High School

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by SamohtCela, Jul 23, 2010.

SamohtCela

SamohtCela The Only Thing That's Worse Than One is None

This year, I'm going to be a freshman in High School. I am more nervous than anything cause of this. I know there's alot more pressure and work in high school. I'm also worried about what catagory I fit in, I know there are the Popular kids and the Outsiders and whatnot. I always got picked on in Middle School and I know i'm probably going to get picked on this year. I don't know how I'm going to put up with it this year espically all the new things that I have to come across this year.

Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Heading in with the mindset of negativity will probably lead to it. Since you were bullied previously, and are now fearing the same, of course you're going to be nervous. However, you're heading to a new school (right?), so you can make a new start.
    You have a summer to work on building some confidence and boosting yourself esteem. So, try out new activities/hobbies etc, to meet new people and become more comfortable with yourself. Forget worrying about which "group" you fit into. These labels are meaningless. Be friendly and willing to speak to others and just make some new friends. Many individuals will be feeling how you are. Almost everyone was nervous about joining a new school, college, university. It's natural.

In regards to "putting up" with bullying, quite simply, don't. Don't be ashamed to speak to someone about the matter. No one should have to suffer through bullying. Although, unfortunately, many of us do. And many, probably like yourself, suffer in silence. That'll just make it worse. I'm not sure what resources you'll have available over there, but you should be able to speak to a teacher about the matter.

And yes, there's going to be a lot more work. So, stay focussed.

Good luck with it. Feel free to send a PM if you ever need someone to talk to and such.

SamohtCela

SamohtCela The Only Thing That's Worse Than One is None

Overall, yes I'm heading to a new school. I know it's going to be hard get used to and I know that there is alot of work this year. I'm afraid of how it's all going to go this year.

Switchback

Switchback Well-Known Member

Back then, I was just as worried as you. And, I assure you, once you're settled, you'll be fine. It'll probably take a week or so, but you'll be fine. The nervousness is completely normal. I won't say "don't be nervous", as that's easier said than done, but just keep in mind that others will be feeling the same. So, perhaps you can use that to your advantage and try speaking to those who seem very shy and nervous to initiate conversation. You'll make a new friend, and you'll help someone else settle in as well.

Fox

Fox Love & Trolls LPA Super Member

Switchback is right about the negativity. You gotta stay positive about things :) High School is where pretty much you find yourself and have an idea of what you want to do with life. As far as academics, it's not hard you just gotta know how to get good grades for colleges. That's really the most important part. I used to work too during high school and it was sometimes tough for my social life, but I still could fit stuff in.

Mannn, I remember my freshman year in high school but I gotta say my favorite year was sophomore year simple because I skipped my senior year.

Good luck :)

Disturbedthoughts

Disturbedthoughts *Twitch*

I agree with what's been said so far, I would also put forth the idea of joining a club or something of the like. My favorite part of high school was my time spent in theater. Acting and backstage work. The negative aspects of high school truly are exaggerated. High school is just a bunch of socially awkward people going through the most awkward of ages trying their best to have a good time.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

Just remember, everyone else is going through the same thing. :)

Gloomy Mushroom

Gloomy Mushroom Absolute Zero LPA Super VIP

I was scared as hell when I first entered it. What scared me the most was all the girls and such peer pressure you were under to do well in fashion and yet, being dumb was the thing for the first few years and if you weren't, you were a nerd. But that soon changed, in Year 10 + no one gave a damn about what you wore it was all about intelligence. If you survive high school, as its a peek for teenagers to express themselves and to experience what the real world is kinda like, I say you're a legend. It isn't impossible nor is it easy.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

Best and worst time of your life.
    By the end of it you'll have learnt that cliches can actually be true: 'you won't be happy until you start being yourself'

Arlene

Arlene Oh what tangled webs we weave LPA Super Member

Just stay positive. I wouldn't let the popular 'which clique do I fit in?' thing worry you...it's not important. Just work hard through your classes, because that's what truly matters. As someone already said, it's a new start, so just be friendly and open with everyone as opposed to freaked out and closed off because you're afraid of what people will think of you.

