Favorite Motion Pictures Thread

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by lime treacle, Jul 20, 2014.

lime treacle

lime treacle You are not alone Über Member

Post your favorite films! YAY!

Post the cover of the movie (or a picture of a scene from the film), along with a review or an explanation of why you like it so much.

I'll start:

[​IMG]

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows – Part 1 (2010) – Some feel like it's inferior to its successor that it leads up to, and that it just feels too much a prequel, but Part 1 transfers brilliantly the sense of dread and helplessness I loved about the book to film, which I find is the core of Deathly Hallows as a part of the series. Another pro is that, even though part 7 of the series is my favorite, with this film... it's still not over yet, only helping the feeling of despair as Voldemort grabs hold of the Deathstick. What awaits? 9/10

Of course, you can post multiple favorites. Let's go!

Filip

Filip god break down the door LPA Contributor

[THUMB]http://collider.com/wp-content/uploads/amazing-spider-man-final-poster.jpg[/THUMB]

The Amazing Spider-Man (2012) - I love it cuz I love it. Srs, I love the new cast, and I feel like everything was better than in the first trilogy. The plot is so much better, the effects are great, I love the way it was filmed, the music... everything. Insert obligatory sentence about how fucking beautiful Emma Stone is here. Andrew Garfield has been one of my favorite actors since I saw him in ''Boy A''. Which reminds me...

[THUMB]http://img.subom.net/media/b_poster/32/1078188_7432.jpg[/THUMB]

Boy A (2007) - I cri everitim. The story is amazing, and Andrew Garfield's performance in this film is just incredible. You can really connect with the character. The movie has a very depressing plot, however doesn't lack humor. The final scene is just too much to take. Spoiler alert: I love the fact the ending isn't super happy.

Erica

Erica Meh LPA Über VIP

Star Wars- All of them, yes I love all of them. Come at Me bro

Lord of the Rings- These are the ultimate in big, blockbuster, epics. Just insanely good.

Juno- I love this movie so much, I quote it to this day.

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World- Same as Juno, just love it.

A Clockwork Orange- Classic, I don't even need to say anything.

Donnie Darko- Brilliant psych film.

Monty Python- All three, funniest movies of all time.

Harry Potter- Some people didn't like them, I thought they were great.

Until the Light Takes US- Amazing black metal documentary.

Eternal Sunshine of a Spotless Mind- This movie was so up my alley.

Gibs

Gibs The Prog Nerd Über Member

[​IMG]

Without out a doubt, one of the greatest movie trilogies in existence. Absolute perfection. No movie experience will EVER match up with seeing Return of the King in theaters.

"I can't carry it for you, but I can carry you!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
    MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

[thumb]http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ4Mjc4NDAwN15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMjgzMzk5MDE@._V1_SY500_SX333_AL_.jpg[/thumb][thumb]https://d2nh4f9cbhlobh.cloudfront.net/_uploads/galleries/25951/shaun-of-the-dead-poster.jpg[/thumb][thumb]http://www.beyondhollywood.com/uploads/2010/06/fast-five-movie-poster.jpg[/thumb]

01. The Italian Job
    My first favorite movie that I can remember - when I first saw this in 2004 or 2005, I actually watched it once or twice a week for quite some time. It's just fun, and the vengeance Charlie seeks is completely justified, as opposed to how vicious more modern films get with the idea. Great films are subtle in every scene's actions and leave it to the actors to make them worthwhile, and literally everyone from Mark Wahlberg to Charlize Theron to Seth fucking Green sell each of their roles.

02. Shaun of the Dead
    To this day, this is my favorite comedy movie. "Rom Zom Com" :lol: I love everything about this movie: the writing, the direction, the incredibly funny effects, the chemistry (particularly Nick Frost + Simon Pegg - HILARIOUS). Edgar Wright just has a knack for making things highly enjoyable while giving it just the right amount of heart to not make it too cheesy nor too bland.

