Linkin Park - 'Battle Symphony' Full Song Leaked Online

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Iopia

Iopia Well-Known Member

I wish I could agree, it's the only lengthier LP song that I don't absolutely adore. The intro and outro are amazing, the soft breakdown in the middle is amazing, the heavy breakdown around around the 4 minute mark is amazing, but it's one of the few LP songs where I hate the chorus, and the riff just isn't good IMO.

I love how unique the song is, but I just can't get into it as much as other songs.

2. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Am I the only one who likes Chester's vocal take on Battle Symphony?

Halfway Dwight likes this.
  3. Hybrid

Hybrid Has gone Rogue. LPA Team

I thought it was good.

wattmatters likes this.
  4. Eric James Aguigam

Eric James Aguigam Well-Known Member

I absolutely loved it. I'm very impressed.

wattmatters likes this.
  5. wattmatters

wattmatters Well-Known Member

Soothing.
    Its Something I like to hear at night besides Shadow of the Day and Roads Untravelled.

Meteorain likes this.
  6. Stonecold

Stonecold Your Portal To Everything Cool!

oh no you're not that stupid, take it easy dude, don't be so hard on yourself!!

7. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

THIS! FUCKING! MUCH!

Hybrid and brady like this.
  8. Nimz Lp

Nimz Lp niimz94

I agree with you Sir.

Michele and Hybrid like this.
  9. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

I think this is the one bit of the song that many agree on. Chester's vocals are really good in this.

wattmatters likes this.
  10. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

Yeah that's how I feel about it lol. Like even if it was 3 in a row, I'd understand more, or if somebody was frequently guilty of 2+ in a row. But I guess it is what it is. Good point too about when using your phone, that it's not easy and it adds to the annoyance meter.

I would love it too. Two birds one stone, as I see Linkin Park every chance I get, and Twenty One Pilots is on my list of who I haven't seen and want to.

I don't care enough to actually be hostile, but fair enough, I sounded that way. And that's because, as I've seen you call the songs "jingles" a few times now, and seen other borderline inflammatory comments towards the band, it came off as saying it a bit disrespectfully towards the band and their work. If I agreed it was deserved, I wouldn't say anything. I speak up when I feel it isn't deserved. Not you, nor I, nor anybody here know what kind of work or effort the band puts into any given song, yet I hear (granted this much isn't from you) that songs are lazy, uninspired, could be written in their sleep, etc. How do we know that? Does anybody here personally know band members and talk to them like friends? I'd bet no. And for all we know maybe they don't tell their friends things like that either.

Calling them jingles to me, at least for a minute, felt like you were taking subtle jabs at the amount of effort they put into them. Jingles, from the way I saw them as pointed out in my last post, with examples given, are specifically quick little snippets, with barely any instrumentation, and not just repeated lyrics but a small amount of them, with usually absolutely zero depth. You can argue there's not enough depth to Heavy and Battle Symphony for your liking, but I'm not seeing how they can be put on the same level as jingles.

You can assume what my priorities are though, and that I don't know what cookie-cutter means. That's cool. I used it in a different context, saying that you didn't distinguish your opinion of Heavy from your opinion of Battle Symphony. You've called both "cookie-cutter pop jingles". I think you kind of answered your own question though about what makes these two songs different or original from the rest of Linkin Park's material. They've polarized the fanbase pretty hard with these two releases, especially with Heavy. Sure, that's happened before, but not often on this level.

You're being too literal with the definition of "jingle" you're providing. "Short verse or song marked by catchy repetition"...ok, sure, it doesn't actually say in writing how long via how many seconds constitutes a jingle, but show of hands how many would think that's implied. Why would they put a detail like length into a dictionary definition? There is no hard number, and I think you know that too. But writing in short and even adding "verse" or song, should be somewhat telling; that some jingles are merely a verse. How many songs are just a verse? What structure does Heavy or Battle Symphony follow that doesn't constitute a song over a jingle? That doesn't follow the structure of most other LP songs in their history? Verse 1, chorus, verse 2 (different from verse 1, so we still haven't seen repetition), chorus (first repetition), bridge, chorus (2nd repetition), possibly 3rd repeat of chorus, end of song. A lot of Linkin Park songs also have very catchy choruses.

