GOP Primary Race

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Benjamin, Jan 3, 2012.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

Tomorrow marks the true beginning of the primary race for the Republican Party with the Iowa Caucus. At the moment, Romney seems to be a slight favorite in Iowa but it looks like Ron Paul and Rick Santorum (THE FUCK?) have a shot as well. All of the other candidates have had their ups and downs. Newt is the latest candidate to have seemingly been at the top only to see his poll numbers go down gradually. Who do you think will win Iowa? What about the whole race?

Personally, I think Romney at the end of the day will win the primary race because Republicans will recognize him as the only one who can beat Obama in the general election. But if he gets Herman Cain'd, anything is possible I guess.

Jesse

Jesse Out of the abyss. LPA Über VIP

I'm really disappointed in the lack of any sane candidates this cycle. Not to take away from the fact that I find almost everyone who declares themselves a part of the GOP, insane but really the over the top craziness of the people these days is just too much.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Ron Paul will gain more ground in the coming months, I think. He's the only REPUBLICAN that makes a bit of fucking sense at all when you watch the debates (Yeah, I've done that, several times). This isn't just me being a Ron Paul nut-hugger, either. Either way, though, I think Obama gets re-elected, so I don't really care. But the only way I'm voting is if Paul is on the bill. And, you can say all you want about me not having a right to complain about the election when the time comes because I didn't "make my voice heard", or whatever. That's like saying you can't argue with the results of the Grammys or Oscars or something unless you participated in the voting process. But, anyway...

Ron Paul for GOP Candidate '12, yes please. But, I'm more interested in the idea that, if any year, 2012 will be the year that a 3rd party can rise to prominence and make a good run at the White House. I forgot where I read that, but, yeah. Already rumblings of an Occupy Party.. :p

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Lol yeah, Santorum is coming out of nowhere. Maybe his Iowa supporters haven't Googled his name yet.

Paul's got a good shot at Iowa, but the media has been unfairly downplaying the importance of Iowa just in case Ron happened to win it. Every other election Iowa has been pumped up by the media and has had a pretty good track record at picking the eventual nominees. But now that the media is trying to write it off, even if Ron wins, I'm not sure how that will affect the rest of the race.

Santorum is basically just hype from the latest CNN poll that wasn't very accurate and got people supporting him off that. I think he's basically just statistical noise and won't get near his poll numbers in the caucus. I'd say it's virtually 40% for Romney, 40% for Paul, and 20% for Santorum the frothy mixture. It'll be really interesting if Romney takes third.

The worst part of this circus of a GOP is that the media covers stories that aren't newsworthy, while totally ignoring the National Defense Authorization Act that was in the works, and that was eventually signed the other day by Obama. I bet only 5% of the nation knows about it, and that's being really dishonest to the citizens. Same goes for the Stop Online Piracy Act. Obama is using this GOP buzz as a cover to do all the dirty work before people realize what's really going on. Hopefully that doesn't pass as well.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

yeah I'm kinda desperately hoping Ron Paul gets it. Romney's to iffy, I don't think he'll get it done. and Santorum can fuck off and die as far as I'm concerned. If he gets elected Obama might as well push the big red button and put us out of our misery.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

Here's the way I see it:

The three most legitimate political candidates in the race for the GOP Nomination are Mitt Romney, Ron Paul, and Jon Huntsman. I think Mitt Romney, despite the fact that he has tried to align himself much more as a true conservative (which we all know he isn't, and is very reminiscent of what happened to John McCain in the 2008 election), is a good candidate because he's more moderate than he'd like to give off. The fact that he passed very liberal legislation in Massachusetts with three very conservative methods (there's an article on this somewhere, Google it) makes optimistic for him as a candidate. With that said, it hurts him in the eyes of Republicans because to compete in the GOP, you have to, for some reason, be as right-wing and as polarized as possible.

