June 18, 2017 - Clisson, France | Hellfest 2017

Discussion in 'News' started by Filip, Jun 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blake

Blake Leave a Trace LPA Super Member

I just hope Linkin Park doesn't play hellfest again. They don't belong there. Even before OML they didn't belong there in my opinion. It's also not fun hearing about the band getting boos. No one deserves this. But there is a way to avoid that, don't play where your not welcome or make a heavier set for this one show.

The Joesen One and dontFindOutMe like this.
  2. Atticus

Atticus Bullets lance the bravest lungs

This thread:
    [​IMG]

But honestly, it blows my fucking mind this band chose not to play A Place For My Head at Hellfest.

3. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Next time they better let Brad do all the promos, it will be better for sure :lol:

4. TobinKnowsBest

TobinKnowsBest 20.03.1976 - 20.07.2017 LPA VIP

I wish I had a different favourite band sometimes :lol:

5. Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

Oh you have no idea how this feels lol

6. Blake

You can join me in the Blink-182 family. We are always accepting new applications for Blink being the best band unless you actually like California, then you have only a 1% acceptance rate.

7. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Damn, what's been going on here since I took a vacation?

Modern Guitar God and Sasuke like this.
  8. Blake

Well the website was actually pretty calm until this thread. Which was bound to happen since a band supporting a Pop album is playing at a metal festival.

brady and Deliveranze like this.
  9. Sasuke

Sasuke Modern Prog enjoyer LPA Super Member

Dude, you've missed a lot :kappa:

10. Virgocore

Virgocore Well-Known Member

Linkin Park hasn't been my favorite band since like the end of 2008 when Minutes To Midnight ended. Didn't like any of their music after that album and I started exploring tons of other bands and artists. At some point last year, I decided to see what Linkin Park was up to again. And I remembered this site, so I would occasionally check back for news, then I decided to make an account this year because I remember it being fun like ten years ago or more. The community on this site is pretty solid for a forum, I like it a lot, lots of cool people, and I've seen some people who barely listen to Linkin Park anymore like myself but still post here. I've checked out all of the Linkin Park music since Minutes To Midnight, maybe someday there will be something that I love again. But even though Linkin Park isn't my favorite band, I still like Linkin Park fans as a whole. I think they're good people compared to a lot of other fanbases out there. Don't let the people who bash the band or say stupid things get you down. Trust me, every big band and artist have fans like that. I understand the frustration though. Like I said, I haven't like anything since Minutes but I try to say actual reasons as to why I don't like it and I try not to be disrespectful or ignorant about it.

I mean..... Linkin Park never really belonged at a festival like Hellfest, IMO. Even their heaviest albums like Meteora and The Hunting Party are way too ''soft'' of albums for that type of crowd. It's pretty outrageous to expect the band to change their entire set for this show, though. They aren't going to play only their heaviest songs. Like I've said before, if it were up to me, I'd have them play Hybrid Theory and Meteora with a little bit of Minutes To Midnight thrown in, but the reality is that it's 2017 and the band has had tons of albums and releases since Minutes, and a good majority of the fans want to hear that stuff. I also can't fault the band for wanting to play their new music as well. Sure, it's awkward for Linkin Park to play something like Hellfest, but it probably would have always been for them, as the type of music that is projected at Hellfest is so much heavier than anything Linkin Park has ever done in their career.

Blake likes this.
  11. Blake

You bring up a great point. I agree don't change the whole set but just switch a couple of the softer songs for Rebellion and Given Up. It's not terribly hard to insert two heavy songs just for one set and it would definitely help the setlist for this show.

12. The Joesen One

The Joesen One Fun-employed LPA Super Member

I guess I now understand why for years people considered Linkin Park the Backstreet Boys in rock festival lineups.

At this rate when you're too pop for Hellfest and Rock am Ring and too rock/mainstream/uncool for Glastonbury and Coachella the only festival that I can think of that can accommodate them is the iHeart Radio festival. :halfkappa:

Halfway Dwight likes this.
  13. Michele

Michele Praise Brad Delson, our Lord and Savior. LPA Addict

Actually Rock am Ring is the perfect festival for LP. Its not just a Rock festival as the name says. It also have many hip hop/electronic artists.

14. Deliveranze

Deliveranze Well-Known Member

Honestly, I never kept up with this type of stuff. :lol:

I always thought it was trivial to discredit a band for not being "heavy" enough. LP will always be type casted as a "hard rock" band and albums like OML and ATS are "experiments" instead of being their core sound.

For me, I always thought their pop/hip hop elements were far more interesting. They are accessible for those not particularly interested in rock, pop, hip hop (for better or worse) and do have lots of crossover appeal. BUT that's why I liked them.

Their choruses were far more catchier and melodic than a lot of nu metal or hard rock acts and they sounded genuine in their hip hop sound. As someone who listens to hip hop more than any other genre, I appreciated LP's approach to rap, as it sounded natural and inspired. I didn't get that from other rap rock bands or better bands that tried rap.

