for basic rights.

And who would you vote for in the upcoming US election? :whistle: [/b][/quote]
    Oh, I definitely agree with that. But the government is too stubborn to help the colleges so they have to make their students pay. If you ran a college in that situation, I don't think you'd want someone going to your school who couldn't even pay for it. That's what I'm saying.

RememberingNever

I don't want to go to college because I'm already sick of school as it is. I have other plans. [/b][/quote]
    See, I'm sick of school too. lol :lol:
    But, you must think of others when you say things. The worlds not only focused on you and me.. there are other people who have problems and troubles. There are other people who WANT to go to college.. you must be opened minded.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I know there are other people that want to go to College, but it's not my problem that they don't have the money to pay for it.

What am I supposed to do? Donate money to them? I said I think people should have to pay for College. If they have the money, great. If they don't, work hard for the money if you want it that bad.

Meh.

Methybrea

Good point Will, I misunderstood you. This is why the people with the power to change this should start acting, now.

I know someone whose family lives below the poverty line. She has worked since 15 and worked so many hours, has suffered through depression and eating disorders....and all of her money has gone to her family and she has no money for university. I don't think she'll get a government grant, and I haven't really tried to get an answer out of her but I don't think she could do it without a huge loan that would devastate her income for at least a decade. And yes, the needy should be helped by those more fortunate. I'm not saying that you should lose all your money, but do you have NO goodwill towards others? :unsure:

Will

Good point Will, I misunderstood you. This is why the people with the power to change this should start acting, now. [/b][/quote]
    *nods*

Other than that...I don't think people should have to pay for college. The government should, just like they do for elementaries and high schools. It's just a sad world we're living in where the government can't even do that.

RememberingNever

Yah, but considering other people who "don't have it easy" do you not think that the cost for college should be lowered just a bit?

I mean, I don't think it's wrong for people to have to pay for college, but I do think the price is way too high.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

what's the price :lol:

RememberingNever

:D I can't even say I know. lol But If I had to guess I'd say about $5000 a year. Anyone know exactly?

Will

At one school in my area, it's $27,500 per semester.