Ron Paul simply seems to be the truest Republican, and while I don't have enough knowledge about him, I think there's something to be said about the fact that he doesn't get much coverage. While I don't agree with him idea-wise, he seems to be the most consistent candidate. He knows what he wants, and it's just sad because it feels as though he's always in the Romney shadow and is just left out by the media.

Jon Huntsman is the one I like the most, but God knows he won't get nominated because of how much more moderate he is than the other candidates. He's the one who said that the Republicans shouldn't aim to be this 'anti-science' party. That to me was very indicative of his awareness that the Republican party has a major short-coming because they won't acknowledge something as proven as climate change.

I must acknowledge that I need to look into each candidate more, but right now, I would choose Huntsman if he were the GOP Candidate. He seems reasonable. Romney is a close second. At the end of the day, I would still vote for Obama. Obama's term has been impacted greatly by the divided, and for the most part incompetent Congress he has.

With that said, you'd all better be voting for representatives. It's not enough to just vote in Presidential Elections. If you guys aren't looking to elect your Congressmen, you're doing the United States a great disservice. Congress arguably has more power than the President does (at least, it appears so), and have largely dictated his ability to get anything passed. Republicans say no just to say no. Democrats say no because everyone else says no. It's a bunch of arm-wrapping and no actual thought. The fact that the NDAA passed is absolutely disgraceful considering how much backlash the Patriot Act received, and the possibility of SOPA passing would take our concern for intellectual property to a whole new level, threatening sites such as this one. Congress is sensationalist like the media is, and doesn't seem to pass things that would actually do good for the majority of people in this country. The fact that it took two tries to pass a 9/11 Healthcare Bill to provide healthcare for the first responders suffering from illnesses because of that day is disgraceful. It should have passed the first time, and the fact that it took so long to make an agreement about the Debt Ceiling that doesn't increase revenue is perhaps the most ridiculous thing.

Change Congress, and that's where you'll see change. A president is not enough. Obama couldn't do as much as he did because he has been forced to compromise more than he would have really been willing prior to becoming President. Compromise is good but at this point in time it has rendered bills useless. Obama has been looked down upon because he was given to fix more than he could in four years, and people expected too much of him.

Sorry, I know I went on this rant when we're talking about the GOP Primary Race, but I just think it's important for everyone to keep in mind that as important as electing our President is, every other position in Congress is arguably as important if not more so, especially this time around.

Tim

Tim My perversion power is accumulating LPA Super Member

I've been paying attention to every U.S. presidential election since 2000, and this shit just gets exponentially more ridiculous and embarrassing every time. The cesspools some of these politicians must crawl out of . . . yikes.

Benjamin

Every word.

Also, the fact that the only GOP candidate to believe in global warming is at the bottom of the polls shows how much trouble we are in as a country and in turn as a whole world.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

couldn't agree more with louis and Timothy. I think I'm gonna vote (in vain) for John Huntsman.

travz21

Even after Obama signed the NDAA? You'd still vote for him? Even if you don't know all of the other crap he's done, isn't that enough?

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

he is a thousand times better than any of the GOP candidates except Paul and Huntsman

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I don't agree with everything Obama does. I don't agree with everything anyone I've ever voted for does. The only person I'm going to agree with on everything is me, and I'm not running for president, so Obama is the next best thing.

travz21

Are you 35 or older? If so, get out there!

Todd

Nope ;)

Benjamin

All of the bad things Obama has done are things that any typical Republican would have done too. I have to give him the benefit of the doubt and think that his second term will be better (especially since he won't have to "play politics").

$pvcxGhxztCasey

so Ron Paul is projected to finish in the Iowa straw poll pretty strongly. Maybe not win it, but definitely do better than what most people thought he could do.

Benjamin

$pvcxGhxztCasey

suck on that boys

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

the good news is that Michelle Bachman is in last :)

Todd

Paul's still not winning the nomination. The Iowa caucus isn't as significant as the media makes it out to be. Huckabee won it in 2008 and his campaign fizzled out like a stale fart.