Breaking The Single

Discussion in 'News' started by Will, Nov 21, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. _PianoPaPercut_

_PianoPaPercut_ Ambient

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *^^*

[welcome to LPA Aerosol.06!! ^^]

2. lp_dreamer

lp_dreamer Well-Known Member

i think its heaps good that they are releasing breaking the habit cuz its one of my fav on meteora ^_^ but i do feel sorry for mike :( they shouldnt have been forced to release it if he didnt want to but he might of known this could happen when they put it on the cd its a really good song (w00t) and i cant wait to see the video :D

3. crawlin_fan

crawlin_fan Well-Known Member

I'm finding it a little hard to understand just why some people are disappointed that BTH is purportedly to be a single. I don't feel bad for Mike at all, not because I'm a callous and unfeeling so and so but because every song on Meteora is fair game when it comes to picking singles and the band knows that. They're not some naive, head-in-the-clouds band, they're well aware of the nature of the game even if they dislike it at times. I mentioned a little earlier that LP seem to have some sort of agreement with the label over artistic v commerical control and I strongly believe that's part of the reason the band works really hard on every song, so there's absolutely no fillers. That way, no matter what's released, they can be proud of the song.

And to be fair, I'd like to think that Warner Brothers knows what they're doing. I read somewhere that LP are a 'VIP' band on the label which in my mind reads that WB not only want to make a commercial profit with them, but it's also important that they maintain their status as a relevant rock band. For some almost inexplicable reason, Linkin Park are continuing with their astounding success while other rock bands around are faltering at every step. Rap/rock, nu-metal, whatever you want to call it is supposed to be in sharp decline and yet look at LP. Warner Brothers in my opinion is very much aware that the band are so far bucking the trend, and they'll want to make sure it stays that way.

Besides, LP have been 'forced' to release songs they didn't want to before; anyone else remember One Step Closer? Chester has stated he was totally bummed out when they were told it was to be a single. And that's the song that really launched them. And when Crawling was released, the band wasn't happy either but look at where that song got them. They won a freaking Grammy for goodness sake! And the latest example, 'Numb', is not only racing up the charts at breakneck speed but I've heard alot of people who aren't necessarily LP fans comment on how stylish and artistic the song was. Who knew? ;)

So who knows where BTH might lead? A second Grammy? More success? More credibility as genuine and sincerely talented songwriters? It's very easy to be pessimistic and negative about the way BTH has been chosen to be released but I'm excited for the band. I'm not trying to tell anyone how to feel about the news, I'm just saying that after the kneejerk reaction, perhaps it's not such a bad thing afterall.

4. Mcnasty

Mcnasty Y2K

wow we got alot of new people here :D WELCOME.

5. fearphobic

fearphobic Well-Known Member

man, ok, Breaking The Habit is one of my fav songs, but i'm feeling bad for Mike :( . stupid Warner Bros company, i don't get y they r allowed to force a band to release a single...itz dumb. oh well, i hope Mike is fine with it, itz such a personal song for him.

well there is no doubt abt BTH doing well, cuz' itz such an amazing song :D

6. breaking_point

breaking_point Member

:teehee: Hi. I'm new, kinda. Anyway, BTH is a great song (One of my personal favorites). I have mixed feelings about it coming out as a single.
    The good :D -
    -Awesome song
    -And it has potental to have an amazing vid.
    -There are people that may have never heard the song before until it comes out and have something to relate to.
    The bad :wth: -
    -Mike had never really wanted it to become a single because it is so personal... (I'm not going to say that he still feels that way because he might or might not... Too bad we can't read his mind sometimes)
    -Parents may complain again that the song will "make" kids want to commit suicide because it's "cool" (Sadly my parents and I have this descussion way too much)
    -My preppy little next door neighbor will know all the words to the song just because its cool and not even know why Mike made the song... (sorry that has become a pet peeve of mine...)

Those are just my little opinions...

7. Omar A

Omar A Beyond Science LPA Super Member

Exactly what I wanted to day :D

8. Cassie

Cassie The time to hesitate is through.

I totally agree with your opinions ;) Especially about the parents complaining and preppy kids knowing the lyrics :angry:

9. Will

Will LPA Addicted VIP LPA Addicted VIP

I totally agree with your opinions ;) Especially about the parents complaining and preppy kids knowing the lyrics :angry: [/b][/quote]
    Welcome to the forums Neil's girlfriend. Have fun posting and be sure to read the rules.

:lol:

10. Anthony.

Anthony. .Orestes LPA Super VIP

I totally agree with your opinions ;) Especially about the parents complaining and preppy kids knowing the lyrics :angry: [/b][/quote]
    Hey, welcome here :D . Have fun ;) .

