[Expletive Deleted] Up Media

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by ProJecT NotHinG, Jul 20, 2004.

ProJecT NotHinG

ProJecT NotHinG Banned

Who thinks that media is completely tasteless and crappy?

User Name

User Name Angry Marines. Always angry, all the time. >:C LPA Super Member

Oh, pick me! Pick me!

ProJecT NotHinG

ProJecT NotHinG Banned

Ok, what do you have to say? :lol:

Trish

Trish Y2K LPA VIP

:mellow:

dips

dips Banned

Hey, my friend owns that site! >.<

Didn't even knew you guys had heard of it! But alrighty then.

dips

dips Banned

Oh, wait...... The title is the name of my friends music/media site thing.

Yes, the media sucks.

Ta Da! ^_^

I want pizza. o.o :offtopic: :wave:

Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

Let's not double-post or go off-topic......

Adam

Adam !!!! LPA Super Member

What exactly is this topic about

User Name

Well, as my Music Appreciation teacher put it, "The news isn't news anymore; it's entertainment." That isn't too far from truth. If you watch the 'news' today, you'll hear more about car chases, crimes involving black people among other things, more over what should really be in the news. Do you ever hear about the growing problem of homelessness? What about other issues that should matter? The thing is, we don't. The newscasters care more about the ratings. When it comes to news that involves your country, they like controlling you with fear. Whenever I'm surfing the channels looking for something to watch, whenever I take a look on a US channel and the news are on, it's usually something about terrorist attacks, possible terrorist targets, or the growing problem in Iraq. I haven't taken the time to look at Canadian newscasters critically, but I'll let you know if I notice anything about them.

Mark

Mark Canadian Beauty LPA Administrator

I agree with all of that stuff and I regularly notice that on CNN, and other US news channels, but I find CBC really does focus on the hardships of Canadian citizens. Last week one of the top stories here was how a community of 100 people needed newly paved roads. And there's car crashes all over the place, but CBC does try to focus on the people.

There's way too much on terrorism in the media these days. My take on that is that this is just one of the ways the government is manipulating the public's fear into giving them more support on the war, etc. Yes, 9/11 was a big issue, yes there have been suicide bombers in the Middle East here and there, and yes the attack in Madrid was very serious, but how many terrorist attacks have there been on a Western target in the last 4 years excluding 9/11? There's a fine line between vigilance and paranoia, and some news channel are crossing that line already. The last thing we need is for people to go running around like headless chickens.

Eilonwy

Eilonwy Well-Known Member

I find the media way too biased. They only report on what will make the most money. They blow things way out of proportion in my opinion, and a lot of the times they have stories on things that aren't newsworthy. I hardly ever pay attention to the news anymore, because I can't stand CNN and other news channels. I read my local newspaper, but that's about it.

emmmers

emmmers Super Member LPA Super Member

I agree with everything you said. But you can't blame them, who wants to watch news about homeless people in Djbouti over Kobe's rape charges?

Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

I agree with all of that stuff and I regularly notice that on CNN, and other US news channels, but I find CBC really does focus on the hardships of Canadian citizens. Last week one of the top stories here was how a community of 100 people needed newly paved roads. And there's car crashes all over the place, but CBC does try to focus on the people. [/b][/quote]
    Got to agree with you. CBC and SRC (french CBC) have a honest journalistic approach, ie are not always going for the impressive news that in fact do not affect our lives at all.

User Name

To quote my MA teacher again, "The news isn't news anymore; it's entertainment." Kobe's rape charges shouldn't be in the 'news', because it has no real affect on anyone except for the parties involved. And to add to that, it's his personal life, and it's called personal for a reason. We honestly should not care, but we still tune in to the 'news' every day.

ProJecT NotHinG

ProJecT NotHinG Banned

This world is completely brainwashed by the media today! When there is news that we should care about, they worry more about a stupid thing like Britney Spears blowing out her freakin' knee, so people do that all the time. My girlfriend did that not too long ago, do a news piece on her for god's sake! I don't care for the media, I think it should burn down, just like the music industry just so people that actually have a brain can rebuild them again!

*done vent* I've had a stressful night, so don't worry!

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

Of course the stupid media is going to do the stories that make the most money. They won't focus on people...well...maybe they'll focus on dead people and the issues in Iraq especially. Are the Canadian news any better than stations like CNN?

rosanna

rosanna Well-Known Member

the media is useful for getting information out to the publice, and that information may well be something that the public needs to know for their safety (i.e. terrorism or rapists out on the streets).

however, the usefulness of the media ends when they twist the truth in order to make the story more dramatic or horrible or something.

User Name

Go read the post Mark made after my first rant. It pretty much sums up what I've noticed with Canadian news.

$pvcxGhxztCasey

$pvcxGhxztCasey meanwhile... LPA Addicted VIP

Maybe you should stop watching MTV News.

CNN & the other don't always report on non-sense like you seem to think. CNN has an Entertainment Corner on their program.

In short, stop watching MTV News. Not all news outlets are like you think they are.