Question Regarding Saving ".php" Extension

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Kæton, Aug 20, 2006.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Ugh, well it seems the more I try to do things with this "fixed" computer, the more problems I find... Anyways, I am a bit confused as to .php extensions.

Before I got my computer "fixed" all I had to do was save a text file with a .php extension and it'd automatically become a .php file; no questions asked. Now, it saves it as a "name.php.htm" extension instead and it's beginning to annoy me as I can't properly work offline with this problem.

I don't know how to fix it... I guess because when I first bought my computer, it had PHP configured properly and since the "fix" it no longer is recognized or something. Is there a way I can change this, or get it so that it'll recognize I want to save a .php extension, not a have ".php" be part of the file name?

Thanks in advanced.

If it's any help, I installed PHP and MySQL (as I remember them being on my computer pre-this horrible "fix"), but it doesn't seem to do anything. I read some stuff that I need to manually configure it but I'm no good at that stuff... It's going/gone over my head.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

You mean from the internet, you saved a .php file? I've never been able to do that, it's always been .php.html, since it's .php isn't a static page (most of the time - eg, this forums) and it requires server input (something like that, don't remember for sure). I don't think it's quite possible. oO

The tech must have uninstalled something you had before?

Kæton

No, not from the web, actually saving code I write from scratch.

This is the first time since getting my computer "fixed" that I'm coding websites again, but I can't save in .php extension. I use notepad to write my coding and it's always worked, but now it doesn't and I don't know how to fix it.

Search engines suck because they cache .php in URLs so I can't find any help online... :lol:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

You should try to use an editing program to save your code, like Dreamweaver. If it's a problem you can't really get around, and that seems like what this is, you could write the code in Notepad, save it as a regular text file, open it in Dreamweaver and save it as a PHP file. It's a crude tactic, and takes a few extra seconds, but it'd work.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Kæton

Thanks Todd, that helped.

However, now Internet Explorer/Firefox won't open the .php files. It acts like it's going to (window goes inactive) but never launches a browser window. This has never happened before.

Err, help? :lol: Thanks in advanced.