More Impt: Tell us what you think

Discussion in 'Feedback & FAQ' started by Omar, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris.

Chris. LPA Super Member Über Member

Well, if it makes you feel better you can say it on here...

You'll just get an infraction for it. :lol:

2. Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

That just means you're insensitive to the word. Others aren't.

The fact of the matter is that insulting something as "gay" or "retarded" is an immature way of going about describing something. Do you realize how many perfectly good topics can be ruined by such immaturity? If somebody makes a Limp Bizkit thread in Other Music and somebody comes in and says "Limp Bizkit is so gay", not only does that person look like an idiot, but it incites a lot of backlash and ruins a fine topic.

I've not yet been on a forum that allows the usage of these words in a derogatory sense. And if they did, I wouldn't dare want to be associated with other posters who stoop to such immature tactics to insult something.

As I've said, that is one rule we will not be revising, for if we did the collective intelligence and integrity of the forums would be greatly harmed.

3. El Muerto

El Muerto LPA Super Member LPA Super Member

That's so not true.
    Words change their meaning in time and THAT is fact. Gay used to mean happy and now it usually means stupid. And probably no one even thinks of homosexuals anymore when saying that word. If I wanted to insult one, I'd certainly use a much stronger word than gay.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  4. Viper62

Viper62 Well-Known Member

this discussion started because of calling a clip gay, not a person

5. Seinfeld

Seinfeld We are the nobodies LPA Super Member

Wrong.

The immediate association of gay is homosexual

...Even here in germany. (Yes, we use the actual word gay...)

6. Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Mark is right guys. All of the staff are right. Stop trying to prove some point about how the word gay doesn't mean homosexual or that it doesn't insult people. Just get over it. Expand your vocabulary. It's not that hard to say something besides retarded or gay.

It just seems ridiculous that you're fighting it out, and saying that gay or retarded means stupid. If you mean stupid, say stupid. Don't say something that can offend people. Just suck it up and stop whining about the rules.

7. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Thank your Arlene. While I am aware this thread was opened as a way for our members to provide their input about the way the site is run, we will never (under any circumstances) be open to the usage of the words 'gay' or 'retarded' as they are intolerant words and thus not welcome on these forums.

Now please, let's drop this subject because this is one thing that will NOT be changing on these boards.

8. Mark

Exact same thing, regardless of the subject.

Are we going to continue to go around in circles or are you going to drop this? That rule is going nowhere, and quite frankly your argument stinks.

9. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

You could've said that in a nicer way. Much nicer actually.

10. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Man that topic ended abruptly.

*cricket chirps*

So...anybody here like movies?

EDIT: Here's what I think, actually. I say we just put an end to all of our issues and make a movie together.

11. Seinfeld

I think that's gonna die...just like the idea of the LPA youtube channel :lol:

12. Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Well, I don't know about the movie dying.

Maybe someone will die during filming, but I've got no guarantees. :lol:

13. Mark

And Facebook group.

And Last.fm channel.

And that program that counts how many keys you've clicked (started by Tomi).

And Limerick society. (Whyyyyyy?????)

14. Seinfeld

Limerick society!?

THAT EXISTED AND IT DIED!?....

what a shame... :(

15. Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Don't forget that myspace. :lol:

16. Cale.

Cale. Banned

17. Viper62

Viper62 Well-Known Member

haha I never even started the discussion, just cooperated like a lot of others.

but hey, Im fine with the way you ask for impt and how you react on it

18. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Viper, giving input and asking us to delete a rule that is there to prohibit the use of offensive, racist, homophobic or disrespectful comments is not the same thing. Mark is acting the way he is because you (and other's) suggestion of changing that rule is downright ludicrous.

There is absolutely NO reason why you should need to use the words gay or retarded to mean stupid or lame. Broaden your vocabulary like Arlene said, instead of criticizing us for your own verbal shortcomings.

And for the record, we have already listened to input here and made changes to the way the website works and people seem to be much happier now. We will however never change that particular rule (it's not even allowed on the badly run LPMB), and thus your constant attempts to make us change it or look bad for not changing it in the process are a waste of time.

19. esaul17

esaul17 antichrist

I never really understood the offense from the word "retarded" myself. I mean, it in general means to slow down or leave underdeveloped. This applies to, in my opinion, people and things. If I said "Christianity is retarded", I think it fully displayed my opinion that it is an underdeveloped and reprehensible system of beliefs. Is it the most intelligent way I could have said it? No, it is not. And I never really use that word anyway, so I don't care much about it's implementation. However, I just don't see why it is offensive. Gay is obviously able to cause offense, because you are using the word meaning "homosexual" to mean "stupid" or something similar. However, with "retard" you are using the word meaning "slow/underdeveloped" to in most cases meaning something at least very similar to "slow/undeveloped".

It is really no different from "stupid" as far as I am concerned. People in general do not choose to be stupid, have low IQs, etc. But if you call a band stupid it doesn't offend stupid people (or at least it shouldn't, but if they are REALLY stupid I guess it might because stupid people do tend to do stupid things :p). Because you are using the word "stupid" in it's correct sense (as you are the word "retarded") not twisting it to add negative connotations that are otherwise not present (like you do with the word "gay").

Just saying "there are better ways to say this" is not adequate, as that is subjective and could be used against any word. You ban the word "big" saying "large" is more intelligent and that you won't unban "big" to make up for other's verbal shortcomings.

I mean, this is your forum so you could insist we all had to type using 5 lettered words every day, except on Tuesdays in which 3 or 5 lettered words are allowed and we could just suck it up or leave. I am just somewhat concerned at your fundamentalist stance on the issue and how closed to reasoning with you are. I think it is a dangerous mindset to have and, even though I could care less about the use of this word, I do dislike the reasoning (or lack thereof) behind it's banning. For, if I just ignore this sort of authoritarian method of ruling the forums until it comes to a rule or issue I care about, it would likely be too late and anyone who would support me would already have given up.

Of course, you have the right to moderate this forum in a totalitarian sense, or any other sense that pleases you, but I don't think that is your wish so I felt you might be interested to know that that is what you are doing when you say "We are right, your stance is ridiculous, there is no point discussing this, you shouldn't want to do that anyway".

And to Chris:

I missed your reply a while back to the family thing. If the LPA is a family then I think it demerits the meaning of "family" a lot. "Families" as I see them don't disown one of their members because they said the word "gay" three times in a derogatory sense, or because they thought Chester was hot and vocalized this. You may feel you have formed a family with some of the members here, and that is understandable, but to say the LPA on the whole is a big family seems to be stretching and devaluing what is means to be family.

I mean, I am not going to stop talking to my mother because she said a short pair of pants were gay.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2008
  20. Chris

Chris LPA Addict LPA Addict

Mark has no right to act they way he does. 3 other members replied to me with a nice reply explaining what they thought. Mark just shot me down, same as you did. 2 words, anger management.

But hey, I've got nothing to say because its your site and you can do whatever you want with it right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.