MC Akira

Discussion in 'Linkin Park Chat' started by htep.fan, Aug 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

I found in a LP fansite in Spanish (I don't link it cause I don't know if you'll understand it) that had some facts about LP. I found something I didn't know, that Mike's MC name is Akira (remember High Voltage?)
    First of all, if it isn't true, correct me, but if it's true, wouldn't it be cool if Mike readopted his old name?I think he should. :mike:

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Wonder where this name comes from?

bboyzap

bboyzap Well-Known Member

should use that name! it's a real "street" name.

off topic:

who thinks lp should do more hip-hop tracks.

htep.fan

Aren't you forgetting Mike Kenji Shinodais part Japanese?! :wth:

Akira (アキラ) is a manga and 1988 anime movie by Katsuhiro Otomo, generally considered a classic of both genres.
    The setting is that of Neo-Tokyo, a Tokyo rebuilt (over what is today Tokyo Bay) after World War III destroyed it. As it turns out, World War III was really started by the uncontrolled growth of the superhuman powers of a child named Akira, who was enrolled in a secret government research program. In the story's current time, 40 years after WWIII, a gang of young bikers led by the cocky Kaneda is involved in a fight with a rival gang when the gang's youngest member, Tetsuo, collides with a mysterious child on the highway. This child has escaped from the government psychic research program. Tetsuo finds and eats a pill (dropped by the child in the collision) which awakens Tetsuo's own latent powers, with disastrous consequences both on the personal level, as old interpersonal conflicts with his friends resurface, and on the larger level, as Neo-Tokyo is threatened by another Akira incident.

Akira, like Otomo's other work (such as Domu, A Child's Dream), revolves around the basic idea of humans with superhuman powers, in particular psychokinetic abilities, but much of the story does not focus on these abilities themselves, but rather the people involved, social issues and politics. The social commentary is not particularly deep or philosophical, but rather a wry look at youth alienation, government corruption and inefficiency, and a military grounded in old-fashioned Japanese honor, displeased with the compromises of modern society. As with most science fiction, the issues in the future world are clearly treatments of contemporary social issues.

This classic movie led the way for the growing popularity of anime, and according to many people caused anime to become quite popular in western Europe in the mid-1990s. In North America, Akira was the beginning of the current wave of anime fandom and served as inspiration to the Wachowski brothers' The Matrix trilogy of motion pictures.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I wouldn't believe that unless it was from Mike's mouth.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

yeh i think they should.

But they should keep them on the low and not release them on albums so it would sound more underground.

Imean look at High voltage and Step up compared 2 Nobodys listenin'....HV and SU are leagues ahead.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Ok, gotta stop you there. It never says he ate a pill. His powers awakened because he came on contact with the Subject kid and the government scientists performed tests on him that sped up the powers.

On topic: I think Mike would use MC Akira because he's said before that Akira is his favorite movie.

htep.fan

Well that's what appeared when I wrote "define akira" in Google, sorry if it was wrong.

Well, here's the website, try and read it, but what it says about Mike's MC name does a lot of sense

Click to see where I got this info.

The Doctor

The Doctor I wear a fez now. Fez's are cool. LPA Super Member

Because you know you can trust a fan-made Geocities site. :rolleyes:

htep.fan

I am not saying that it's true, but that makes a lot of sense if it were.
    Look at the end of High Voltage (original): "This production has been brought to you by Akira, Mr Hahn, and Hybrid Theory".I kept asking myself "who's Akira?"I thought it was someone or something that helped record the EP, but then I asked myself "why do they name him next to Mr. Hahn?and why I haven't heard or read the word Akira in anything that has to do with LP?If my theory were true, the explanation would be that when they signed with Warner, Don Gilmore would have had Mike's MC name forgotten, so it could be true!...But then again, I am ignored... :(

[listens to faint]

Justin V.

Justin V. Professional Lurker

Yeah no Pill was involved. You gotta get the story straight. The plot goes way deeper than most people who've seen it realize (like the creation of the universe and whatnot).

Akira is THE anime movie to see. Probably helped them in thinking up BTH.

I've heard from various sites that Akira was his alias but I doubt he really uses it now. It probably was more of a Xero/Hyrid Theory thing. It'd be cool if he used that moniker if he did a solo album.

htep.fan

Well maybe there wasn't pill involved in the movie, but maybe it was in the manga comic book, and if there's not, that's the dictionary's fault, I haven't seen Akira, and I think the whole Dragon Ball series (DB, DBZ, and DBGT) is the best anime I've seen, it's the sh#t in my country.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Mike has said that Akira is his favorite anime movie, so it makes sense.

Anyway, this thread is pointless. Who cares what he calls himself?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.