Review Minutes To Midnight

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by Luke, May 6, 2007.

mmmmtastycookies

mmmmtastycookies Not black & white, only organized confusion

This cd took a little bit to swallow for me, but after a few listens it comes pretty easily. Leave out all the rest, shadow of the day, and valentines day are definitely the "poppiest" ones on the album but i think lp pulls it off pretty well. my december is one of my all time fav's..and i really think this cd is an expansion off of that kind of style that they have.
    given up is cool. its the "dont stay" minus mr. hahn element plus much more screams from chester...i feel like this one can kinda get old after a few listens though. bleed it out is fun...but unfortunately its kinda short i feel like, and is missing a verse or bridge or somthing in there.
    im really liking hands held high...i kinda wish there was more bass though, i feel like it would make it more agressive, cause the lyrics seem that way. in between's meh for me right now.... in pieces is different, i can sense the whole reggae flow there which is pretty cool, and you can hear hahn!
    little things give you away takes awhile to get going...im not really sure how i feel about the acoustic. i almost wanna skip half the song.

overall its a good cd. i feel drawn to the poppier stuff and no more sorrow basically. favs are: leave out all the rest, shadow of the day, no more sorrow, in pieces. ht>m2m>meteora

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Adding a review to the B-side No Roads Left

No Roads Left:
    All I can do is plead for the answer as to why the hell isn't this on the album. I think it's probably one of the best tracks they've made and certainly a great example of Mike's vocal work, Dare I say better than the vocal work he did on In Between. The absence of Chester on this track is actualy a good thing (Yeah, I never thought I'd say that either), Mike completly steals the show on this track. Everything about this song is perfect, from the cool guitar intro to the oh so catchy chorus that seems to stick in your head and the powerful strings used towards the end. I think the biggest low point of the album for me is the fact that this track didn't make the final cut because it is just an amazing song. Not quite as good as TLTGYA but certainly next in Line. 5/5

MooMoozer

MooMoozer Well-Known Member

I'm not really into any of the songs right now... it just dosnt have that reconizable sound I'm use too. But I think it will grow on me eventually...

I dunno it dosnt seem like there was much from Joe as I remember from their past albums. :\

"/Shawn08\"

"/Shawn08\" Well-Known Member

Alright, I've listened to the leak and just purchased it yesterday so here's my review having listened to this album a number of times over the past two weeks.

Wake: Not bad as far as intro's go. Maybe a bit misleading with the guitars towards the end. I would have liked if it had kind of mixed into given up instead of the pause and then the clapping. However, not bad for an intro.
    3/5
    Given Up: The lyrics are sure straight to the point and the inclusion of a few F-bombs show that they still have enough angst to go around. Chester really shows off his screaming with the 17 second wail towards the end of the song. It's agressive and in your face, but don't expect the rest of the album to be the same.
    4/5
    Leave Out All The Rest: Just one of the many changes in tempo on this album. Going from the punk sound of Given Up straight into a ballad. Certainly going to be a hit should it become a single, because it is very catchy. Radio-friendly or not, this is one of the better ballads on the album.
    5/5
    Bleed It Out: Finally we get to hear Mike rap and get to hear the signature LP sound. Mike's rap is enjoyable enough but the chorus does get a bit repetitive. Nonetheless it's a catchy song that has the old LP sound.
    3.5/5
    Shadow of the Day: Yet another rapid tempo change going from the frantic bleed it out into the ambient/electronic intro of another ballad. I have to say that on the first few listens this track did absolutley nothing for me. It doesn't really have anything that stands out, but after a while i caught myself humming it to myself. It's hard not to listen to this song without thinking of U2
    4/5
    What I've Done: Another song that honestly did nothing for me when it was released, and I actually didn't even care for it until just recently. The halloween-like intro is an interesting feature of this song. Similar to Shadow of the Day, it just doesn't really have anything that stands out except for the intro.
    3.5/5
    Hands Held High: Mike's finally back on this track. The sound basically sounds like something that should have been on The Rising Tied. Putting that aside this track is actually one of the better songs on the album in my opinion. Mike's raps are spot on once again and the "amen" chorus adds a nice touch.
    5/5
    No More Sorrow: Going from the gospel choir like ending of Hands Held High into the Metallica-esque opening of No More Sorrow with the creeping guitar intro and the bomb-like drumming. Possibly the heaviest song LP have ever recorded and displays some more of their politically-inspired lyrics.
    5/5
    Valentine's Day: This is another song that I really actually hated when i first heard it, but after giving it a few listens the song isn't that bad at all. I've seen a number of people give this song the "emo" label, but call what you will, i think it's a good track.
    3.5/5
    In Between: One of the most interesting songs on the album in my opinon. A good number of people haven't been to crazy about this song, but its actually one of my favorite tracks on the album. Mike has a surprisngly good voice, not as good as in No Roads Left However. I think the simplicity of this song is possibly it's strongest feature.
    4.5/5
    In Pieces: Another interesting listen. I'd have to say it's the most unique track on the album because it just blends so many sounds, with the Hip-hop/electronic beat eventually turning into a full on guitar blast and guitar solo to back up chester's excellent vocals on this track.
    5/5
    The Little Things Give You Away: The crowning jewel of this record. The electronic background and the acoustic guitar really compliment each other well. Chester's voice is amazing here, and the lyrics are just as good. The song just builds and builds until the solo we've heard so much about kicks in. It's nothing technically brilliant but it compliments the song well. Nothing bad i can say about this track.
    5/5

