Sellout!

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by adelleda, Nov 23, 2004.

adelleda

adelleda Well-Known Member

I got this quote from Edge.ca under the On going history of New Music and it got me thinking... what is a sellout? Is it simply what the 4 definitions say? By definition 2 and 3 are Linkin Park sellouts? Why can a rapper earn millions but a punk band have to hide their riches? So many questions huh? Has the line between Art and Commerce become that much blurrier in the past year? So... talk about it.

Here are some links about past band that might have "sold out"
    Sellout part 1
    Sellout part 2

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

OH NOES~! :rolleyes:

Vampire

Vampire Banned

It SHOULD only be definition 1 & 4.

Whimsicality

Whimsicality I broke the dam.

Debating weather or not someone "sold out" is useless and silly.

If you agree with definitions three or four, fine, whatever. Just don't shove your beliefs down everyone else's throats. Bands have a right to do whatever they want with their money.

I won't waste space talking about definition two, because this is a Linkin Park message board so I doubt many people feel it's true.

As for definition one, it's quite possibly the stupidest use of the word "sellout," period. Why, you ask? Because how can you honestly know that someone isn't in it for the art anymore? Sure, there are a lot of radio-friendly copycat bands. But that doesn't mean they're in it to get rich quick--more likely they just lack the creativity to come up with their own sound. So unless you're a mind reader, or the artist has come out and said it, throwing around definition one is silly.

Chris Luke

Chris Luke LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

A good example of a sell out for defintion one:
    The Deftones. Mainly Chino. Here's a quote.

Revolver. Unknown Issue.
    1)The Deftones toured with Linkin Park in twice. A lot of people would love to see LP at a concert right.
    2)Chino does remix albums with artist he hates.

A good band for Defeniton Numero Dos.
    Linkin Park.
    I'm not saying they sold out. It's just that their really big. They have fans who listen to everthing All albums(including LIT) have gone atleast gold. Plus LP concert tickets have to be brought right when they are sold.
    Unsure about three and four. Those are my opinons though.

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

My definition of selling out actually follows along the lines of what the first definition is, as well as incorporating some of the fundamentals that definition 2 has. But, it goes far deeper than just that. Those are just the first stages.

Full-blown selling out, in my opinion, is not only when you are in it for the money, or when people start to like you because you're trendy, but also when you start alienating the fans that have been with you since the very beginning, and trading them away for those new fans.

Unfortunately, P.O.D has fallen under that category thanks to that money-whoring bastard they call a manager, Tim Cook.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

yeh LP have been sell outs ever since they got signed to warner. Pretty much sell outs ever since they started making music after hybrid theory EP.

Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

1, 3, and 4 are my definitions for it.

Unfortunately LP falls under all three for me, but I still listen to them, I just really hope they pull something out with their next CD.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

I would have to say definitions 1 & 4.

Kate

Kate beat me senseless LPA Super Member

I think definitions one and four apply. Is it possible for "too many" people to like a band? C'mon! It's music! It's meant to be shared!

And that goes hand in hand with signing with a major label. When you've signed to a major label, you can get your music out to so many more people by putting it on the airwaves, getting it in more stores, etc etc...isn't that what the underground bands are trying to do? Get the word out?

Seriously, I think that's bigotry. Changing your style to get signed by a major label, that's selling out. But signing in and of itself is not.

DTF

DTF Well-Known Member

Chino Moreno is not a definition of a sellout, he's en example of a big mouth drunk. He's just being an ass, all that said, i like him

Phantom Duck

Phantom Duck You are my detonator. LPA Super Member

HATBREED LEFT THE UNDERGROUND! THEY'RE SELL- OUTS! THEY'RE SELL- OUTS! :lol:

For f*ck sake, most bands gotta make some money for a living. Give them any chance to earn some more and they'll grab it, no matter what.
    IMO that means nothing, if they keep making great music.

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Exactly you can't knock them for wanting to make some cash.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Linkin Park have not sold out, despite many people saying they have.

Warner Bros makes alot of money off Linkin Park because they make good music and they have alot of fans. There's a difference between a band allowing themselves to be marketed and being forced to be marketed. Warner Bros forces Linkin Park to water down their lyrics ('Meteora'), and release poppy singles ("Breaking The Habit", "Numb"). I mean, I agree that having six singles from an album is ridiculous (5 videos/1 radio-only), but I wouldn't say that's Linkin Park's fault. It's Warner Bros.

Linkin Park are successful because;

1) They have a huge, dedicated fanbase.
    2) They acknowledge their fans and are dedicated to them.
    3) They write songs that become radio successes. Even if they're not very good songs, the radio stations and TV stations are going to completely overplay them because of their radio-friendliness and fanbase. More fans = more people watching channel/lsiteneing to station.

You don't see them on teenie magazine covers or making appearances on TRL. That shows their dedication to their art, and not hype.

People have said LP sold out on 'Reanimation'. No. In addition to helping out dozens of underground rap artists by getting their names out there, the band put out this experimentation album to tie fans over until the new album was finished, their proper follow-up to 'Hybrid Theory'. With so many artists on this album, and its small success, I'd doubt Linkin Park made very much money at all from this.

The DC shoes have also come under fire. Linkin Park make no money from this, 100% of proceeds go to a Pasadena Art School.

'Collision Course'; not Linkin Park's idea. Jay-Z asked the band to do this with him and with him being an idol to many of the band members, specifically Mike, it was a great experience to take advantage of. The guys didn't visualize an album coming out of this.

Success comes because of the fans. A bands popularity shouldn't determine whether they've sold out or not, it's how they use their power and popularity to their economic advantage that makes certain bands sell-outs. LP are dedicated to their fans, their art, and nothing more. All they care about is giving us something new every once in awhile.

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

I don't mean to start an argument or anything, but my sister buys those teenie magazines and she's always coming through and showing me shit inside them about LP. I even have LP posters on my wall that are out of my sister's magazines :chemist:

Dedicated

Dedicated LPA Addict LPA Addict

Linkin Park have sold out. Blink 182 have sold out. Green Day have sold out...

People always see 'selling out' as a bad thing... Who really cares? They're making music and giving the people what they want... I mean selling out is always shown as a bad thing, but I mean, c'mon... They sign to a big label where they can do what they love doing and can make a hell of a lot of money off it by changing small things like 'watering down lyrics...' Who would turn down millions and millions of dollars/pounds/whatever? If you did you'd be an idiot... So I don't see why people care so much. If I had the chance to 'sell out' then I sure as hell would. :mellow:

EDIT: The one thing that makes being a sell out bad is when a band turns into Metallica... ;)

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

If you were in it for the money (and it looks like you are if you were an artist), then yes. However, there are people out there who are in this just for the music. If I were to be remembered in the music industry, it would be for how creative my music was, not for how much money I made.

Mark

I don't mean to start an argument or anything, but my sister buys those teenie magazines and she's always coming through and showing me shit inside them about LP. I even have LP posters on my wall that are out of my sister's magazines :chemist: [/b][/quote]
    No, I meant; have they ever posed for a teenie magazine? Been interviewed for a teenie magazine? No. Their pictures may be in there without consent (magazines don't need consent), but they didn't do photoshoots or interview sessions with them. That's what I'm talking about. Mike's spoken out against those magazines publicly.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

It seems people think you can only be on one side of the spectrum or the other.

It's possible to make a bucketload of money, while also creating beautiful/awesome/creative pieces of work/music.

Everything isn't that black & white. It is possible to be creative, and also make millions in the process.

Mark

Well said.