Should People Pay For College?

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Chris Luke, Aug 27, 2004.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

I don't really think people should pay for college. Some people have really low budgets and they're not able to pay for college. What are you guys opinon.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

No!

The goverment should be giving students money instead of taking it away.The goverment lives off its own greed :angry:

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i think you should have to pay whatever you can, but it should not be that the rich little princess girl cheerleader type (we all know what im talking about) pays the same amount of money as the starving artist's son. that is ridiculous.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

As a college freshman, I have to say that the cost sucks arse.

Fortunately, there's the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), scholarships, and all sorts of grants and loans for people who need them. You just need to know where to look. Oh--and for any of you people who are going to be juniors this year--take the PSAT/NMSQT. It's good practice for the SAT, and if you score high enough, it can mean major scholarship money. From that one test alone, I got enough scholarship offers to cover all my tuition over four years. Some schools even offer more.

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

i hate the motherf***ing psat's.

i got a 1260 on my psat's and an 1130 on my sat's. bull****.

so i have to take them over.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

with FAFSA, you have to be like poorer than poor to get the government to pay a penny of tuition. If your family makes money, you'll probably get what I got, a small loan from the government that I still have to pay back, interest and all.

The govt should pay for college education, the US is one of the few countries that doesn't.

RememberingNever

RememberingNever Well-Known Member

I think the price for college is way too high. I mean, I would't mind paying if the price was lower.

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

with FAFSA, you have to be like poorer than poor to get the government to pay a penny of tuition. If your family makes money, you'll probably get what I got, a small loan from the government that I still have to pay back, interest and all.

The govt should pay for college education, the US is one of the few countries that doesn't. [/b][/quote]
    I have something similar to that here in Canada and every year I get enough money to cover almost everything, but it will be very annoying to pay it all back after I graduate. I was lucky enough to get a good scholarship for my first year but this year I'm not so lucky due to my mediocre grades. So maybe I'm being a bit biased or even selfish, but I am against paying for school. There are all these ridiculously fees anyway that I benefit from in no way. If you decide to drop a class one or two weeks into it, you only get half the cost back. Three weeks and you get a quarter..and so on. Yeah, I just don't like my school.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Umm, yeah? Why the hell wouldn't someone pay for College? If they're poor, they shouldn't be applying to a College unless it's on a Scholarship or something that they excell in.

If they're an average/below average student, and poor, IMO, they should stay far away from College until the get the money.

Yeah. My opinion might be cruel, but atleast I don't suger-coat it like some people.

Hybrid_Bunny

Hybrid_Bunny Super Member LPA Super Member

Would you still think this way if you applied to a school you really wanted to go to but couldn't afford it?

$pvcxGhxztCasey

I assume this is one of those situations where I say 'I don't want to go to College', but you say 'Just technically speaking', right?

If you don't have the money to pay for College, why even apply?

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

In Canada, Health care is paid through the government (through taxes) as a universal service because it is recognized as a basic human right. So is access to primary/secondary education...so why not post-secondary education?

Tuitions for University have risen about 50% in the past 5 years or so...this is not really the governments fault. For one thing, the sharp rise in enrolment requires new facilities and staff. And also universities do it because THEY CAN, and regulation of tuition was largely taken away (in Ontario) during the Conservative governments reign in power (its like our Republicans, but probably closer to the U.S. Democrats).

I think that governments should fund college/university tuition, especially because of the rise in costs that makes it even harder for the poor to get in. And you can still be POOR and not be eligible for a grant... :wth:

I think America should first implement universal medicare system, and also improving its public education system before going this step, but even the Democrats won't even consider this option. Canada has already done this for the most part and should think about lowering tuition or increasing grants to start.

RememberingNever

That's not the point. :wth: You see.. some people want a good life. Some people don't have it as good as others and need to work for the things they want. Working at Wal-Mart isn't enough to support a family. Now in days it's important to go to college.
    Some people want to persue a career. If you want to be a doctor, dentist, ect.. you need to have gone to college.

You see saying "If you don't have the money to pay for College, why even apply?".. well thats only focusing on yourself. And yeah, a lot of people don't want to go to college BUT a lot more do.

Methybrea

Methybrea Well-Known Member

People want to go to college to get an education they can use to have a career. How can we deny someone a career simply because him/her and their parents don't have enough money?

$pvcxGhxztCasey

Maybe it's all the chemicals in my head at the moment, but don't you have to pay for College?

And poor = no $$$

:wth:

RememberingNever

No, I think you're cruel for saying that. I bet if you were poor you sure as hell wouldn't be saying that. It's becasue you have it easy.. thats why you're thing like that. And no, poor doesn't necessarily mean no money... just think lower class.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

No, I think you're cruel for saying that. I bet if you were poor you sure as hell wouldn't be saying that. [/b][/quote]
    On the one hand, I can say you're wrong and I would still think that, but you'd call me a liar.

On the other hand, I could say you're right, and end this whole thing right now.

I'm just not going to say anything and let you have your own opinion about what I would/wouldn't say if I was poor.

Will

Will bread crumbs & white stones LPA Addicted VIP

Here's a shocker:

I agree with Casey.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

omgwotdaphuck

Explain yourself.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

People shouldn't have to pay for college, IMO.