Lag

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by mathew51b, Jun 25, 2006.

mathew51b

mathew51b Well-Known Member

I tried to play Counter Strike the other day, but it lagged extremely bad. I have a computer than can easily play the game, and I have broadband.
    The only few problems I can see, are that I'm on a wireless internet connection (although on the computer I use to play the game I'm not) and that I'm using AOL, but before the wireless router I didn't have these problems with other games. Any ideas on how to prevent it?

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Wireless is your problem. Make sure you're on a wired connection.

Normally, I'd blame AOL, but I know it's the wireless, from experience. ;)

mathew51b

Well see the computer im using isn't wireless...it is connected through the ethernet to the modem, and yet Americas Army runs ok on my wireless laptop, this is what is so confusing.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

This is where I blame AOL. :lol:

Port forwarding?

mathew51b

It could be I guess...I'll wait till I move house, we might *crosses fingers* be changinig ISP.

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Are you still experiencing the problem? It could be something as simple as connecting to slow servers. I know that used to happen to me all the time playing NASCAR Racing 2003 Season.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

I don't think it's wireless . If you have anyone in your house using any upload (ie: bittorrent, p2p) or anyone using a hefty amount of bandwidth that could be the case. In CS, type in the console 'net_graph 1' and that will show you your latency in a graph and your fps and such. If when the lag happens your FPS drops but the graphs remain in a straight line, your computer is being a problem. If the graphs jump all over, your connection is messed up. I usually sort servers due to ping and join the lowest one. Let me know if you still need help

mathew51b

Thanks Neil, Its not the bandwidth or p2p stuff because I am the only person who uses the laptop, so when I use the PC noone else is on the connection.
    I had thought about the p2p, as when I used uTorrent once or twice it killed my internet speed.
    I will check again...It might have just been a bad few times, as it ran Half Life 2 Deathmatch ok the other day. I'll try and get on it as soon as possible and let you know...but that might not be very soon...