Plus, as I did, you'll find that the "popular" crowd are the ones that you roll your eyes at and wish would get a life. For me, my senior year in high school this past year, all those people would yell and cheer through the hallways because they were seniors- in my opinion, they're the so-called "losers." (I bet they're so excited to graduate because they have shit for brains and never thought they'd graduate...ha ha.)

So basically, focus primarily on school and remember to keep yourself open to new people. Don't close off because you're afraid of judgment. :)

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

High school is what you make of it. Just work hard and try to make the best of the experience. Will there be assholes? Sure (they're everywhere). But you can rest easy knowing they probably won't amount to shit in life.

Stay focused, stay friendly, and do your thing.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I'm going to give you a few tips, since I just now graduated from high school.

1) Don't try to put yourself into a "social group." The goal isn't to be popular in high school, but nor is it to isolate yourself. You want to make friends but not for the reason of trying to gain some sort of social status, but more so to have people to make your way through high school with. High school is supposed to be fun.

2) I barely got picked on in high school, and so I doubt that you will. Hang around your friends often if you want to avoid this. If you're worried about making friends...

3) GET INVOLVED. This is the biggest piece of advice anyone will ever give you. Join a couple of clubs that pertain to your interests and you will be very surprised how quickly you'll make friends in those clubs. I joined Marching Band and ever since then, all of my friends have been from that group. It's a group that makes me happy, so be careful in how you choose. If you're not happy, you're in the wrong place. Getting involved in clubs and making friends through those clubs will eliminate chances of peer pressure. People who have the same interests as you tend to understand you better as a person.

4) Just make sure to take care of your work. Honestly, the workload isn't *that* bad, contrary to popular belief. I took 4 AP's and 3 Honors classes (as a senior, mind you) and I made it through just fine. If you take everything one step at a time and if you don't panic, you'll be okay.

5) Don't care about what other people think of you. High school isn't this place where everyone is out to get you, so don't look at it that way. It's a place for you to find yourself as a person, find what interests you, make new friends that you could potentially have for the rest of your life, and a place for you to thrive. There's nothing for you to be scared about, I promise.

6) Don't skip class, don't sleep in class, and make sure you take good notes. Cliche, I know, but these are so valuable.

If you have any other questions, feel free to PM me. A lot of us have been where you are, and we're all more than willing to help you out. But really, it isn't so bad. I promise you will have it a lot easier than you're worrying about.

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

Another tip:

Learn to play at least 2-3 songs on piano and/or guitar. Songs that everyone knows from their childhood or love songs work well.

Play them at your talent show.

Congratulations, you have just won high school.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

You'll be fine.

1) Be somewhat social.
    2) Be honest with yourself. Don't lie or any of that crap.
    3) Find people and just be friendly. Friendliness tends to lead to friends.
    4) Be aware. They'll be bullys and cliques and everything. So what? If you happen to be in one, cool man! If not? You're not missing out hahaha.
    5) Focus on school work. There's plenty of time to just mess around. Save it for when it's appropriate.
    6) Don't give in to drugs. If someone offers, decline. :p
    7) Dont sweat it. You'll be fine. :lol:

_cam_

_cam_ Well-Known Member

High School is fun! It's ok to feel nervous at first day eventually you'll be used to it and you'll get lots of friends. Treasure the real friends you'll meet because they are for keeps. Maintain balance between your social life and studies. Don't let someone step on you.

Bring it on! Aja! :D

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

Holy shit this thread makes me feel old....

Minus

Minus ohai LPA Addicted VIP

I know right?

Ophelia

Ophelia LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

How old are you?

Edit: never mind, I found out. And what I wouldn't give to be 24.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

24. I entered my freshman year 10 years ago :lol:

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I turn 23 this year and I feel so fucking old reading this. It is depressing.

:lol: