Linkin Park Demand Release From Warner Bros

Discussion in 'News' started by Mark, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

They should sign with Interscope.

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

This is blowing my mind...I've always wanted LP to break away from Warner Brother Records...but I never actaully expected them to do it!!!
    I hope it turns out for the best.......music wise of course

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

I have been waiting so long for this day to happen. Good luck with the legal battle, Linkin Park! :D

Mushroom Cloud

Mushroom Cloud Well-Known Member

Well, Warner does hold a contract......It's really down to whether LP can buy out that contract...Even then, would Warner still wanna give up a power house like LP?

sickcycle

sickcycle Well-Known Member

Good for LP, its about the music not the money. Hopefully WB wont give them to long of a battle, but they probobly will due to the fact that they are their biggest band.

JohnnyB

JohnnyB Well-Known Member

Yeah, for once Linkin Park's awesome ability as a band may be their downfall. God I hope they win. At any rate, it's gonna be a long wait as these type of things tend to take forever, this case in particular. Im betting warner is gonna sink their claws in and not let go. Unfortunately, (not to be a downer) I don't think there's an offer that LP can make to change the minds of warner. Oh well, don't give up LP!

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

Ive always wanted them to part with WB. So im happy that it might actually happen now. but, what is gonna happen to machine shop records? The first major release from MSR will be The Rising Tied, id hate to see a late summer release turn into an early 2006 release because of this. This is bad for both linkin park and Fort minor in some way.

lp_sk8ergurl

lp_sk8ergurl Well-Known Member

Good luck Linkin Park with finding a new record Label.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Preach it, brotha.

densvensk

densvensk Active Member

I'm wondering how easily LP will be able to get out of that contract...just because they say they want out doesn't mean they'll get it...the timing of this just all sucks. If this IPO could have been held off until LP had pretty much finished the next album, they could use that as leverage and be able to release it however they wanted. Unfortunately it looks like we won't have anything new from them for a looong time :(

Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

I can see Linkin Park starting their own independant label. I really hope they are able to get out of this Warner contract without much turbulence. It sucks that we may have to wait for LP's new album.. but I know it will be worth the wait.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Well, best case scenario, LP will pay a cash settlement to Warner (and who knows how large that could be), and Machine Shop will be expanded into a full label, much like Atlantic Records' Lava Records Imprint in 2002. In that case though, the two labels still shared sales and staff, etc.

Worst case...

CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

This has it's upsides and downsides. Upside could include that Linkin Park will hopefully be moving forward to another more supportive label who is willing to endorse their music and get it out to the public more variously. The downside, though, would probably mean that "The Rising Tied" and their junior album will be delayed due to no label backup. But if anything, I hope they do not agree to sign with Interscope. If there's any label owner I despise, it's probably Jimmy Iovine.

Li

Li Well-Known Member

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I personally doubt LP will be able to afford a settlement which would be larger than the amount of cash WB are already pulling in for the band. It would have to be a really big figure.

Although, if LP went independant, there's no doubt in my mind that they would make every penny back that they payed out to break from the contract. They're big enough now to be recognised despite what label they're on, they hardly need any promotion at all. If LP is releasing an album, people would know about it.

It's kind of bad news for any LP fan at the moment though. With a 4 album deal still left, then there's no telling when the contact can end, the shortest term they could do to use up the deal would be to release; Fort Minor, a Gretest Hits, a DVD & the only other possibility, a new album. If LP refuse though, it could be a long wait.

USAF.07

USAF.07 Well-Known Member

Good job Linkin Park for standing for your beliefs and convictions. Although short term this could effect both plans for an 06' release and the summer release by Fort Minor this will be in thier best interest in the long term and I'm sure their fans will support them in this fight.

With that being said is it just me or has the music industry/RIAA been so damn greedy lately? The downloading lawsuits aren't decreasing (I think they just hit 10,000 total now) and the labels keep complaining about sales but by making moves like this that only stand to benefit company leadership and not the label workers or bands they wonder why people hate these labels so much. Hopefully Linkin Park sets a precedent for standing up to the labels, best of luck in all their efforts, it better for them and the music industry as a whole in the long term.

RX8LP

RX8LP Well-Known Member

according to that article.....linkin park are as greedy as WB lol :lol:

CloserToCrawling

CloserToCrawling Ambient

Seeing that article scares me. The fact that they might release their music through the internet seems totally unstabilized. It would be an efficient way to let the public know about new material, but personally, I would like to be able to go to the store and physically pick up the new music or DVD or whatever, in my hand. Looks like a dead end. ;)

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Exactly.

Paul

Paul The Ultimate Victory LPA Super Member

This will probably also effect Styles Of Beyond's new album due out in March '06.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.