Linux netbooks

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by palingenesis, Nov 1, 2008.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of these? Despite the fact they run Linux, they are actually pretty easy to use. I currently use the Acer Aspire one for school and browsing the web. The main comments I get from people is "Wow, that is really small."

Please note that you can run Windows and in some cases, OSX on these computers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834115496

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I've played with one of these before. The custom linux distribution it uses is total crap. My iPhone has more functionality, seriously.

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

i have put ubuntu on it. the linux it comes with is meant out of the box use and and easy navigation. if you really wanted it to do more, then you can. complicated OSes don't sell computers.

Joeykat

Joeykat Forever watching...

I wanted of the linux netbooks but in the end I settled for the little advent one which has XP on it, mainly for college pruposes because we use windows software for our programming. Though I'm letting dad have full control of my PC and he is happily going to make it a full ubuntu box because I miss Linux so much. And later on I am going to buy a linux netbook for my dad and myself because we both love it. Yes the Lite system made me go o_O at first but after playing around with it in the shops I loved it in the end.

And I was so happy when I saw all the little kids pointing out the linux netbooks to their parents and throwing a tantrum when the parent bought a Windows one instead xD

Those who knew me when I was more active on here will know that I had a dual boot laptop... But I kinda ended that when a seagull flew into my window and I had a glass of coke in my hand and well we all know where this is going to go... Yup laptop died and all that works is the battery light >_<

So yes although I have a windows laptop it is only for college purposes due to the software they use. I run openoffice and use firefox VLC for media purposes and this laptop is the ONLY windows machine out of 4 so go figure... The choices of Linux laptops have grown so I'm going to have to do some more research and try before I buy (Lecturer is bringing in his linux laptop for us to try out this week)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2008
    Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I don't have one but if I did I'd probably put a differet distribution of Linux on it. The only place I ever use windows now is at the library and believe me I have tried to persuade the libraians to install linux or at least a daul boot.