(b-side) No Roads Left: This song was a pleasant surprise after searching the web for this track. Another song that is just Mike singing and if you were surprised by his singing on In Between you will be blown away on this track. In my opinion there is no reason why this shouldn't be on the album, it is absolutley amazing.
    5/5

Overall: 4/5

The album as a whole takes a number of listens to be fully appreciated. The sound is so much different and there are so many tempo changes that you just kind of become lost. I think if you listen to this album with an open mind it will be much more enjoyable. I'm all for heavy tracks, but i can also appreciate ballad tracks as well.

The album doesn't seem as complete and tidy as HT and Meteora, but this album is more of a stepping stone into new territory and this album has really broadened the horizons for the next LP album. After hearing mike's singing on No Roads Left, the ability to blend many different sounds on In Pieces, make heavy tracks like No More Sorrow, and craft magnificent 6 minute songs like TLTGYA, Linkin Park have added a whole new dimension to their sound and the possibilities for the next LP album are numerous.

mcpancakes

mcpancakes Well-Known Member

I've never been one for long, in-depth reviews, so I'll just say this:

After owning Minutes to Midnight and giving it 3 or 4 straight run-throughs, if Linkin Park were ever to go back to their nu-metal sound, I would most likely be disappointed. This new sound made me forget completely about their old style and now, when I listen to anything pre-minutes-to-midnight, I'll most likely skip over that track. its pretty amazing, I wasn't expecting this album to have this kind of an effect on me. when mike said that their old sound was easy for them to replicate, as well as other bands to replicate, I really see that now, and their old music almost sounds.....bad? I don't know, I just like their new style a lot more.

Jem

Jem Member

After hearing the album a no. of times, I absolutely love this album (maybe just one song I'm not too fond of yet)... smashing, totally in awe.... but I'm not going to say that the band should move away from their earlier sound. I'm v proud of their earlier albums and hope I can hear a future album reminiscent of the earlier albums

Enjoiske

Enjoiske Well-Known Member

I've liked this album since i heard the 30 second clips. Theres nothing wrong with their change, and being a fan of music in general i could care less if their songs are heavy or not. But it is always nice to have a few tracks that really get you amped though. But hey, it does have some of those. So this album is complete win to me. Id have liked to hear more Joe, not necessarily on the tracks, but they could have given him some shine on a track of his own. He's a really good DJ.

Rather Red

Rather Red Well-Known Member

My track ranking:

1. Given Up: Although it's a simple LP song, the excitement of the Chorus and Chester's vocal performance make it one of my ultimate jam-out songs.
    2. Bleed It Out: The rap is awesome and I've recently been able to overcome the repetitive chorus. The bridge is catchy as well.
    3. What I've Done: All-in-all, a quality song. The video puts vivid emotional images in my head as well.
    4. No Roads Left- Mike on the Pre-Chorus and Chorus is SO AWESOME. Verses get a bit boring with the repetitive guitar though.
    5. The Little Things Give you Away- The lyrics and melody in the beginning is really effective. Drawn-out towards the end though.
    6. Leave Out All the Rest- Really catchy.
    7. No More Sorrow- I like the intro and first verse especially, but the rest isn't that special.
    8. Valentine's Day- The beginning is great, and it builds up well. The end is too repetitive for me though.
    9. In Pieces- Pretty catchy, but they could've added a little more energy.
    10. Hands Held High- Great lyrics, the end is really catchy. Not too much to the song though.
    11. Shadow of the Day- Kinda like the Chorus melody, but pretty boring. the end build up to "What I've Done" is pretty cool though.
    12. In Between- Boring. Can't get into it without really trying.
    13. Wake- Pointless. If it had built up to an epic beginning for a song rather than the quick and soft beginning of "Given Up" it would have at least served a purpose, but it ends up being a distraction.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

Actualy now that I think about it, Wake is a load of crap. It has nothing to do with the album at all.

esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

Yeah. It isn't a bad intro in and of itself, but the quality of an intro is usually based on how well it introduces what comes next.

FiGzZ

FiGzZ Banned

no doubt about it LOL =)

Top2Bottom

Top2Bottom Well-Known Member

unfortunatley I don't have time atm to write an in depth review. But i think this album was more experimental and is a step in the right direction. Sure, they made mistakes, but every successful band has made mistakes and would agree that they would have at least one album they may look back on and wonder what if we did this. I think the next album will be heavier...MTM was crowded with mellow slow stuff...and at stages you just want to cry out for some heavy track to appear. but a skillful and interesting listen all the same