03. Fast Five
    My current favorite movie of all time - I've literally watched this movie north of 50 times. If I'm bored, I'll just load it up from my DVR and I think I'll leave it on in the background, but I end up watching it again anyway. The entire franchise has led up to the fun and epic masterpiece that is this film:
    - the first film was all about driving fast cars with a pinch of storytelling thrown in
    - the second film took half of what makes Fast & Furious what it is (Vin Diesel) and threw it out
    - the third film was an incredibly drastic change that was fun to watch, but was also a good way to melt your brain into gush
    - the fourth film saw the franchise attempting to change direction, away from street races and towards heists, but it wasn't executed right
    Then came this film that tied several elements up until that point in the franchise and really expanded on this notion of "family over everything", along with some very sneaky heist-play to result in a satisfying film both on an emotional and excitement level.

Moridin

Moridin Death Contagious Deity

I could name tens, but I'll just do five for now, in no particular order.

The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (2007) - Dir: Andrew Dominik. Cast: Brad Pitt, Casey Affleck, Sam Rockwell
    [​IMG]

Moon (2009) - Dir: Duncan Jones. Cast: Sam Rockwell, Kevin Spacey (voice).
    [​IMG]

In Bruges (2008) - Dir: Martin McDonagh. Cast: Colin Farrell, Brendan Gleeson, Ralph Fiennes, Clemence Posey
    [​IMG]

The Prestige (2006) - Dir: Christopher Nolan. Cast: Hugh Jackman, Christian Bale, Scarlett Johansson, Rebecca Hall, Michael Caine.
    [​IMG]

The Lord of the Rings (2001, 2002, 2003) - Dir: Peter Jackson. Cast: Elijah Wood, Ian McKellen, Viggo Mortensen, Orlando Bloom, Cate Blanchett.
    [​IMG]

Reed To Black

Reed To Black Prog, bro.

View attachment 7576

The Goonies- I will always love this movie. This is one of my favorites from my childhood. The opening sequence is awesome. The music is awesome. The truffle shuffle is awesome. The nostalgia is awesome.

View attachment 7577

The Dark Knight- I think I was 8 when this movie came out. I remember being really struck by how dark it was... And by how awesome it was. It really is a shame that Heath Ledger passed before he could make any other movies. Just imagine what he could've done. Some people don't like this film, but to that I say,"Why so serious?".

Edit:My pictures aren't showing up -_-

Edit 2: Nevermind

Last edited: Jul 21, 2014
    Abel

Abel Chester Bennington saved my life.

[​IMG]

Looper - So far, my favorite movie of all-time. Fantastic from beginning to end, the story's great, the acting's awesome, and the action's just right.

[​IMG]

Ed, Edd n Eddy's Big Picture Show - One of the ONLY animated movies I ever actually bought, 50% because EEnE is my favorite cartoon of all-time and 50% because the movie was amazing.

dontFindOutMe

dontFindOutMe Well-Known Member

Brad-Pitt-fight-club-body.jpg
    FIGHT CLUB

You’re not your job. You’re not how much money you have in the bank. You’re not the car you drive. You’re not the contents of your wallet. You’re not your fucking khakis
    It’s only after we’ve lost everything that we’re free to do anything

This movie will alter your perception on life.Truly a classic.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
    Agent

Agent Formerly known as Agent Sideburns LPA Über VIP

[​IMG]

Alien (1979) - Hands down one one of my top 5 films of all time. This film is an absolute masterpiece on all fronts. I was so engrossed and blown away by how amazingly well it held up even after all these years. A lot of that has to do with the mindblowing production design done by the late HR Giger. His painting and set design ideas are some of the most unique I have ever seen. It added such a creepy/mysterious atmosphere to the whole thing. It's one of the best looking film (in terms of production design) I have seen since 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Script-wise, it honestly could have been a B monster movie but Ridley Scott's vision and how he approached the story turned the whole script on its head. What we got instead was a heart-thumping, edge-of-the-seat horror thriller unlike anything I have ever seen before. The directing, coupled with with the ambitious production design is what elevated this film to the status it is at now.

Honestly I can't think of a single sci-fi thriller/horror film that comes anywhere near Alien. Even to this day.