My review on The Rising Tied

Discussion in 'Side Projects' started by Glenn, Dec 5, 2005.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

well...I haven't been following much with what Fort Minor has been doing, but a few days ago I first heard the album.

1. The album is catchy as hell...the samples and drum beats really drive the tunes.
    2. I hate how Mike Shinoda gets so personal with his lyrics. I don't mind the other rapper's lyrics (what's the other rapper's name?) since they are used in a more general sense and are able to related by many people.
    3. I enjoyed the efforts of the sung parts (who was the singer on those songs?)
    4. I hate Mike Shinoda's lyrics altogether...although some of them are pretty powerful. However, they are still pretty immature and Shinoda pretty much contradicts himself by saying how true the music is and how much effort he put into it and how much the verses genuinely suck.

Overall opinion: Not good. Mike Shinda has failed his audiences with the lyrics; the simplicity and personal level of the lyrics make me cringe.

tremulant

tremulant Well-Known Member

i dont mind about how personal his lyrics are because.. well.. its his album..

but yeah i think he needs to step his game up instead of going the other way to appeal to all the hip hop fans of today..

however... songs like Kenji, Right Now and Red to Black i think are lyrically strong

NickelNine

NickelNine It's the gin talking >>>>> LPA VIP

I agree with most of this but I would say that we do have to realize that this is a major label hip-hop album so the lyrics have to be watered down for a mainstream audience. We all want the raw shit but most of Mike's verses are processed and I think it's because he looked over every verse so much that he naturally and unintentionally made them weak by changing the words thus, making it have nothing to do with the album being a big label release. Sure we all have our own expectations and standards for what we want from Mike but Styles of Beyond is 100 levels above him lyrically. Don't get me wrong, Mike's production is amazing and incredible but lyrically he's way below what he's capable of doing. How Black Thought was put last on Right Now is beyond me. Black Thought rips. I don't know, maybe it's my mood, maybe it's not. I just think Mike's lyrics, as a whole, should have been stepped up and made for a non-mainstream audience. But in the end, this is his album and he made it his way. No one elses.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'll go in order, just like you did.

1. Yes, the album was as catchy as hell. The beats and samples are ace.

2. Don't be so quick on that. Would you want Mike to be rapping about bedding girls and dissing other rappers? Probably not.

3. The sung parts are amazing. Holly Brook was definitely a highlight.

4. So what you're basically saying is that he put no effort into music, even though he put a shitload. As NickelNine said, he had to water 'em down a little for the mainstream crowd. Evidently, not many people like raw raps because they're so used to typical mainstream.. Fortunately, rappers like Ryu and Tak cover for that on the album. Their raps are not so watered down. His lyrics on Kenji are the most powerful lyrics on the album. Plus, you can't expect Mike to go all out on lyrics. The guy put more into the album then just lyrics. All the beats are him. Him and his effort. If the lyrics are watered down, so what?

He didn't fail his audiences. You are not his audiences. You are part of his audiences. You are one of many. Many people, including me, greatly enjoyed this album. You're not speaking for all of us.

And as for immature? You haven't seen immature.

NickelNine

I though I'd add, because I forgot to put it in my post, I enjoy the album a lot. I can listen to it from start to end. There aren't many albums I can do that to. I was just being overly critical of his lyrics.

tremulant

hmm i didnt like her part in the song.. i dunno why.. i think John Legend had the best singing part in the album..

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

Then I guess 'Bitches Nines and Bling' apply to a wider crowd, and are therefore better than meaningful lyrics that tell a story...

Louis

Kenna and Jonah on 'Red to Black' were definitely the best. Holly Brook comes close. John Legend, he was pretty good too. But it reminds me of Maroon 5 for some reason. :hmm:

tremulant

lol maroon 5?
    interesting... hehehehehe

NickelNine

I don't think he said that or implied it.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I like this album because its much different to any other hip hop record I've ever heard. Mike has completly established a new style of rap music IMO.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

2. Of course I don't want him talking about bedding girls and what not. I just want them to be less personal and more complex. I believe some of the other rappers demonstrated this very well, by describing very general feelings while maintaining the integrity of the rap.

4. I still maintain the opinion that his rhymes were immature. I guess I'm just pissed that he watered the lyrics down...I want him to launch his full potential again (Xero anyone??)
    I understand that Mike put in a lot of effort into the album...but the lyrics don't show it.

Haha...yeah you're right about Shinda not failing the audiences. I suppose I was talking about myself and to those who share my opinion (if there are any)....I'm just upset with this effort.

Linkin_JZ_Park 03.L¶.03

Linkin_JZ_Park 03.L¶.03 Banned

dude....

i love you! lol!

no rlly i couldnt of said it better myself!

well done. and i was actually pretty happy with the album, songs like: right now, slip out the back, are amazing lyrically

but the best song lyrically is: the hard way! i cant believe how right mike is on that song, like it fits with my life so perfectly i love it! my fav song....

linkin park 101

linkin park 101 Shhh! If You're Quiet I'll Show You A Dinosaur

I liked the way as mike put it used words and meanings over first grade level

Mitch

Mitch YTB

Great album, im not into hip-hop but i like it. I do have to complain on a few things, Cigarettes and the battle probably wernt very good songs, like on cigarettes, its got practically no beat.

lpjordy

lpjordy Well-Known Member

I've been saying the same thing since I first heard Petrified.

Louis

Well, that's just one song. Since you heard one song, you're judging that Mike's lyrics are immature?

越南

越南 Well-Known Member

Loved the beats , but some lyrics i dont agree with. Is it just me or does he use the words ' feel so alone ' too many times?
    Putting that aside , i enjoyed the album. Its probably one of the most original hip hop albums out there today.

iamnumb23

iamnumb23 Active Member

Its a great album, and i agree, the other emcees aren't heard much, except in the remember the name music vid; then you see the other guys. But I hate his lyrics; they haven't impressed me, though Kenji had some strong value to it, it really explained about Pearl Harbor, and the story of "Mike's" family's struggle. Though I can hardly believe that that might actually be Mike's family, it's probably a family on "google.com" :lol: no really, I would probably give the album a crisp 3.5 out of 5

(Have I said too much?)

lpjordy

lpjordy Well-Known Member

When I heard Petrified, I thought wow, Mike can do so much better. After buying the cd and listening to it, I think I have enough material to make an opinion.