How organized are you?

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Tomi, Feb 8, 2007.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

I've seen all sorts of organization of how people sort their files on their computer. I've seen people just throw all their junk into their documents, people who have a specific folder for everything, people who's extent of organization goes as far as only using the default folders [My Music, My Pictures, My Videos, etc], etc.

So, that brings my random curiosity to the question: how well do you organize your documents?

I personally have a folder for just about everything. I keep everything on a separate hard drive (separate from OS, so if I ever need to reformat...), and on that HDD I have a few different folders: tm (aka My Documents), dloads [all http downloads go here practically], torrents [take a guess], and dropbox [shared folder over network, any guesses of it's purpose?].

My documents folder is organized by a few folders: logs, school, pictures, vb, and other. Anything important or immediately needed stays in the root folder, otherwise it's thrown into other, which is basically an archive. My dloads folder isn't that organized, since I'm honestly too lazy to sort out every download's purpose, so I just do a cleanup every few months after it builds up. My torrents folder is uber organized, to be honest, lol. A folder for each type of torrent, lol. I mean, who wants to be looking through a hundred folders of mixed types to find something? I won't go into detail, obvious reasons, but yeah. And my dropbox isn't really that organized due to it's purpose and low usage. My music is on a separate partition, organized by artist > album > # song.mp3. If you have ~17,000 songs, you've gotta stay organized otherwise you're fucked, right? ;)

[ Yes, I'm trying to raise activity in this forum, as I hate seeing it so dead, so start posting! :p ]

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Well, i try to be organised :lol: I've got folders seperated by artists for all my music on my laptop, and i separate all my school work by subject and teacher and various other stuff is put into it's respective folders. This is only on my laptop though :lol: My computers files are a mess, but strangely, i know where everything is that way

Janie Jones

Janie Jones Meghna is a Headcase

...and I love you for doing that, I would hate to see it dead too. >_<
    ----------------------------

I LOVE being uber organized. Most of my stuff is in my C drive, which is a bad thing, but I'm too lazy to change. In My Documents, I have a folder with my name which has separate folders for Art & animation stuff, writing stuff, school stuff like .ppts, icons, one or two games, and installation files. Then I have My Music which has the root folder of Limewire, and some ripping and 'to be burned' stuff, and I like keeping all my pics in My pictures, which are also classified by animated gifs, pics of animals, wallpapers, pics of people I like, photos of family and friends, and some photoshop stuff. My videos has some videos off youtube, but most of my movies, and ALL my music(neatly organized by iTunes) is in my G drive. Oh, ang G: also has a folder for torrrents called tor. My desktop is cluttered with shit, but I hide the icons so it's cool. :lol:

Ant

Ant Ambient

Mine's all organized. I've got specific folders for everything, I create start menu folders for each group of items (Music Players, Browsers, etc), and I backup everything on a USB HD.

Canadian Joe

Canadian Joe Bacon strips LPA Super VIP

Oh, I'm pretty terrible for that. But I can find anything in 20 seconds without the help of the shitty windows search, so it's all good :lol:

Christopher

Christopher It's what you like, not what you're like. Über Member

I've got a folder for everything. :lol: That's it.

Disenchanted

Disenchanted The Black Parade is Dead! LPA Super Member

My C drive is a fucking mess. Pics, videos and music thrown everywhere...I'm just too lazy to sort them all out. :lol: I'm used to it, though, so I can always find everything. Although, my desktop is pretty well organized. :lol:

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

I have absolutely nothing on my Desktop. :lol: If there's anything ever on there, it's usually either temporary, or extremely important to be done immediately (kinda like a todo list). :p

miny_girl_LP

miny_girl_LP wow the dark side has cookies!I'm there!

Welll....i might sound weird but i have a folder for everything and they are pretty much in alphabetical order. My songs are devided into folders for moods and then in folders with first letter of the song......i'm really organized and if someone messes everything on my computer up i can't find anything.

Will

Will bread crumbs & white stones LPA Addicted VIP

I've got two external hard drives separate from my operating system, for the same reason as you, tomi.

My first external hard drive has all my games on it. (And they're all legal, so stfu, FBI.)

My second external hard drive has all my music sorted in this manner: Artist / (Year) Album title / Artist name - Album title - Track number - Song title.extension.

I named the actual files that way for when I send them to friends, 'cause they don't sort their music the same way I do. But it's useful.

The music is sorted alphabetically, too. So all the artists who start with A go in the A folder, etc.

All my other files are just sort of there. I've only got pictures and torrents sorted. Everything else gets dropped in My Documents and deleted when I'm done with them.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
    Tekkiji

Tekkiji Well-Known Member

I'm pretty organized, with my folders and my start menu. I have two external hard drives. One I use for my music, pictures, and some programs. I usually organize my music by artist and then albums. My other hard drive is for video. I organize that by title and seasons if it is tv shows.

i see a lot of people that will just randomly add stuff to their start menu which makes it huge and laggy. I organize mine by Media/Internet. All my main media programs go under media (like iTunes, Winamp, Quicktime, etc.) and under Internet is stuff like Firefox, Power desk, Limewire, etc. I also put all my messengers in one folder, my anti spyware in it's own folder, etc. etc. I find this a lot easier to find stuff in my start menu. On my computer I try to keep just my homework which I organize by class and then lesson, notes, lab, homework, etc. etc.

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

I try to be organised, only problem is that I fail miserably. :lol:

There are files scattered all over my computer so it's very possible that I could be looking for a certain file for 30 minutes and still not find it. Problem is that I have so many files for music (both limewire downloaded and regular downloaded), movies, word documents etc. I find my word documents to be the worst organised because I still have work and lyrics there from three years ago mixed in recent work and lyrics. There are is also atleast a thousand documents aswell so yeah it's quite annoying trying to find things. :lol:

Beca

Beca Plug in baby.

Heh, heh, heh. Organisation dosn't exist on my computer. I tried to, believe me. I made some folders called "website stuff" and "dolls" and "crap". But i couldnt be bothered to go all the way to those folders to save a picture or whatever.
    So basically, i just save everything in my documents. And music i've downloaded is in my playlists. I just shove everything anywhere. I think the tidyest part of my computer is the desktop.

Neil

Neil Super Duper Member LPA Super Member

If somethings somewhat like a document, I drop it in my documents and search for it if I need it. Other than that I'm horribly disorganized but know where everything is.

androidkaita

androidkaita Well-Known Member

Im fairly organized. Ive got lots of folders for stuff in my documents
    but my desktop still has tons of shit on it. My documents>pictures>music>downloads>videos>psp games>psx games> etc

Ratsputin

Ratsputin Member

I organize my PC music like a mofo. Other than that, I'm a lazy sod. :p

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I've tried it out before, and it didn't work. For music it's automatically organized in media player, and everything else I can find in the start menu. Random things are in My Documents, and pictures are in My Pictures. All settled. My desktop is randomly cluttered, too, sometimes, but I usually end up sending it to My Documents.

lief92

lief92 Well-Known Member

ewww...you have backstreet boys.:sick: jk;) .

personally, i don't have much music so it all goes in one folder named favs. all the files that i save automatically go into my documents until i have to scroll to the right, then i clean all my crap up. also, my music files are named this way, title-artist.wma or title-artist.mp3. i have no idea why people name their music files artist-title.etc. wouldn't that mean that all their music is together. i prefer my way because i get variety.

Zakrisk

Zakrisk Smoke weed.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean? So you name them title-artist so that your songs aren't in order with the artist? :confused: