Chester Joins Anti-Bullying Campaign

Discussion in 'News' started by Derek, Nov 25, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Derek

Derek LPAssociation.com Administrator LPA Administrator

BBC has recentely launched an awareness campaign to prevent bullying in schools, and has enlisted the help of people/celebrities who were bullied to help get the message across. One of the celebrities who have agreed to support this cause is Linkin Park's very own Chester Bennington.

A story that is often attributed to Linkin Park's frontman Chester Bennington is how he went through a rough childhood that included drugs, sexual abuse and even physical abuse from his peers. For the first time Chester has decided to come clean about his rough childhood, in a 2 minute long message about the adverse effects of bullying in our schools.

The message gives a personal look into the early life of the Linkin Park frontman, and reveals one of the many reasons he decided to become a rock star.

You may listen to Chester here. To listen to the other campaign messages click here. (You will need RealPlayer to listen to the files.)

Transcript: "What's up, this is Chester from Linkin Park. Yeah, I got knocked around a few times. When I was younger, I was even more awkward looking than I am now. I'm a pretty thin, scrawny-looking kind of guy. High school was pretty rough for me, I mean I was.. I had alot of friends, but I also had alot of people who really didn't like me, and I found my self defending myself alot and it was rough. So you know -- yeah, I've had my fair share of getting tossed around like a rag doll. And it's-- it's extremely emotional, you know, you can really effect a person's self-esteem, you know. On top of not being well-received by certain people at school, I was also-- I had also been sexually abused when I was a kid too, so that really-- those two things combined kinda made me want to escape life pretty much, and I've thought of killing myself a few times, of course, but who hasn't, in their life, I guess. Felt really sympathetic for themselves, and woe is me but I turned to drugs, and went on, like, a five year rampage trying to just-- I thought that if they didn't like me for who I was then maybe they'd like me if I was more like the people they admire, like, you know, like some, most rockstars we know. That's how I dealt with it, and that didn't work out very well for me. I had joined a band when I was thirteen, and that was my escape because I didn't hang out with anybody in my school, or any of my friends. I actually joined up with older kids far from where I was, so they didn't have any knowledge of really who I was or whatever, they just kind of recognized me for my voice and wanted me in their band, so I lived, kind of, a dual, kind of, life, you know, I was a nerdy kid at school and then I was, you know, a f*cking rocker on the other half of the valley and I think most of the bullies I knew in high school probably have grown up now and wish they weren't quite the pricks they were in high school."

Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

I like that. It's sort of ironic that Chester's escape was music, and now he's an escape for someone else who's experiencing some of the same things he went through. Just a comment. Yup.

Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I think it's cool that Chester is Voicing his word on bullying and sharing his life stories ^_^ thats whats up.

blurredxnotes

blurredxnotes Well-Known Member

I agree ^_^

Razan

Razan SUGAAAR!

An escape for me :D
    I'm experiencing different things but music has always been the escape.

Madi

Madi Well-Known Member

I agree ^_^ [/b][/quote]
    I agree too. Its great to see that Chester and other people care about bullying and are doing something about it.

weenie

weenie Well-Known Member

I agree too. Its great to see that Chester and other people care about bullying and are doing something about it. [/b][/quote]
    yeah, i sorta live a dual life. man, it really sucks.

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

I think it's good that Chester has joined the campaign. That's my 2 cents.

Debus

Debus Morbid Fascination LPA Addict

Go chester! This is pretty cool to hear. It's nice that he has opened up about it and shared his story. ^_^

Joe

Joe I'm tried LPA Administrator

Yeah, i agree. It may give inspiration to anyone being bullied and show them they can still have the success Chester has had with LP.

I guess that brings it up to 4 cents. :wth:

lofton0788

lofton0788 Well-Known Member

I think its great Chester is doing thing becausa I think a lot of fans encounter similar troubles and turn to LP and their music because they can connect with it...I know I do at least

Joachim

Joachim Well-Known Member

that is so awesome :D

Luke

Luke Mind Your Manners. LPA Addicted VIP

1.Whoever sexualy abused chester or any other person is a sick freak
    2.I respected chester alot before but now I respect him even more
    3.I wonder if he'll make any appearences on the BBC because it would be interesting to see him doing an appearence on british television
    4.I know what its like to be bullyed,its tough

peripeteia

peripeteia Ambient

my respect towards chester has just increased another notch.

it takes ALOT of courage to actually say out loud that he was being bullied in school, and even more courage to join in a anti-bullying campaign. ;)

JJ

JJ [i cant spoll preply]: LPA Super VIP

ditto, it was probably good for him too to get it off him chest. well done that man!

Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

Come on bullying to a certain extent teaches a kid to stand up for themselves. Look at what bullying did for chester now, it made him pretty famous. I'd bet that at least half the famous people in the world were probably picked on growing up and became what they are becaue of it. But i mean nowadays the extent that some kids take when they get bullie dis a little extreme, so i guess its a good thing to do anti-bullying cmapaigns.

htep.fan

htep.fan Well-Known Member

Agreed on that bullying teaches a kid to stand up. It's not healthful be raised in a complete paradise, simply because the real world is not a paradise, is hell. You may disagree with me, but it has happened to me, I was raised in a too familiar environment and I thought when I was a little kid that life was easy and fun and stuff like that. Life proved me wrong.

But extreme bullying (like getting picked on everyday and/or savagely) is nocive, it can damage you pretty bad (I've had experience too, but not much), so I think it's real good Chester has joined this.

erasethepain

erasethepain Well-Known Member

I think that's kind of him. I remember when I first heard the lead singer of Hoobastank talk about "Remember Me." I can only imagine having someone who put you down all those years, to turn around and come up to you once you've achieved something great and want a part of it.

LPUNDFAN4LIFE

LPUNDFAN4LIFE New Member

I LIKE WHAT CHESTER SAID. I THINK ITS GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE LIKE HIM COME OUT THE WAY HE DID. ITS SO TRUE THAT PEOPLE LISTEN TO MUSIC TO ESCAPE FROM LIFE ITSELF.

Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

I LIKE WHAT CHESTER SAID. I THINK ITS GOOD TO SEE SOMEONE LIKE HIM COME OUT THE WAY HE DID. ITS SO TRUE THAT PEOPLE LISTEN TO MUSIC TO ESCAPE FROM LIFE ITSELF. [/b][/quote]
    Woah, lay off the caps lock, please.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.