ipod mini vs. zen micro

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Seb, Sep 25, 2005.

Seb

Seb Active Member

I am planning on purchasing an mp3 player. I've narrowed my choices down to the ipod mini 4gb and the zen micro 5gb. According to reviews I've read, both are good quality players. I can't decide between the 2. Which one is the better choice? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

From someone who has owned both an iPod and a Creative Zen Touch...

Both players will give you good results. The Zen Micro will give you a little more, with recording and FM capibilities. Also, if you want to invest a little more, you can get the color Micro

The big difference is the program. With my Zen came a program called Creative MediaSource. It's difficult to sync music to the zen, you have to do it very specifically to get your playlists in the right order, etc. If you are going to use playlists, forget about syncing with any other program....every one gave me crap including Real, WMP, Musicmatch, J River Media Player, etc, etc, etc. I'd much rather use iTunes to play and sync music.

If you want ease of use, go with the Mini. If you don't mind some extra time configuring the sync but want the recording capibilities, go with the zen.

You might want to also consider the Zen MicroPhoto, if you want photo capibilities.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I got a Zen Touch instead of an iPod, mainly because the Zen has a longer battery life and I need it. I'd go with Creative.

Glenn

Yes, the Zen Touch has more battery life than the iPod, but according to amazon.com, the Mini has more battery life (18) than the Micro (12).

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The iPod Mini was replaced with the iPod Nano a couple weeks ago, I'd suggest taking a look at that. They're really tiny. I saw one in person and the pictures on Apple's website makes it seem bigger than it really is.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

You should really take a look at the iRiver H10. One of the best players on the market. Color screen, radio, voice and FM radio recording capabilities, photo, text. And it looks sexy. It's great.

http://www.iriveramerica.com/prod/hd/

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

definatley the Zen - i dont go anywhere without mine

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Yeah but its not a dime cheaper than an IPod Nano/Mini. For that much I'd actually buy the IPod. :wth:

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I know, seriously! I held one the other day. It is so fucking small.

As much as I hate the nano, consider looking at it. But the Creative Zen is probably better.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

If those were my options, then I'd get the Nano (as Mini has been cut). Why? I use iTunes, so I'll have a much easier time syncing. :)

Tekkiji

Tekkiji Well-Known Member

I own an iPod and I have played with a Zen. I just don't like Zen's interface. I love my iPod. It's so easy to use and update. It's just up to the person. I've seen a lot of people walking around with the Zen's, but not as much as I see people with iPods.

I say go with iPod.

Glenn

Well...you can't really compare the Nano with the Zen Micro since are very different sizes (1 GB compared to 5 GB) and because the Nano is flash and the Micro is hard drive. After what everyone said, if you are still going to buy one of the devices you originally wanted, go with the Mini.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

Yeah but its not a dime cheaper than an IPod Nano/Mini. For that much I'd actually buy the IPod. :wth: [/b][/quote]
    Actually, the 6GB iRivers are $279 and the 4GB Nanos are $249, so I'd quickly go for the extra 2GB for $30+. So, it's, like, three hundred dimes.

Minis are no longer being manufactured. That probably means less support and if one of them breaks, you'll have to send it away instead of getting it exchanged. That's a hassle.

Shiraz

Shiraz Well-Known Member

Why in the world would they stop making iPod mini's when they were the most popular of the family? Bad idea.

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

Glenn

Because Apple believes in updating everything....when they update something, they never turn back. They're now never going to advertise the mini again and advertise their blessed and tiny nano.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

Because Apple believes in updating everything....when they update something, they never turn back. They're now never going to advertise the mini again and advertise their blessed and tiny nano. [/b][/quote]
    But I want the Mini!

:(

Oh well, time to get the Nano, And i'd get that, its easier to put music on. :)

Glenn

But I want the Mini!

:(

Oh well, time to get the Nano, And i'd get that, its easier to put music on. :) [/b][/quote]
    You can definately still get the mini. It's just that you won't find certain information on the apple website about the mini because it's been updated to the nano.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Don't you mean 2/4GB?

Glenn

Don't you mean 2/4GB? [/b][/quote]
    Ok yeah. 2/4. But one is still flash and the other is hard drive.