11. Omar A

Thats only if the video is going to be about suicide. The song has no prove that its Suicidal :rolleyes:

12. Cassie

Hey, welcome here :D . Have fun ;) . [/b][/quote]
    Thanks for the replies Avenger and Will :D I feel welcomed :teehee:

13. Alacrity

Alacrity don't stop talking to me; i haven't been listening LPA Super Member

Exactly what I wanted to day :D [/b][/quote]
    I understand what your saying...a very good comment to everybody (including me) that were mad about the song being a single.

Maybe it wont be so bad

14. Cassie

Thats only if the video is going to be about suicide. The song has no prove that its Suicidal :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    When I first listened to the lyrics of BTH, I believed it had a similar feel to suicide... I'm not quite sure that may be the case though :wth:

15. Ryan

Ryan You Greasy Bastard LPA Super VIP

And to all the people on the LPA forums who kept repeatedly saying, "oh Lp will never release Breaking the Habit as a single" or "Mike said that Breaking the Habit won't be a single," or anything else along those lines, just remember don't listen to what you hear, not everything you hear is the truth. And people wonder why rumors get started.

16. Omar A

Its not a rumor when it was really said by Mike that BTH will not be a single. :rolleyes:

17. Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

Its not a rumor when it was really said by Mike that BTH will not be a single. :rolleyes: [/b][/quote]
    did we all assume that because of the pesonal connection he has with that song, he wouldnt release it as a single? can anyone find that quote? if so, does he really say "it will never be a single" or something more like "i wouldn't like it to be a single"?

18. Kæton

Kæton is Keaton LPA Über VIP

Let us put a stop to all this bickering. Look at these examples. I'm beginning to think that either the fans are shoving words down the band's throats or the band's not 100% behind what they say.

1) The hidden track is supposedly called "Ambient" or something like that. Supposedly Mike said it was, but yet it's not official.
    2) Mike said Nobody's Listening would never be played live (he said it in a radio interview when Meteora first came out), and that I remember 100% he said that because I was listening, yet I hear of the song being played live.
    3) Mike said Breaking the Habit wouldn't become a single. I remember reading/hearing this somewhere, but I don't remember where, so basically we cannot call it official until given proof.

Now it's obvious someone has the misleading mouth so we need to just stop this... It's so dumb that we've basically been bickering about this for pages... We're freaking fans of the same band, and even though I don't agree with it, I'm not being a smartass and putting others down. C'mon people, this is getting really, really immature... This same sh*t's going down on the LPMB, if you want to bicker about it, go there and bicker because really... It shouldn't matter, here.

19. Ander

Ander LPA VIP LPA Super VIP

yea, the LPA forum is way better than the LPMB.

20. akorch16

akorch16 Active Member

i personally think breaking the habit is a great choice for a single... no matter what your preferences are, there's no denying its the best lyrically, musically, and melodically... however, i think the song could be ruined if the video does not relate to the song... if the videos just the band performing with random clips of live footage, the songs gonna be torn apart. lp needs to carefully release a video so it gives ppl an idea of what the song is actually about, and that its not just a song with a catchy melody (which i think none of this will be true... they're not dumb, theyre gonna make the video amazing)

also, mike definetely said that 'the song wasn't gonna be a single'... i cant remember where it was, it mightve been the rolling stone thing in january where there was a brief description of the new album and breaking the habit, it mightve been a chat... but it was definetly said. but the extent to which ppl are taking it is untrue. mike never said 'the song is too personal to be released' or that 'someone would have to force him to release the song as single'... mike actually never said that he 'didnt want' bth to be a single... he just said that it wasnt gonna be a single.. actually if i remember correctly he said 'breaking the habit will never be a single', but he never said anything about his prefernces towards it

i do think there was probably some controversy over bth being released single. but, i think the controversy wouldve come from the band, not warner brothers. i think most likely the band probably wouldve argued over bth being a single and if it was too personal... if they were forced by warner bros to release it single, they wouldnt sit down and say 'alright fine'... they probably wouldve filed a suit or some legal crap

and i think a lot of you are losing perspective on what a single actually is. its a song that makes ppl want to buy the album, not a song that is released or not released depending on your personal preferences. if i had my way i would release 'hit the floor' but i know that that song isnt gonna sell meteora as easily as breaking the habit will. you really cant deny that bth is gonna sell meteora, and if you do deny it wait another 2 months and check billboard

bth is gonna be a phenomanal single (its already a phenomanal song) and im excited to see what becomes of it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.