PSP vs. DS

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by TeMpEsT, Jul 7, 2004.

Link04

Link04 Ambient

People aren't going to buy the PSP for it's DVD capabilities, because battery life for DVD's averages only about 2.5 hours, not including the external battery pack. The games will be a dead-lock, I think. Sure, Sony's got some great titles under developement, but Nintendo is still the king of handhelds, and with a confirmed new Zelda game on the DS, only to name one titan (I've heard rumor of new Mario, also), I think game libraries will be pretty even. The PSP will have the advantage in appearance (God, that thing is sleek) and graphics. So like I said, it will all come down to the PSP's price, but I'm leaning towards the PSP.

enfestid

enfestid Guest

Don't count on it.

For one, Sony has very few quality development studios that they own compared to Nintendo. Nintendo has a ton of game studios specifically for their handheld devices -- so far Sony has no studio that's working only on the PSP. Nintendo has a huge upper hand in terms of exclusives.

You're also forgetting that the DS (according to what Nintendo has said) automatically has the upperhand in game selection because it can play GBA and GB games... that's hundreds, if not thousands, of games already available.

Handheld studios trust Nintendo more, too. They have an extremely fair royalty plan and their cartridges will not cost as much as the UMD to produce. This means smaller development studios will go to the DS from the start, then maybe go to the PSP, if they want... but I don't see any logical reason for doing that.

EDIT: BTW, not saying your wrong, I just doubt it. I should say that I only argue about things I know about (politics, games, sports and obviously music I like, pretty much), so don't think I'm just going to argue everything everyone says, just giving my 2 cents :lol:

Link04

Link04 Ambient

Don't count on it.

For one, Sony has very few quality development studios that they own compared to Nintendo. Nintendo has a ton of game studios specifically for their handheld devices -- so far Sony has no studio that's working only on the PSP. Nintendo has a huge upper hand in terms of exclusives.

You're also forgetting that the DS (according to what Nintendo has said) automatically has the upperhand in game selection because it can play GBA and GB games... that's hundreds, if not thousands, of games already available.

Handheld studios trust Nintendo more, too. They have an extremely fair royalty plan and their cartridges will not cost as much as the UMD to produce. This means smaller development studios will go to the DS from the start, then maybe go to the PSP, if they want... but I don't see any logical reason for doing that.

EDIT: BTW, not saying your wrong, I just doubt it. I should say that I only argue about things I know about (politics, games, sports and obviously music I like, pretty much), so don't think I'm just going to argue everything everyone says, just giving my 2 cents :lol: [/b][/quote]
    Yep, that's how it shakes down title-wise

Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Banned

The DS looks like a hunk of plastic with two screens. It looks so budget. And i don't think many games will take advantage of the 2 screens. I think its a step in the wrong direction. Wheras the PSP is sticking to basics, it has great gfx, its powerful and looks sleek and sexy. :lol:

enfestid

enfestid Guest

I've heard that the design at E3 may not be the final design, but we don't know for sure. It also looks much better in person, I've been told by people who went to E3. And, so far, the developers who have kits for the DS are actually all going to use the two screens in some form or fashion.

The PSP certainly does have amazing graphics, I won't argue that. The FPS concept game (from Koei or Konami or one of those 'K' developers, I believe) looked particularly amazing. But it's really not head-above-heels above the DS, in terms of graphics. Not to mention it's probably going to cost more, will drain the batteries quickly (since you have to load data from a separate medium, a flash card, which takes up tons of juice), but it certainly looks good.

I'm waiting on more information about the PSP before I make my final decision on what to get, though. If they give me a good price, good games and good battery life then I'll go with them. But for now I'm leaning towards Nintendo.