EQMag: A Thousand Suns Equipment Details

Discussion in 'News' started by Joe, Dec 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

EQMag have posted an article detailing some of the equipment used in the process of recording A Thousand Suns. It covers interviews with the band and Rick Rubin who discuss in detail the albums realization. Check out an excerpt and the full article below.

"The bulk of the album was recorded at Shinoda’s studio (The Stockroom), turntablist Joe Hahn’s studio, and NRG Studios in North Hollywood, where the band has locked out Studio A, off and on, for roughly two years. Shinoda’s space is set up like a u-shaped control center, with important pieces of gear such as his MPC1000, Access Virus TI Polar, Roland Juno-106, M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, and Moog Voyager just an arm’s length away. Rather than eat up real estate with a console, all mix channels are housed in two SSL X-Racks that feature eight VHD input modules, two Mic Amp modules, two Super- Analogue EQs, two SuperAnalogue dynamics modules, one 8-channel input, and a master bus. All hardware and outboard compressors are run through three 48-channel, 1/4-inch patchbays, which then connect to the X-Racks. Monitors are ADAM A7s and Mackie HR824s."

iamsatan

iamsatan Well-Known Member

Cool read, thanks for posting it, though I have no idea what the hell all that gear does and is.

minuteforce

minuteforce Danny's not here, Mrs. Torrance. LPA Team

The more obvious stuff out of that excerpt: the MPC is Shinoda's favoured drum machine/sampler, the Virus, Voyager and Juno are keyboards and the Axiom Pro is a MIDI controller. :) Shinoda's mixing setup, I'm not good at explaining 'cause I'm not enough of an expert ;D but, aside from that, the article mostly talks about mic's and effects modules. :"

Ree

Ree a female witch. LPA Administrator

I feel like I'm reading an article in another language :lol: I have no idea about this kinda stuff haha

Super Sonic

Super Sonic The Hedgehog LPA Super VIP

good read

LPUAdit

LPUAdit Member

i was so confused when reading the whole article xD

Denny

Denny @Jackethx

Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

Bennington_Hahn

Bennington_Hahn This goes out to everybody still hatin' LPA VIP

ah thats epic! this artical truly proves how technically impressed ATS is next to the old LP albums. The've really gone to town with not only how they write the songs, but how they record and mix them as well.

over a 100 tracks on WTCFM? holy F**k :lol:

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

I've got a question. I don't remember every track, but there was more than one that gave me a strange impression. One sure is being Iridescent in the bridge, right a few seconds before the whole band sings, is it me, my headphones and my boxes or does it like clip at times? Not sure if is the guitar or drums, something lets rythmically clip the song for a quite long time, but is not really evident, i mean is a quiet clipping, not those loud ones... i am pretty sure there are other 2 songs like that, but i can't remember which... maybe one is W&K but i am not sure.
    Someone confirms?

EDIT: LOL my highest number of tracks till now for a song was 48... mad to arrive to 100 and fantastic at the same time :p

EDIT 2: Yes i am pretty sure on Iridescent is the guitar that makes the clipping... and it dures all along the band singing Until Chester gets to be heared, since then is clean again.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
    Scube

Scube Well-Known Member

“The best artists follow their instincts,” says Rubin. “It’s easy to remake the same album over and over again, and while certain fans will claim they want to hear more of the same, in reality it gets old fast. Linkin Park came to power at the end of the rap/rock wave, along with Korn and Limp Bizkit. That wave no longer is in vogue, so to make another album in that style would have probably shortened their trajectory and the relevant lifespan of the band. But most importantly, Linkin Park have moved on as artists from that old sound. The new sound is likely to alienate some old fans who, for whatever reason, aren’t growing along with the artist they follow. Also, many new fans who would have never liked them before have the chance to find Linkin Park as a band they can love. For the long-term creative health of the band, spreading their wings, challenging themselves and moving forward is the only choice.”

Good say

Storm

Storm Well-Known Member

A BIG TIME win. Awesome words and true. I do think, regardless to my latest post, that ATS is the most evolved album and complex, and i am sure much is on their systems to be heared still. I never wrote a review of this album because my english is not good enough to mantein a full read interesting, but i can say is since september i don't hear HT or Meteora. I have a 5 cd stereo, one each reader for a different band, and while i might change 4 of them, the fifth is always the same: ATS.
    I still can't say which are my favorite tracks really...
    Wretches & Kings is NOT like past songs of the band, like many people said months ago, and is a song that is so so fun to listen, i love it for the instrumental but gosh, everything is perfect, Mike's verses and charisma, Chester's lyrics and power. Waiting for the End is the first LP song giving me chills after 10 years career of them. I think if The Catalyst wouldn't have been listened for a million times by now, it would be a kick ass track as well.. i mean it still is but i kinda can't listen anymore to the same lines over and over in the remixes...
    I have to say, contrary to most of the people, Iridescent was the song that had to grow in me: i am just not too much a fan of full choirs of bands singing but i think it came out well there after all. Maybe because i am so used to Trent Reznor, i loved the intro of the song but needed to get used to the positive build up the track takes since minute one.
    When They Come For Me is a monster. Mike's awesome and even if some people complained the beat sounding like Donkey Kong or whatever, when all the percussions kicks in i just hear a stupendous rythmical track that is very reminishent to an orchestral percussive momentum, made dramatic by a very industrial background/tone.
    The last song being so simple to represent what still counts after the chaos is an amazing way to conclude the concept album, in which anything was casual, every single interlude and song was put there like a puzzle.
    None of the past, nor the demos of the years before we got with LPUX can even compare to this album in my opinion.

Apop

Apop LPA VIP LPA VIP

I don't know what you're talking about, your English is fantastic! Anyway, the only thing I can say about the article is that I'm glad we got to find out just how complex each song on the album really is, although the whole process has probably become very mundane for the guys, the methods always seem to work effectively. After each album, I find myself saying that I hope that they maintain the style and swagger they used for that particular album. I love A Thousand Suns, but I am already anxious to hear how the band will evolve the sound they have perfected, remixed, and sold, even though it's only a couple months old.

Death Slayer

Death Slayer Julian

Um... Is this english?

lakoniasm

lakoniasm What do I type here?

Getting all this for my studio.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.