Grimes - Art Angels

Discussion in 'Other Music' started by Nicholas, Nov 4, 2015.

Nicholas

Nicholas Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Any Grimes fans here?

Grimes' new album "Art Angels" releases November 6th, but it has leaked already.

She's taken a far more pop oriented approach on this album, which has polarized fans. Some are loving it, some are disappointed. Personally, I think it's an interesting evolution from her previous work. It's retains her core style while still incorporating new ideas and making it more easily accessible for new fans.

Singles:

[video=youtube;Tv9YoYCKNoE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tv9YoYCKNoE[/video]

[video=youtube;UUe9rnucPoU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUe9rnucPoU[/video]

Track listing:

• Laughing and Not Being Normal
    • California
    • SCREAM (featuring Aristophanes)
    • Flesh without Blood
    • Belly of the Beat
    • Kill V. Maim
    • Artangels
    • Easily
    • Pin
    • REALiTi
    • World Princess, Pt. II
    • Venus Fly (featuring Janelle MonĂ¡e)
    • Life in the Vivid Dream
    • Butterfly

So far, my personal favorite is "Kill V. Maim", very catchy. As much as I'm enjoying it, I fully expect it to be trashed by critics, especially those who liked her previous albums. Still, I think it's worth checking out for anyone who's a fan of dream pop/synthpop.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

I finally got around to checking out "Flesh Without Blood" today and I really like it ... but, like every Grimes song, it's not really something that I'd wanna hear day in and day out so I'm not really that interested in the album.

Nicholas

Yeah, to be honest, while I like this album I think it was a bad decision. She ditched a lot of what drew attention to her to appeal to those who weren't ever going to listen to her in the first place. Like she's trying to make music for Taylor Swift fans, those who would've been bewildered at "Visions". There are a few gems here, she IS talented, but I think she may have made the wrong decision here. Her singing is more prominent in this album, and it's clear she's not good at it at all underneath all the reverb and distortion. She's great sans the vocals even here, I would buy the instrumentals to this album if she released them.

She talked about scraping an entire album's worth of material earlier this year, so I'm wondering if this was rushed. If it gets trashed by critics I hope she'll reconsider what kind of music she should be making.

Nicholas

[​IMG]

Double post, but 90 Metacritic? How the fuck? I was certain it would be trashed, then it ends up being her most well received album.

I like the album a lot though and it has been growing on me, but to call it an 8.5-10/10 is REALLY stretching it. Maybe I'm just not seeing (Or should I say, hearing) what others are seeing.

Modern Guitar God

Modern Guitar God Nets 2021 LPA Super VIP

I liked a few songs from the album but didn't find it particularly remarkable. She has gotten much better as a producer, performer, and vocalist though. I liked the first version of "Realiti" more than the album's. My favorite cut from the album is "World Princess". My favorite song by her overall is "Skin".

With this album, I thought there were either too many sounds in a song or too many effects. I can understand where she's coming from, going back from a minimalist album like Visions and wanting to make bigger sounding songs. I don't know. Maybe I'll wrap my head around the album sometime later in life and appreciate it.