I'll give you that Heavy follows this a little bit less than Battle Symphony, because in Heavy the bridge is lyrics we'd heard previously in the song, just with an altered delivery. But I don't think that changes Heavy from song to jingle.

So by your definition, based on repetition and catchiness, most of Linkin Park's discography are jingles. And seeing how lately there's been lots of talk that even songs like In the End, once considered anything but pop, are now considered pop... then most of Linkin Park's discography are pop jingles. Right?

Faint (oh look, another catchy chorus!) is shorter than Heavy, it's 2:42. That's still a song, and not a jingle, isn't it? I'm not sitting here saying there's a hard line on what a song is or isn't labeled as based on how long it is.

You kind of just compared an entire song's lyrics (Battle Symphony) to mere snippets from other songs. A lot of lyrics, from a lot of songs, from a lot of bands, can seem silly if you single them out like that and rip them out of context from their full songs. I don't see an instance you mentioned where, to each respective song, those lyrics don't fit or make sense, or aren't good/fine.

You missed "Building it up / to break it back down / we're building it up, to burn it down / Can't wait to burn it to the ground" though. Not many around here miss a chance to mention that one. :halfkappa:

(First time using that emoticon. Did I do it right?)

I can't rank, or give scores, I suck at it, but...

Better of the album : A Line in the Sand, All for Nothing, Until it's Gone, Keys to the Kingdom, Final Masquerade, Rebellion
    Not as good of the album : Guilty All the Same, War, Wastelands (though I like the verses a lot)
    Somewhere in between : Mark the Graves, The Summoning*, Drawbar

That being said, I genuinely don't think there's a bad song on the album.

Dude I'm pretty sure everybody here likes it lol. I've only seen positive comments about his vocals on this.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
    wattmatters likes this.
  11. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

I made a wrestling music video to A Line in the Sand. The breaks in the song worked well for my cuts.

12. brady

brady I am the LPA LPA Super Member

:sheldon:

Stonecold likes this.
  13. Blackee Dammet

Blackee Dammet Feminism Is My God Now

Hence why I said "elaborate?", since barring long operas and things like that I've never seen any music described as 'not fun to listen to' as anything but a disparagement to the overall content.

14. Meteorain

Meteorain Well-Known Member

I would think Blake just meant that while they can see Radiohead has talent and/or is good at what they do, for him/her personally it's not fun to listen to.

I for one can see talent in Justin Bieber and the Sheepdogs, and can see why others like them, but I don't enjoy or want to listen to the music that ends up on their albums.

Iopia likes this.
  15. Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

Song kind of sounds like The Shins during the verses.

16. JonasTheRoman

JonasTheRoman Well-Known Member

Isn't it ironic that, over all this talking lately that the new songs sound shitty like *insert some popular artist here*, I actually listened to Twenty One Pilots (which were one of those artists mentioned) and... was completely blown away?
    I mean, I enjoyed every single song so far, and Guns For Hands just now brought the tears into my eyes, literally.

I cannot judge Battle Symphony, because I don't want to listen to any more songs of the album from now on, but if I'm comparing TOP's songs to Heavy, they are just sooo much better.
    TOP is, like, massively popular, but at the same time they really sound unique, and so diverse!
    I think that's the kind of spice Heavy as a pop song seems to lack, unfortunately. And - judging from the comments - Battly Symphony might, too. :/

17. Sonic

Sonic Searching for the last Chaos Emerald... LPA Super Member

What?

18. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I personally dislike Radiohead

19. Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

Definitely check them out, great band

brady and JonasTheRoman like this.
  20. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member