Casey Anthony: Not Guilty

Discussion in 'Serious Chat' started by Benjamin, Jul 5, 2011.

Benjamin

Benjamin LPA team LPA Super VIP

The biggest case of this young century came to a close with Anthony walking away not guilty on all counts other than lying to the police (which she's essentially already served the time for).

So what do you guys think about this? You're either somebody who thinks that she must have done it and that the jury got it wrong (and the justice system is flawed, etc.) or you're someone who thinks that there just wasn't enough evidence to convict her (which doesn't necessarily mean you don't think she did it).

HypnoToad

HypnoToad Glory to the HypnoToad! LPA VIP

I do personally think she did it (And even if she didn't, she most likely knows who did)...but the evidence that would've proven without a doubt that she did it just wasn't there.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

I don't know a whole lot about the case, but if there isn't enough evidence and not any (helpful) witnesses, the jury isn't left with much of a choice.

Benjamin

Personally, I think she did it simply because of the child's mouth having fucking duck tape on it. If she really did drown on accident, the tape makes zero sense. And the car smelling like dead people along with her google searches have convinced me that she definitely did it.

Unfortunately there just wasn't any undeniable evidence to convict her. Besides, it's better to let a murderer get away with it rather than convicting an innocent person with murder (though in this case I believe she was a murderer). Because of that, I'm not too bothered by this.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

I think she probably did it. You all think she probably did it. All 12 people on the jury think she probably did it. However, there was no concrete proof that she was guilty, no physical evidence, no witnesses, no smoking gun, nothing. The prosecution had a weak case and could not prove beyond a reasonable doubt that she was guilty. In America's legal system, our gut feelings are not enough (at least they shouldn't be enough, sadly, sometimes they are) to convict somebody, and I am thankful to live in a country where that is the case. I know many people are outraged by the verdict, but it was the right one. The standards of conviction in a court of law are much higher than those in a court of public opinion.

Benjamin

I really don't like all of the people saying shit like "Our legal system is officially fucked."

With every murderer that gets away unharmed, there's someone else who was wrongly accused of murder that the system helped save from going to prison for something they didn't do.

Todd

Todd FLǕGGȦ∂NKđ€ČHIŒβǾLʃÊN LPA Administrator

The thing is, our legal system can be fucked though. People have been freed 20 years after being convicted for a crime they didn't commit. Hell, people have been executed for crimes they didn't commit (see Cameron Todd Willingham).

It worked this time, but there are plenty of times when it doesn't.

Benjamin

But the main principle of it is good. All your doing is proving that it isn't perfect/flawless which is obviously true.

Theazninvasion68

Theazninvasion68 It's like blood to a vampire, our tragic desire. LPA Super VIP

I'm with Todd on this.

And yes, many people do get convicted for a crime they didn't commit.

... And falsely confessed of doing the crime. Strange, I know.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

A lot of signs point to her being guilty. More then anything else though, my heart goes out to the little girl who's life was cut so short.

travz21

travz21 Muscle Museum LPA Super Member

Don't really care too much. They made the right verdict. This kind of stuff happens all over the world and people get away with it. I am curious as to wtf happened, though.

Benjamin

Casey Anthony killed her daughter.
    Yeah, I should have definitely said something like this in the OP. Rest in peace Caylee Anthony :(

The Fortunate One

The Fortunate One Well-Known Member

This is as mysterious as the OJ Simpson fiasco.

Louis

Louis Message me if you need to talk. We love you all. LPA Team

You do not know that she did, and no one else who has been watching this case can say it with absolute certainty. Signs may point to it, but you can't say she did with certainty. I'm not saying that it's not a possibility, but I'm saying that it's unfair to just go ahead and say, "Yeah, she killed her daughter." That's ridiculous to me.

Benjamin

But if I was in the jury I would have said not guilty for everything you just said. It's just my personal opinion and I can't say it's a fact even though it came across that way in my last post. I'd say it's the most likely thing that happened though.

Dusty

Dusty LPA Super VIP LPA Super VIP

And now he is in jail. He was bound to end up in jail one way or another.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

Bitch did it FA SHO. Unless Pennywise the Clown is running around (I started watching Stephen King's IT again last night :awesome:), the only other person that could have done it was Harry Potter under his Invisibility Cloak (10 days until Deathly Hallows Part 2!).

DaMU

DaMU Well-Known Member

I get the human interest side of this, but such big trials always bug me, because the attention is so utterly disproportionate to things of more importance. But that's what happens in the marketplace of human ideas - a lot of shitty stuff gets sold.

MKH

MKH Bat of Gotham LPA Super VIP

#teenmom is trending because everyone wants to see Casey Anthony have another kid and get a reality show on MTV. Season finale: MURDER.

Harlz

Harlz More Scared Of You Than You Are Of Me LPA Super Member

"This is a court of law, not a court of justice"

I forgot who said that, but it seemed relevant.