Considering AMD Processor but hesitant...

Discussion in 'The Living Room' started by Glenn, Jul 24, 2005.

Glenn

Glenn Super Member LPA Super Member

I'm noticing that AMD incorporates a lot of new technologies into their processors such as hyperthreading, etc. I've also noticed that AMD doesn't have anywhere near the top clock speeds as Intel does. Do I really need to worry about the clock speeds? What other major specifications do I need to consider when buying a processor/motherboard combo? Which AMD processors are really fast?

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

What I would suggest is that it's only worth getting an AMD if you're planning to get a 64 bit processor. The AMD Athlon 64's offer 64 bit technology, far ahead of the current 32 bit. The thing is, we don't have a 64 bit version of Windows yet, and so the processor has to run in 32 bit mode all of the time. However, it still whoops the Pentium 4 on every benchmark.

If you play PC games, yes, an Athlon 64 would be ideal. Not only is it incredibly fast, it's futureproof (well, not futureproof, but it'll stand up to the test of time for a long while).
    I myself have a Pentium 4 Extreme Edition. It runs at 3.2 Ghz and has Hyper Transport technology. So, it's fairly fast. I would highly reccomend one.

Basically, do you play PC games? If so, an Athlon 64 would be ideal, but expensive.
    If you just want a nice processor but don't need one that does the dishes and makes cups of coffe for you, you'd be fine with a Pentium 4.

...And yes, you do need to worry about clock speeds. Sure, Hyperthreading is nice, but it's become more of a buzzword than a real performance solution.

Let me know the rest of your specs too and i'll tell you more.

Glenn

I don't do a lot of gaming but I want a seriously fast PC to replace my shit Dell Intel Pentium 4 2.2 GHz PC.

The highest clock speed on an AMD is 2.8 GHz so there must be some technology to match it with the Intel speeds.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

Uhh, you sure about that?

Windows XP Profession x64 Edition

I'd go for AMD. ;)

Glenn

which AMD processor would you recommend. What is a good blend of a great performance and not too high a price.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I should say first that if you've currently got a Pentium 4, your motherboard may not support AMD Processors. It's to do with the Socket 939 architecture. If you can tell me what motherboard you have, that'd help.

Any of the following AMD processors are suitable: -

AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Dual-Core Lovely dual-core processor. It's like having two processors working together. Which should increase performance by around 80% (From just having one). Because the computer can now multi-task properly. The clock speed is sketchy but it's a potential of 6.4 GHz when both cores are at maximum. But, it's expensive, between £400 and £700. (If you need that coverted to another currency head to http://www.xe.com/ucc/ )

AMD Athlon™ 64 FX It'd be smart to get the Althlon 64 FX-57. It's fast, your games wont lag for a long long time to come. The clock speed is around 2.6GHz, but it still whoops the P4EE (My processor) on every benchmark. Again, ridiculously expensive. £600-£800.

AMD Athlon™ 64 This would probably be the prime choice. 64 bit architechture, fast clock speeds and HT technology. You can get a 3Ghz one for around £100. Or the more expensive new 4 Ghz version, around £300. Big leap, but you are getting a lot of extra speed.

AMD Athlon™ XP Nice little processor. But the latest Pentium 4 processors would be a better choice. Clock speeds on the Athlon XP range from 1.5 to 3.2 GHz. Prices, around £250 for the latest ones.

Hope this helps. I can help you more if you tell me what model your motherboard is.

Tomi

Tomi   LPA Addict

If money wasn't a problem, I'd say get the Turion 64...but since you don't want to spend much, get the 64 FX.

And Feenix, the XP processor is not 64-bit technology, i'm pretty sure.

Glenn

Thanks Feenix and Tomi.

How does one figure out the motherboard type of their computer.

Also...to make things simple, I would probably get a motherboard/CPU combo. That way I know for sure that they are compatible. What are some good motherboard specifications to look into and make sure I'm not buying a piece of shit.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Nope, it isn't. I didn't say it was though. At least I don't think I did. Well, if I did, it isn't.

<!--QuoteBegin--Glenn

I would probably get a motherboard/CPU combo. That way I know for sure that they are compatible. What are some good motherboard specifications to look into and make sure I'm not buying a piece of shit[/quote].

Based on the processor you choose, you're most likely either going to need a board with Socket 939 architecture, or Socket 754. Of course, getting a new board nowadays there's the consideration to get one with PCI Express as well. Allowing you to use some very advanced graphics cards. But that's a different story.

My advice is to shop around. Every man and his dog has made a motherboard at some point. It's difficult to find quality ones. I have an Intel D865PERL based board. But you wont be able to get an Intel one, because of course, they're designed for Intel processors.

This should help considerably, it's a ton of motherboard and processor bundles for the Athlon 64.

Glenn

I'm looking at two models one from AMD and one from Intel that are immediately under 200 US Dollars.

AMD

Intel

Don't be affected by the price. The AMD comes with the fan so I bet it will be cheaper without purchasing a fan.

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I'd go for the AMD. When in 64 bit mode, it has the potential to be a hell of a lot faster than the P4. That said, it's going to cost you. You'll have to buy a new motherboard of course, and then you'll probably want to purchase Windows XP Pro 64 bit Edition to get the most out of the processor (It isn't a neccessity though). It still outdoes that P4 on most benchmarks.

Glenn

Actually...I think I'm going with Intel. I want to take advantage of the hyper threading technology rather than 64 bit since I do a lot with multimedia, etc.

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

The AMD processor is better then the Intel one you listed.

Glenn

really? even with the drastic difference in clock speed?

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

Basically, the AMD one is faster. But kind of a waste unless you plan on buying Windows 64 bit edition, and you play games a lot. Otherwise it wont run in 64 bit mode. The Intel one is probably more convenient as your motherboard most likely has the Socket 775 architecture.

Glenn

-I don't plan on playing games but need a fast computer.
    -I dunno if my motherboard has a 775 socket but I'm buying another one anyway because I need one with an AGP port.

So the AMD is faster?

Tomi

Tomi &nbsp; LPA Addict

I think Vista will be 64-bit, won't it?

Glenn

well you guys convinced me to go with AMD...I'm going to order the comp tomorrow if my parents agree. :p

Feenix

Feenix Well I Do

I think Vista will be 64-bit, won't it? [/b][/quote]
    Most likely

palingenesis

palingenesis Well-Known Member

if u want a gaming processor AMD is the way to go. choose carefully and seek better advice because i'm not exactly a computer genius. there are always review websites for hardware and stuff....but if you make a buy make it from www.newegg.com

they have great prices on everything.