I do agree tho that if they're gonna play at a hard rock festival, they should play hard rock songs but, hey, it's their choice.

Modern Guitar God and Sasuke like this.
  15. Flozuki

Flozuki LPA VIP LPA VIP

It is not, I thought it is obvious when mentioning Aerosmith... It was solely a Metal festival in its early days. Over the years it has become a festival where mainly metal and rock acts including a ton of subgenres perform while always squeezing in other acts. You can see that when looking at the headliners alone. It is generally not necessary to even discuss if LP should play there. It is not like they begged the hosts to play and in general a huge part of the audience is there for two reasons: They want to see their favorite bands (they have several stages so you have options if you really want to not see a band) and they enjoy their passion to listen to music without being judged. This includes their whole culture and not just listening to a certain music type.

That some people really try to force the band to not play certain setlists or festivals or whatever reminds me to the early days when suits tried to tell the band what they should wear (poncho says hello) and who has to sing what and how. There is no need for that. I don't even know why this nitpicking has to be? If the crowd doesn't like them they will show it. The band is professional enough to handle these situations, they have been bottled before and has practically seen it all regarding difficult crowds. In general music is there to unite us, not to divide.

dontFindOutMe likes this.
  16. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Woah!

I like how people feel their opinion on the album is 100% absolute and is what should be perceived generally. Not Filip, but there are others using his points to try and make it seem as such.

If you don't think the album was risky, then just go back and look at this same thread. Fans are currently the most aggressive and volatile they've ever been. The album might not be as musically risky as ATS but the after effects of its release definitely made the album more risky as a whole and the riskiest they've put out.

Here's the thing guys and il try to be as simple as possible. At the end of the fucking day, the band are happy with what they've made and are excited for it. Them playing so many songs already live is proof of how much they've enjoyed or are enjoying these songs. Chester has been gloating about these songs since way back during their group fb live sessions.
    Who the hell do you guys think you are to tell them that they are not passionate about these songs or don't get excited for these songs that they've put out and did it for mainstream success?

It's like what Chester said on instagram, you can hate the album all you want. No one is asking you to like it. But draw the line somewhere and don't act like you know the band more than they know themselves or how much they've worked on this album. Period.

17. Forfeit to Break

Forfeit to Break Well-Known Member

THIS.

I would also add don't act like you know other people who are defending the band in the fanbase more then they know themselves, liking OML doesn't equate to being a dick rider. I like it because I think it's a fantastic album, imo one of their best, which isn't a kiss ass opinion it's because I genuinely think it's great. Just because that doesn't match some others opinions doesn't make it a fact that I'm wrong, lying to myself and the album actually sucks. It means I have different taste, because music is subjective.

No one has a right to talk like it's a fact that this album sucks and the band have sold out. It is not a fact, just your opinion. Many others think differently.

Halfway Dwight and Sasuke like this.
  18. LohithMohan

LohithMohan It's like I'm paranoid...or am I?

Heck, this album isn't even my favorite. Look at my signature. To me, it's a decent album with some quality songs and with some bad ones. I detest Good Goodbye and Heavy but I appreciate what the band was going for in those songs(it baffles me how hard this can be for some).

I'm not gonna go "Hurr Durr.... How dare they make songs that I don't like and that sounds a bit more mainstream than what they've usually put out as singles even tho almost all their singles till date has been mainstream in some form or another (but I'm just gonna ignore that for now because I have a point to make). Oh and let me assume the reasons why the band made those songs and spread it around as tho I know everything that's happening in the band and know how they think.... Hurr Durr"
    Fucking ridiculous. You all should be ashamed of yourselves. Even more if you're all grown ass adults.

brady likes this.
  19. Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

This is a very important part of your post that needs to be pointed out. I've seen a lot of speculation on these boards within the last month or so in regards to the band's 'intentions' with this album, but people seem to forget that The Hunting Party wasn't a slam dunk for the entire band. I don't have an exact interview to link (if I can find one if I must), but I remember Mike saying numerous times during the hype period for THP that he had to do some convincing to get the rest of the band on board. That at least half the band didn't want to make a record like The Hunting Party at this point in their careers, and needed to be sold on it by Mike. It was hardly some passionate decision the whole band came up with to go 'heavy', and instead was mostly Mike's idea. Yes they ultimately all came around and made a record that greatly showed off each band member's respective abilities, but it was hardly something that the band came together on from the get go. The band actually had been making more poppier music in their early writing sessions, before taking the absolute 180 they did with THP.

Mike hasn't made any comments about the band needing to be pushed to go in this direction. On the contrary you have almost every band member (including those who rarely do interviews), coming out and speaking about how excited they are for this record. Sure, some people hate it (and that's fine), but what matters is that the band is happy. Because a happy band means the band is more likely to want to continue to do this for longer, which in theory can mean more music and more albums. Which means, an opportunity for the band to pull yet another 180 one album from now.

20. leftshoe18

leftshoe18 Well-Known Member

California's great though. I mean it's not as good as Dude Ranch or Enema but I still enjoy it a lot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.